Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping for Digital SLR Camera in FRA

Dear all
    Am transiting at FRA (DXB-FRA-YYZ) in mid Sep. Expected layover is about 4 hours (between 0555 and 1045). Original plan was to take the S-Bahn to some shopping street and look for camera but not sure this is realistic as I also wanted to use the Sen Lounge to zzzz before next flight. Seems that there are electronic shops in both public and secured places within the airport.

What would be the best advise? To buy or not to buy.

regards
    there's nothing more rewarding than flying for free, is there??

I'm pretty certain that FRA airport will not be the cheapest place to buy a DSLR, even without the tax. Airport duty frees are very rarely a good place to buy electronics except for non-discounted products like Apple products.

I would suggest doing some research for prices at DXB and YYZ so that you know whether you should buy it there or not.

Comment

If u r in TPE, the duty free prices was quite OK...I saw a Canon 500D going for around NT$22,000 which is quite cheap.

Comment

I think you'll get a better deal on an SLR at somewhere like Sharaf DG in Dubai - I have found them to be cheaper than the DF at Dubai airport

Comment

Agree with other responses, price should be cheaper in selective other parts of the world (e.g. DXB, U.S., HKG, etc.)

I'll be going through FRA this Mon/Tue, with an overnight stay and a quick pass through the DF shops before taking SQ26 the next morning.

If you like I could have a quick look at the prices there. Which model and lens are you interested in?

If you stay in Europe long enough you may also want to try http://www.technikdirekt.de - supposedly they have some of the cheapest prices in the E.U. (but not duty free), and they deliver in many E.U. countries by post.

Comment

dear all

Thanks for the enthusiastic responses, and TPE is a bit out of way. Seems that the Dubai prices cover only retail shop domestic warrantee for a year only. Hence the lower price (but I may be wrong, pls let me know). Checked the web and seems that the German laws require them to offer a 2 year international warrantee.

N_Arch: Thanks for your kind offer to check the price. Am looking specifically for the Nikon D60 model with the standard SLR lens (Sorry, not sure what the standard lens is offered with the D60 kit, will check and PM you shortly).

To all Canon fans out there, pls don't start a debate on this subject of Canon vs Nikon.

Comment

Will check the D60 & AF-S 18-55 VR lens price on Tue morning in the FRA duty free and revert. Mind you I won't be carrying a computer with me but as soon as I happen to have (either in FRA or in the U.S.) internet access, I'll log in and let you know.

Comment

No worries. Many thanks.

Comment

Global Nomad: D5000 & the 18-55 VR are Eur 899 in FRA Main, sold as kit, D60 was told is 'old model' and they don't stock it no more.

Comment

Personally I would steer well clear of buying anything other than the essentials in FRA, if it wasn't for the fact I was desperate to charge my laptop & cell phone there is no way I would ever pay EUR65 for a multi plug travel converter..

Considering the price back home for the same model was around $AUD30..

Just my $0.02 worth...

Comment

Thanks for the all the advise. So will save my money. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X