Tricky *A Redemption Project to TSE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 259850 View Post
    Don't go through immigration until at most 90 minutes before your flight.
    Isn't 90 mins cutting it quite tight? I only departed PEK once, that was timing to leave and reach the airport about 2 hours before the flight. Traffic jam probably took 30 mins, then the security after immigration took about 1 hr. Left me with barely enough time to shower, then last few to board the plane, with little time to spare, which is about what you mentioned, the (at most) 90 mins to go thru immigration, which was just enough for me. I'd put it as at least 90 mins.

Comment

Originally posted by fone View Post
      Isn't 90 mins cutting it quite tight? I only departed PEK once, that was timing to leave and reach the airport about 2 hours before the flight. Traffic jam probably took 30 mins, then the security after immigration took about 1 hr. Left me with barely enough time to shower, then last few to board the plane, with little time to spare, which is about what you mentioned, the (at most) 90 mins to go thru immigration, which was just enough for me. I'd put it as at least 90 mins.
      It's just me, I hate waiting in airports. So I live my life arriving at airports just in time and rushing through clearance, etc. I'm almost always one of the last to board. Lol!!

In PEK, it really depends on time of day. It is a lot busier at night. Less busy in the afternoon when SQ807 leaves. But you're right, best to not listen to my advice. At least 90 minutes it is!

Comment

Originally posted by 259850 View Post
        In PEK, it really depends on time of day. It is a lot busier at night. Less busy in the afternoon when SQ807 leaves. But you're right, best to not listen to my advice. At least 90 minutes it is!
        I'm just stating my one and only experience at PEK, and I believe my flight was SQ807, others might have different experiences, just like US immigration, sometimes it is a 5 min wait, sometimes it can take an hour.

Comment

I'm at the other end of the spectrum. Even flights from MEL, I arrive 3 hours before departure. A close friend once labeled me as "incapable of missing a flight". (He has missed many!) I simply can't face the stress of wondering if I'll make it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
            I'm at the other end of the spectrum. Even flights from MEL, I arrive 3 hours before departure. A close friend once labeled me as "incapable of missing a flight". (He has missed many!) I simply can't face the stress of wondering if I'll make it or not.
            I'm like that too. Looks like a great itinerary. And I agree with SQueeze that TSE is indeed a bizarre city to visit for a holiday. You should try to visit Borovoe - but be prepared to speak only Russian there (Astana is fine). I think the expo site might still be around and it'd be interesting to see the aftermath of KZ's 'death star'

Comment

Originally posted by EWR View Post
              I think the expo site might still be around and it'd be interesting to see the aftermath of KZ's 'death star'
              Expo Site will be converted to commercial space. But I am not sure how the ‘death star’ can be converted. The floor plan and shape are not suitable.

So SQ228, May be you should make a trip report and show what it’s like.

My recent trip to Astana is ready in the Trip Report section here

It’s a surreal place - a cross between Las Vegas, Dubai, and a Chinese suburban.

I prefer Almaty anytime, it’s like a giant park, the greenest city I have been to.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
                Expo Site will be converted to commercial space. But I am not sure how the ‘death star’ can be converted. The floor plan and shape are not suitable.

It’s a surreal place - a cross between Las Vegas, Dubai, and a Chinese suburban.

I prefer Almaty anytime, it’s like a giant park, the greenest city I have been to.
                What a marvelous trip report! Brings back memories - I especially remember gazing out the window and looking at those surreal landscapes (and I never take the window seat). I actually liked KC's service and all the freebies they give out. The planes were just a little old though.

Can't wait for KC to fly between SIN and ALA in 2019 (fingers crossed)

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post

Thank you!

Yes, I left you a couple of questions after it, but I really appreciate information direct from a fellow traveller, so can't thank you enough. I'm just this week preparing a large exhibition of my architectural photographs, so with that done I'm heading to Beijing and Astana for some new inspiration!

Comment

Working...
                  X