Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Istanbul trip, Jan 2013 - Tour Guide & Dinner Venue suggestions needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I met up with an IST-based FTer and she recommended this site:
    http://istanbuleats.com/

Comment

Yes, I've taken a long walk in the Kumkapi area, east and north of it. In the east, it's a very raw local area, you will see the real Istanbul. You'll see many migrant type people mingling in the area. Some shops look as if they have been there for dozens of years. People are very friendly especially if you make eye contact and smile. One tea shop owner invited us into his shop and refused to charge us for the tea! That's great Turkish hospitality very unlike the shops along the tourist belt near the mosques. Only problem is that hardly anyone speaks English, and my Turkish was quite hopeless despite 5-min lessons every morning from our hotel's breakfast lady!

Recommend this place if you have time after visiting all the other great sights!

If you want a restaurant with a great view of the Galata Bridge and Tower, try the Hamdi Restaurant at Rüstem Paşa Mh. Kalçin Sokak No:17 Fatih; a stone's throw west of the Spice Market. Go right up to the top floor; they have a balcony with a million dollar view on a clear day.

Comment

Guys, we're back!

A real good trip, my wife and i really enjoyed ourselves immensely.

thank you SQTalkers once again for all your recommendations, they were spot on!

Trip report coming soon!

Stay tuned.

Coolnite
        Singapore

Comment

Originally posted by Coolnite View Post
          Guys, we're back!

A real good trip, my wife and i really enjoyed ourselves immensely.

thank you SQTalkers once again for all your recommendations, they were spot on!

Trip report coming soon!

Stay tuned.

Coolnite
          Singapore

We just flew out of there this afternoon - enjoyed it too

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
            We just flew out of there this afternoon - enjoyed it too
            Looks like you too caught that light snow on Sunday the 27th as well SQflyergirl?

We were in Taksim at 2pm when it started and Fathih at 5pm when it got a little heavy.

Pics will be uploaded soon, still selecting the, over 500+ to choose from.

Comment

Looks like you too caught that light snow on Sunday the 27th as well SQflyergirl?

We were in Taksim at 2pm when it started and Fathih at 5pm when it got a little heavy.
              Jealous, I ended up trading my IST for USM this month
              Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Pics will be uploaded soon, still selecting the, over 500+ to choose from.
                Not really. We flew into IST on the 27th and didn't get to the Ceylan IC till late at night thanks to TK.

Comment

If there's ever a reason for me to go there, this would be it:

https://www.mpowerexperience.com/en/event.php

2.5 days filled with pure excitement in a city with 1001 faces! An unforgettable, breathtaking experience of speed and adrenaline for any motorsports enthusiast. You will have the unique opportunity, and be one of the first, to experience the all-new BMW M3 and BMW M4 on the former Formula 1 race track ‘Istanbul Park Circuit’. 431 Horsepower, ready to conquer the 3.317 miles offering one of the world’s most challenging driving sessions. A combination of 14 bends, multiple elevation changes, and the distinctive “Turn 8”, a 180°high-speed bend with no less than four angles, will make you feel the power of our icons.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                    If there's ever a reason for me to go there, this would be it:

https://www.mpowerexperience.com/en/event.php

2.5 days filled with pure excitement in a city with 1001 faces! An unforgettable, breathtaking experience of speed and adrenaline for any motorsports enthusiast. You will have the unique opportunity, and be one of the first, to experience the all-new BMW M3 and BMW M4 on the former Formula 1 race track ‘Istanbul Park Circuit’. 431 Horsepower, ready to conquer the 3.317 miles offering one of the world’s most challenging driving sessions. A combination of 14 bends, multiple elevation changes, and the distinctive “Turn 8”, a 180°high-speed bend with no less than four angles, will make you feel the power of our icons.

Nice!

Comment

9V-SIA, Pics from the ///M event

http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/bmw-4-s...ml#post1089559

Comment

Working...
                      X