Jogging/Cycling along Changi Coast Road and Tanah Merah Coast Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Thanks for posting, 9V-JKL! The new coastal route looks to be more scenic, and I hope they include rest stops, and maybe even a refreshment stand.

It will add at least 4-5km to the route though, if not more! Which is great if you are cycling, but for those on foot, it just makes it even more of a challenge to get all the way to Changi Point!

Comment

Looks like the last chance to cycle or walk/run on the old Changi Coast Road is 22 April 2017 (Less than a month away).

It will be closed on 22 April, to make way for the longer route around the reclaimed land/new airport extension.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...rah-coast-road

On the bright side, the new road will have a dedicated 2-way on-road cycling lane.

The new route is outlined here:

Comment

New Coastal Route - Tanah Merah Coast Road

On 22nd April 2017, the stretch of Changi Coast Road running between the airport and the reclaimed land was closed to facilitate airport construction, and a new coastal route was opened by extending Tanah Merah Coast Road and connecting it with Aviation Park Road before rejoining Changi Coast Road near to Changi Beach Park.

This new route has a dedicated cycling lane along much of the road, as well as a full park connector (PCN) path, suitable for walking/jogging and cycling as well along the entire route.

This route adds about 6+ km to the distance required to get the Coastal Park Connector (At the start of Changi Coast Road) to Changi Beach Park. i.e. The length of Changi Coast Road was about 6+ to 7 km. The new route around the reclaimed land is about 12+ km.

Yesterday, I went out at 5pm for an evening run to check out this new route, starting from close to the East Coast Lagoon, and heading along East Coast Park towards Changi, then hitting the Park Connectors and Tanah Merah Coast Road and ending at Changi Village.

How did it go? Read on to find out...
          Last edited by yflyer; 26 April 2017, 11:25 PM.

Comment

The first part of my run was along East Coast Park, along the walking path there, right up to National Service Resort and Country Club and the Belly View Cafe, before heading along the curved and wooded Coastal Park Connector, along the waterfront, and coming up to the old junction of Changi Coast Road and Tanah Merah Coast Road.

The stretch of Changi Coast Road which runs parallel to runway 02C (Which this SQ 773ER is about to land on) is now closed...

Instead, you turn right onto Tanah Merah Coast Road, along the 12.1 km PCN (or dedicated cycling lane) to Changi Beach Park.

Last edited by yflyer; 27 April 2017, 09:56 AM.

Comment

There is a dedicated cycling lane (One for each direction of travel) on the left side of Tanah Merah Coast Road...

...and a paved park connector which can be used by both pedestrians and cyclists.

Much of the right side of the PCN is state land, which is out of bounds.

Further up the PCN, there was a large worker's dormitory. Along this part of the PCN, you occasionally encountered a construction work or two, either walking or cycling along the PCN, or simply taking a break, and sitting along the side of the track, on their phones or having a snack.

There is also a small coffee shop and food outlet there, which is probably the last toilet and place to get a drink or a snack, along the route.

From there, the PCN curves towards the north east, close to the coastline.

There are a couple of bus stops along Tanah Merah Coast Road, served by bus 35.

And then, probably the best or the worst part of the route, depending on your point of view: a straight 4+ km strength along the edge of the reclaimed land, where the PCN and bike path stretched straight into infinity, with no end in sight, disappearing into the evening mist.

If you are into the zen of running, and just want to zone out while striding forward towards a point in the horizon that never seems to get any closer, then this is the place for you!

Comment

Just under 5km into the route, I encountered my first shelter...this would be useful shelter from the sun, or in case of a thunderstorm (There seemed to be lightning protection incorporated into this shelter.).

Another shelter could be found a further 1km up the PCN, and this one had nice views of the sea.

This was the 2nd of 4 PCN shelters along the route, evenly spaced along the long straight stretch of Tanah Merah Coast Road.

As the evening wore, on the sun began to set, however this route is very well lit, and there would be no problems cycling or talking along this route at night.

I spotted several cyclists along the way, either on the dedicated cycling lane on the road, or on the PCN itself.

There were a couple of others on PMDs.

I did not notice anyone else on foot at any point of my run that evening , although I am sure others have either walked or run this route on weekends or in the morning.

Eventually the PCN along Tanah Merah Coast Road joins up with Aviation Park Road, along the stretch where they normally have the Singapore Air Show displays, and then, around the 12km mark, you eventually join up with the remainder of Changi Coast Road just before Changi Beach Park.

The picture below was taken at the junction of Aviation Park Road and Changi Coast Road. The Changi control tower is visible in the distance.

Last edited by yflyer; 2 May 2017, 04:16 PM.

Comment

From that point, I was back on familiar ground, with Changi Beach Park just a few hundred meters up the road.

At that hour (almost 8pm) on a weekday, the park was quite deserted, but it was very well lit.

There is also a large restroom facility there with vending machines for drinks.

There used to be a refreshment stand that opened till 7pm, but that appears to have closed.

From there, it is a pleasant 3+ km path along the windy coastline to Changi Village, with great views of aircraft landing / taking off from runway 02L/20R as you cycle or jog under their flight path.

I ended my run at Changi Village, where I treated myself to an icy glass of coconut water. A lot of good food there as well, if you are up to a meal at the end of a run or cycle.

Total distance covered that day: 24km, with the first part of the run along the East Coast Park before hitting the Coastal Park Connector and Tanah Merah Coast Road.

Overall impressions?

Quite a pleasant route.

You no longer have the opportunity to plane-spot as you go along the Changi Coast Road parallel to runway 02/20C, but apart from that, the path is well paved, well lit, and quite scenic at some points.

The added distance would be no problem if you were a cyclist, and a proper cycling lane is great from the perspective of safety.

If on foot, the added 6+ km distance does make a run a little more challenging, not to mention it taking more time (On that day, it took me a leisurely 2 hrs 55 min) , but on the whole I found it to be quite an enjoyable running route, especially if you prefer to run on a perfectly flat, straight path in a very serene, quiet and peaceful setting.

Look forward to doing this run again soon...maybe this coming weekend!
                  Last edited by yflyer; 27 April 2017, 09:52 AM.

Comment

I hope they won't make this a marathon route, then they would have to close the track for a day depriving the rest of the population.

Yet to try cycling or PMDing on it due to travel the last two weeks.... will likely have a go on it May 1st.
                    This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

The old coastal road was one of my favourite drives in Singapore.

In fact, I took a drive up to Changi Village for breakfast over the Easter long weekend.

The queue at the famous nasi lemak stall was long and they ran out of otak otak at 7am!

I also found out that Charlie's is now open at the weekends

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                        I hope they won't make this a marathon route, then they would have to close the track for a day depriving the rest of the population.

Yet to try cycling or PMDing on it due to travel the last two weeks.... will likely have a go on it May 1st.
                        I've seen at least one competitive event on the old Changi Coast Road, although on that occasion, the track was still open to the public.

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                        The old coastal road was one of my favourite drives in Singapore.

In fact, I took a drive up to Changi Village for breakfast over the Easter long weekend.

The queue at the famous nasi lemak stall was long and they ran out of otak otak at 7am!

I also found out that Charlie's is now open at the weekends
                        Yes, apart from cycling or running, the drive along that route was great too.

Super long queues for nasi lemak at Changi Village!

If you are into nasi lemak, you should also check out Coconut Club at Ann Siang Hill...
                        Last edited by yflyer; 7 May 2017, 11:14 PM.

Comment

I did the Coastal Road again yesterday, this time starting from the Park Connector starting at Guards Avenue (Opposite Kew Drive), just off Upper East Coast Road before the Bedok Road bend. This park connector links to the beach along East Coast Park, and from there you can head directly to the Coast Road.

It was a sunny late afternoon on 1st May, and the route was much busier than my previous run the week before. I saw many cyclists, both serious cyclists on the dedicated cycling lane, as well as amateurs and families on a relaxing cycle along the PCN. And there were a handful of runners as well.

A pic from later in the run as the sun was setting, along Tanah Merah Coast Road, looking back towards the southwest.

Along Aviation Park Road, I also noticed this painted sign on the ground, a tantalizing preview of things to come...

Wonder when the PCN Round Island Route will be ready?

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                            If you are into nasi lemak, you should also check out Coconut Club at Ann Siang Hill...
                            There're super long queues there as well!

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                              There're super long queues there as well!
                              Yes, queues at Coconut Club can get very long. The trick is to get there on or before 11.45am. After 12, the starts to build up and by 12.30 be prepared for a very long wait to get in!

Comment

yflyer you shd begin to do reviews for Run magazines too Good coverage on the the new route. I dont think I'll try running a flat no-end-in-sight-oh-the-horizon-is-so-faraway route. I might if I'm 18 year old again and a particular sadistic PTI is shouting down at me, but (I'm glad) that's past. Good timing you have I must add, in view of the late PM heat

Comment

Working...
                                X