Japan Visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan Visa

I intend to burn my SQ miles by making a turn-around trip SIN-NRT-SIN. Do I need to apply for the Japan visa and do they allow such turn-around trip??

Thanks.

Should be allowed - what passport are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
      Should be allowed - what passport are you using?
      I am holding an Indonesian passport. But when I try to book the tickets online, the system gave me this one: "This flight should depart at least 4 hours after the arrival of the previous flight. Please select another flight."

Duh

Comment

Originally posted by YK@HKG View Post
        I intend to burn my SQ miles by making a turn-around trip SIN-NRT-SIN. Do I need to apply for the Japan visa and do they allow such turn-around trip??

Thanks.
        You should need a proper visa unless you have the ABTC card. Once I was given a visa on arrival at NRT on my way back to Asia from the US but the nice immigration lady did inform me that the correct way to do so is to apply for a visa at the embassy.

Comment

Thanks for the info.....sigh...so that means I do have to apply for a proper visa

Comment

But when I try to book the tickets online, the system gave me this one: "This flight should depart at least 4 hours after the arrival of the previous flight. Please select another flight."
            You will have to call SQ & someone will help you make the booking. IIRC the last time I made a booking for miles burning run over the phone, they honoured the 15% discount.

Comment

Timatic says that Transit Without Visa is available to those who transit to a third country on the same day. So it's possible that you can't do TWOV when doing a turnaround back to SIN - only if you're doing SIN-NRT-XXX.

In practical terms, there is no difference between doing a turnaround or transit to a third country - in both cases, you wouldn't clear immigrations but instead just follow the signs for Transfers as usual. But there might be problems at check-in in SIN if they're not confident that you won't get them fined by being deported. (Obviously you wouldn't, but they can't be sure so they might err on the side of caution...)

Comment

Thanks once again for the detailed explanation.

I guess I will have to explore other options or apply for a Japan visa.

Comment

You probably has this already, but in case if you haven't, here's the link to apply. I am also doing this next week for our next holiday

http://www.id.emb-japan.go.jp/visa.html

Comment

Since I am residing in HKG, I think I will need to apply in HKG

Comment

Since I am residing in HKG, I think I will need to apply in HKG
                      Just apply the visa at the Japanese consulate in HK.

Have you resided in Hong Kong for 7 years consecutively?? If yes, just my suggestion; why not apply for the HKSAR passport, it'll be more convenient. There is no need to apply for a visa to enter Japan. HK is an efficient city, remembered if you apply for the express type, it just spare you around several working days.

I hold a British National Overseas passport (Another type of passport issued by the UK in Hong Kong), that is also no need to apply for a Japan visa to enter Nippon.

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post
                        Timatic says that Transit Without Visa is available to those who transit to a third country on the same day. So it's possible that you can't do TWOV when doing a turnaround back to SIN - only if you're doing SIN-NRT-XXX.

In practical terms, there is no difference between doing a turnaround or transit to a third country - in both cases, you wouldn't clear immigrations but instead just follow the signs for Transfers as usual. But there might be problems at check-in in SIN if they're not confident that you won't get them fined by being deported. (Obviously you wouldn't, but they can't be sure so they might err on the side of caution...)
                        Not quite right - it isn't a matter of caution but how the rules are worded.

As many have found out official rules do (normally) treat turnarounds differently from transits to a third country. A turnaround is the same as having the country as destination regardless of whether or not you can avoid passing through immigration.

If the visa rules say visa requirement is waived for transit to third country then do not count on being able to board or check in for your flight if you are doing a turnaround. Of course you can find examples where people have successfully flown but you shouldn't count on it being possible.

I, and several people I know, have been denied boarding in such circumstances, including on SQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                          Not quite right - it isn't a matter of caution but how the rules are worded.

As many have found out official rules do (normally) treat turnarounds differently from transits to a third country. A turnaround is the same as having the country as destination regardless of whether or not you can avoid passing through immigration.

If the visa rules say visa requirement is waived for transit to third country then do not count on being able to board or check in for your flight if you are doing a turnaround. Of course you can find examples where people have successfully flown but you shouldn't count on it being possible.

I, and several people I know, have been denied boarding in such circumstances, including on SQ.
                          Kiwi: I think I might have been ambiguous in what I said.

My second paragraph, where I said "erring on the side of caution", was not in relation to the actual reading of the rules, but rather that:

1. The rules do say "transit to a third country" so a turnaround is technically not covered
                          2. In practical terms, however, there is no difference in the passenger's process between a turnaround and a transit - in both cases, you don't go to the passport control so there is no risk of being deported
                          3. However, because the rules do say "transit to a third country", and the passenger is physically able to present himself to the immigration desks instead of going through Transfers, SQ is exposed to the risk of being fined in the case that they let a passenger fly without a visa on a turnaround
                          4. Because of the risk, even though there is no practical difference for the passenger between a turnaround and transit, SQ might not let him board at SIN even though they know that pax can very easily do the turnaround without a visa.

So, "erring on the side of caution" was in relation to the actual risk of deportation and fine to the carrier, rather than in relation to the correct interpretation of the rules.

Comment

No it is not. A turnaround is (almost) the same legally as an entry. It isn't a matter of being cautious but rather applying the rules.

Just because some airlines may allow the rules to be broken doesn't mean other airlines should do the same.

Comment

Hmm. Seems that we're going down deeper in misunderstanding.

My second reply was just explaining what I wrote in the first post, rather than making any new statement. The final sentence where I said "erring on the side of caution was in relation to" - was explaining the usage of the phrase in my first post, rather than putting it forward as a new statement.

Your first reply was, of course, entirely correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X