KrisFlyer Devaluation: Changes to KrisFlyer Redemption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KrisFlyer Devaluation: Changes to KrisFlyer Redemption

I just got this in my email a few minutes ago, looks like they are starting to listen to us!

Dear Mr Tanandika,

As part of our ongoing commitment to making your membership more rewarding, we will be introducing a number of redemption enhancements to the KrisFlyer programme on 29 September 2008 – offering you greater value, convenience and flexibility in redeeming your KrisFlyer miles for award tickets.

Redeem one-way award tickets with FEWER MILES
    When you redeem your miles for a one-way award ticket, you will only need 50% of the usual number of miles for a round-trip award ticket (instead of the existing 70%).

No change to the SAVER AWARD
    The Saver award will continue to offer the best value for your miles. It is available on most aircraft types in Economy, Business and First Class, and with no change to the number of miles required for a round-trip ticket.

The Unrestricted award will be renamed STANDARD AWARD
    The Standard award will continue to offer extended ticket validity as well as two free stopovers per round-trip.

More seats available with the new award type, FULL AWARD
    Currently, there are two award types available for redemption – Saver award and Unrestricted award. We are introducing the Full award, a new award type that helps meet the demand on popular flights, especially during peak periods. This means that you will soon have a choice of three award types for redemption – Saver award, Standard award (renamed from Unrestricted award) and Full award.

With the Full award, you will have access to more redemption seats and enjoy greater flexibility when planning your itinerary.

Mix and match your desired award types and classes of travel
    With three award types and reduced number of miles for one-way award tickets, we will offer you the flexibility to mix and match the various award types and even different classes of travel.

A more user-friendly experience with Online Redemption Booking
    Online redemption booking will be made more convenient. Simply indicate your preferred destination and class of travel and you can easily select from an array of available award types.

To find out more about these enhancements, please click here.

We look forward to enhancing your experience as a PPS Club member.

Yours Sincerely,

Chen Sy Yen
    Senior Manager Loyalty Marketing

Was just about to post it too.

The "Standard" and "Full" is extremely ominous... The devaluation continues.

On the bright side, the 50% for one-way redemption is good news. Allows mix-and-match with BD awards, and positioning for taking advantage of good fares.

Comment

Sounds like they've been taking lessons from DL Skymiles

The one-way is the biggest plus though...I can use the last remaining KrisFlyer miles in my account

Comment

More details here:
        http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...hancements.jsp

Comment

I'm a long time SQ loyalist.
          What will make me jump ship?

Paying premium fares to earn miles, then not being able to redeem miles earned
          Yesterday I asked to redeem 2 saver awards to Bali in November.
          No seats on the days and times I wanted.

OK so I told them any day in Nov at any time.
          Still no seats!

Perhaps by introducing a new tier, I'll be able to find more availability

Comment

Thanks for the post Tanandika.

I hope the introduction of the new 3 class system doesn't make it harder to get a "Saver Award".

Without knowing all the details it does look similar to the new Qantas model, without the payment option.

SQ238.

Comment

It is available on most aircraft types in Economy, Business and First Class, and with no change to the number of miles required for a round-trip ticket.
              The new J and/or F are already onboard A345, 77W, and A380. In the longer term, Saver award for J and F will be for mostly regional routes.

Comment

Full awards = more miles needed = Goodbye Krisflyer

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                  Full awards = more miles needed = Goodbye Krisflyer
                  That's how I read it as well. It would mean more miles are needed for any popular flights (Europe, America, Bali?).

The only good thing is the one way flights. Have they posted the miles required for a FULL award?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
                    That's how I read it as well. It would mean more miles are needed for any popular flights (Europe, America, Bali?).

The only good thing is the one way flights. Have they posted the miles required for a FULL award?
                    They did a sample 1-way from SIN-LHR on Biz
                    Saver: 60K
                    Standard: 120K
                    Full: 315K

That's the last straw......

Comment

Just got the email as well.

Originally posted by milehighj View Post

The "Standard" and "Full" is extremely ominous... The devaluation continues.

On the bright side, the 50% for one-way redemption is good news.
                      Indeed. I agree one-way is nice but the rest does not sound good at all.

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                      The new J and/or F are already onboard A345, 77W, and A380. In the longer term, Saver award for J and F will be for mostly regional routes.
                      Quite. That's what a few have said for a while now.

Good grief. With the exception of someone who has a few million miles in their account, who in their right mind will pay 315,000 KF miles to go to Europe, one way, in J ???!!!.

I suppose this puts an end to any vague hopes that the ludicrous restrictions on the 77W redemptions would be reduced any time soon...

Comment

The good thing for me:
                        possibility for a reasonable 1-way F award redemption for "old" planes.

Comment

Saver: 60K
                          Standard: 120K

WTF?? SQ must really hate frequent flyers!

Comment

SQ MUST BE OUT OF THEIR MINDS

I can only express my strong disappointment with the changes made. It is a pity that Singapore Airlines has not listened to its frequent flyers and continues to maintain a frequent flyer program that is not appreciating its most loyal customers. Reasons are:

- SQ has not revised the earning ratios. F over Y is still earning only 175% over 125% for PPS members. The ticket value is not reflected in the way miles are earned sufficiently.

- SQ has further deflated the value of miles. A Full Award in First Class SIN-LON-SIN is charged at 972.000 miles. This would require 95 segements in full paid F as a PPS (5878 x 1,75 = 10281) or 48 full fare tickets at 14.000 SGD = 672.000 SGD.

- SQ has not eased the conditions to buy KF miles. The above Full Award in First if purchased as KF miles would value at 54.432 SGD (972.000 x 0.056 SGD) - ridiculous.

- SQ has not opened A345, 77W and A380 for cheaper redemptions in F and J. The current F offering on 772 and 773 is a joke and a disgrace for SQ. I don't see that awards are "available on most aircrafts" for premium booking classes.

- SQ is still refusing upgrades to Suites.

- SQ will continue charging PPS members the same fees as any other customer in most cases.

- SQ does not show how PPS would have easier access to Saver awards and does not reduce Standard/Full Award prices for QPP or TPP.

The changes published are not worth the paper they are printed on - I am very disappointed that SQ has not understood its customers' needs.

I am sure other airlines will appreciate my business more...

Comment

Right now, I am just trying to burn my last miles with KF...intend to go out with a bang with a F redemption (HKG-SFO-HKG) probably in January. Thanks to this news, I have all the miles for a 1-way redemption...but availaibility is still a question mark though....

After that, goodbye KF....will probably take SQ for the routine trips to SIN, but, I will start crediting miles to M&M probably....

Comment

Working...
                              X