X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANA - We fly 1st 2008

NH has created their own 1st to fly promo for the 787:

http://www.ana.co.jp/promotion/b787/index_e.html

Don't know about the rest of you, but I look forward more to flying the 787 than the 380
    Last edited by 9V-JKL; 9 July 2007, 03:34 PM.

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
    NH has created their own 1st to fly promo for the 787:

http://www.ana.co.jp/promotion/b787/index_e.html

Don't know about the rest of you, but I look forward more to flying the 787 than the 380
    The A380 of course. I prefer larger planes, and the A380 will be more exciting to fly on than a 787.

Comment

Originally posted by WSSS View Post
      The A380 of course. I prefer larger planes, and the A380 will be more exciting to fly on than a 787.
      I have to agree with 9V-JKL on this one - to me, there's nothing particularly exciting about the prospect of flying the A380 (don't get me wrong, of course I'll enjoy the experience when it comes around!),...the 787 is where it's at I reckon,...plus it has that all important Boeing name behind it, which will always make it a superior product in my eyes

Comment

Originally posted by WSSS View Post
        The 787 of course.

The A380 is old technology (20th century manufacturing methods and design) and is merely evolutionary. Nothing groundbreaking about this aircraft aside from its massive size (and I have no idea why so many people are so fired up to fly with 600 of their fellow passengers!).

The 787, by virtue of its all-electric systems, carbon fiber construction, and innovations such as electromagnetic window shades, all-LED cabin lighting, and higher cabin humidity, promises to be revolutionary rather than evolutionary.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycrab955 View Post
          The 787 of course.

The A380 is old technology (20th century manufacturing methods and design) and is merely evolutionary. Nothing groundbreaking about this aircraft aside from its massive size (and I have no idea why so many people are so fired up to fly with 600 of their fellow passengers!).

The 787, by virtue of its all-electric systems, carbon fiber construction, and innovations such as electromagnetic window shades, all-LED cabin lighting, and higher cabin humidity, promises to be revolutionary rather than evolutionary.
          At last! .... a response explaining your reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
            At last! .... a response explaining your reasons.
            What, you thought it was simply a visceral reaction?

Comment

Originally posted by crazycrab955 View Post
              Given that I don't fly that often, I'm looking forward to flying with both new aircraft. While I'm impressed with the size of the Airbus A380, I'm equally excited about the revolutionary systems used in the manufacturing of the Boeing 787. I would say the A380, while being evolutionary, does have a major impact on route planning, yield management, airport operations, etc. Where the B787 makes a difference is only in the customer-facing aspects.

That said, I'm not sure if I look forward to having the electromagnetic window shades. I like the flexibility of being able to gaze out of my window anytime to take pictures, while trying not to a nuisance to other passengers of course. I reckon that my ability to do this will be greatly diminished with the arrival of the new shades.
              My Cafe Adventures
              Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
              http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

As long as some nice FA smiles at me & shoves a glass of Champagne in my fist before take off, I imagine I'll be just as happy on either on them!

Comment

That said, I'm not sure if I look forward to having the electromagnetic window shades. I like the flexibility of being able to gaze out of my window anytime to take pictures, while trying not to a nuisance to other passengers of course. I reckon that my ability to do this will be greatly diminished with the arrival of the new shades.
                  Wha? can you explain the electromagnetic window shade concept to me?

Comment

Originally posted by Greatfox View Post
                    Wha? can you explain the electromagnetic window shade concept to me?
                    I don't know the technical concepts behind the electromagnetic window shades, but I reckon cabin crew will be able to adust the opaqueness of the shades for the entire aircraft with the flick of a button, depending on the aircraft's location and local time (read sleeping or waking hours). Individual travellers will lose the flexibility of being able to see out of the windows at will. This is the point I was trying to make.

Singapore-based travellers might already have had a taste of such windows, as something similar has been installed on the Bukit Panjang LRT system. Look here.
                    My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Originally posted by The High Flyer View Post
                      I don't know the technical concepts behind the electromagnetic window shades, but I reckon cabin crew will be able to adust the opaqueness of the shades for the entire aircraft with the flick of a button, depending on the aircraft's location and local time (read sleeping or waking hours). Individual travellers will lose the flexibility of being able to see out of the windows at will. This is the point I was trying to make.
                      Do you have a source for this? I have not read this anywhere.

As I understand it, individual travellers will be able to "open" or "close" their windows as always. The electromagnetic technology allows you to adjust the level of tint or opacity, rather than on today's aircraft where the choice is pretty much full or none.

Comment

http://corporateportal.ppg.com/PPG/FeaturedContent/

The electrochromic transparencies will allow passengers to adjust the amount of light transmitted to five different levels from dark to clear, with a manual override for use by the flight crew. The dimmable window panels will be inserted between the exterior cabin window and interior plastic dust cover.

“Passengers will be able to control the amount of solar energy that enters the cabin to reduce solar light and heat transmittance for more comfort, and there will be less stress on the heating and air conditioning system,” Morris said. “Because there will be no window shades, interior space will be more attractive.”

Electrochromic technology uses electricity to darken an electrically conductive medium between two layers of glass. Turning off the electricity bleaches, or lightens, the medium.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, crazycrab955 and 9V-JKL. I stand corrected.

...with a manual override for use by the flight crew
                          I take this to mean the forced "lifting" of shades during takeoff and landing?
                          My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Originally posted by The High Flyer View Post
                            Thanks for the clarification, crazycrab955 and 9V-JKL. I stand corrected.

I take this to mean the forced "lifting" of shades during takeoff and landing?
                            I think The High Flyer means that pax may well be unable to open the shades if desired, for example, during "forced sleep" periods, when it may well be light outside, but the cabin is dark. This will be bad for me (I rarely sleep) because I love to peek out of the window. If there is a crew override in place, it may mean that "shades down" means "shades down FULL STOP". Most probably liquid crystal or similar.

Saying this, it will be easier for the FAs if all shades are automatically up for takeoff and landing, rather than walking the aisles and asking pax to open them.

Comment

Received a package from NH while I was locked up last week.....included were some stickers, and other promo garbage....The "secret" word is that they will auction off the first flight too.

Comment

Working...
                              X