Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimising the Stress: BKK Taxis

Originally posted by jhm View Post
    Actually, I just noticed (after booking the SGS) that I arrive BKK on Sun 26 Sep at 22:50 and depart the next morning at 10:15! And then I get to my destination, wander around without a hotel for 10 hours and then have to fly again!

In BKK, if I can get to my hotel (what's the best way at that time of night ?), have a pad thai/tom yum, get 4 hours sleep and make my flight, I will be happy!
    I was about to book my TG flights and found that I have the same layover as jhm on the 4th of Sept! I could also choose a later flight from ICN and arrive in BKK at 0110 +1.

kyo+, are you in town on the 4th? You could perhaps take me out to the night markets/eating places?

Otherwise, it is likely that I'd stay put in the Novotel airport hotel. I find it stressful dealing with BKK taxis.

Taxis are better lately. Or maybe im just a master at dealing with them now. Im in bkk tonight for a few days
    My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

phaleesy: I'm not meant to be there anytime soon, actually (I'd cleared my schedule and re-booked into KUL next weekend) - and I know TG flights on 3/5th Sept all the way up to the 24th ex-SIN on the last Fri flight are all booked out. Let me check if I can bring myself to book on SQ instead Sat AM... will get back to you, but no promises just yet. Perhaps if you bribe me somehow...

Comment

How long would the cab ride take at that time of the night? Say 130am thereabouts or 11pm, depending on the flights I book.

How much would the taxis cost approximately?

I just thought it would be easier to hop onto a hotel shuttle and get to rest in the room in a (hopefully) short time, versus cab ride in/out and dealing with taxi drivers. BKK is not one of my fav stopovers and I'm really unhappy that there is a forced overnight layover this time.

Comment

Taxi cab cost to where? Town? Which hotel do you have in mind?

400THB generally will cover everything, including tollways ('tang duan'). If using regular freeways, then you'll save 70THB. Most of the time, I'm staying at the LM, which costs me around 320THB to get there. Depends of course on your taxi driver/route.

If I were you, I wouldn't take the later flight ex-ICN (it means an early start to the day for you in Korea). My SO, flat-out refuses to take a taxi by herself from the airport back home after 10pm... I've done it every single time, but I'm a guy, and haven't had any problems yet - there are a few taxi drivers who are a little dodgy, and no one can guarantee your safety (although I'm sure you know how to take care of yourself). You can also take an overpriced AOT 'limousine'/Camry and pay even more money, of course.

Otherwise, come in at 1am, and book the Novotel. You haven't left yourself many options.

Comment

With a 22:50 arrival and 10:15 departure it would be a total waste of one of the worlds great cities to stay in an airport hotel in Bangkok. And if the SGS is £ 30 GBP cheaper than said airport hotel it's even more of a no brainer.

I agree Bangkok taxis are a pain, that's why I never use them to and from the airport. AOT limos has SUV's for 950 THB each way, and usually 25-50% off the return if you book it at the airport. Yes they are more expensive than a normal taxi but they are a hell of a lot safer, and they have seatbelts in the back!. The 10 GBP difference between a seatbelt-less taxi and lunatic driver against a nice comfy brand new AOT car is the second no brainer. The 30 GBP you'll save at the SGS over the airport hotel will pay the difference anyway.

At that time of day you'll be at the SGS in 35-45 mins, usually the former if he comes off the expressway, down past Phetchaburi station and does a right onto Sukhumvit instead of coming the other way up Sukhumvit and doing a u-turn.

Get into the city and enjoy yourself!.

Comment

Hahahaha I was just waiting for MAN Flyer to weigh in...especially on the taxi.
              HUGE AL

Comment

Thanks, MAN Flyer, I have always used the vouchered taxis from the airport. But have not realised we could book a return too.

If I arrive in BKK at 0110 in the morning and have a 1015am flight the next day, there's really not much to do except sleep!

Please suggest alternative activities for a single girl in BKK and I might reconsider! Are there places where I could take pictures of bright city lights like in Shinjuku and Times Square? I know there would always be eating places but I don't know where to go!

It is very likely that I'd take kyo+'s advice and spend the night at the Novotel. I think I might have quite a bit of sight-seeing on arrival at my next destination. Ms SQfg knows all about that.
                Last edited by phaleesy; 18 August 2010, 10:02 AM.

Comment

I catch normal every day taxi's and I go upstairs to catch them (departures level). I think in 2007/2008 I would get maniac drivers MOST of the time. These days, I think 9 out of 10 have been really quite sedate good drivers. Things have really improved, dont ask me why.

As for why I go upstairs, its not just to save the 50 baht surcharge... but some of the drivers have to wait for hours to get a fare and if they end up with me and my little fare (160 baht) they occassionally complain. I dont blame them really. I have to do the same thing in melbourne because I live so near to the airport, it saves a lot of drama in the end.

Ive been in and out of thailand 3 times in the past month and every little baht counts for me as I dont travel for business and it all comes out of my pocket. There is simply no way I could be travelling this often if i didnt save a little here and there.

BTW, I got an SUV last night, upstairs. 200 baht flat rate to my place (25km from airport).
                  Last edited by sqdazz; 18 August 2010, 11:29 AM. Reason: tidyup
                  My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Like sqdazz, I concur that the AOT service is for pansies (muahaha, MAN Flyer), and I also go upstairs to Departures and actually secretly hope I get a wannabe Lewis Hamilton cowboy driver who knows the limits of his souped-up green/yellow or pink taxi and how to avoid the rest of the traffic...

187THB later on the meter (non-expressway) was the fastest and cheapest ride I ever got to the LM (not including tolls, which cost 70THB more). He was so 'good' I gave him 220THB anyway. I think there's alot of fear-mongering about BKK taxi drivers in general, but it does depend quite a bit on the individual taking the ride, and also the political situation (lots of angst a few months back, for example, within the taxi community, so you have to know when to bargain and more importantly, stop bargaining... or insist on using the meter)!

It's very doable to get a 200THB ride (but it depends on your negotiating skill sometimes).

Paying 950THB each way is an absolute rort in my opinion and I'd absolutely refuse / never do that.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                      seatbelt-less taxi
                      That's the clincher for me. I'd rather pay an extra £10 rather than take the risk. It's the same reason why I won't fly an airline with a dodgy safety record and I'm sure that risk is a lot lower than the risk of having an accident in a taxi.

Comment

That's the clincher for me. I'd rather pay an extra £10 rather than take the risk.
                        They accept Sterling now in thai taxis?

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                          If I arrive in BKK at 0110 in the morning and have a 1015am flight the next day, there's really not much to do except sleep!

Please suggest alternative activities for a single girl in BKK and I might reconsider! Are there places where I could take pictures of bright city lights like in Shinjuku and Times Square? I know there would always be eating places but I don't know where to go!
                          Arriving at that time rather than the earlier stated 22:30 arrival changes things somewhat and limits what you are able to do with your time. Although I would still go into town myself.

That's the clincher for me. I'd rather pay an extra £10 rather than take the risk. It's the same reason why I won't fly an airline with a dodgy safety record and I'm sure that risk is a lot lower than the risk of having an accident in a taxi.
                          Absolutely. For such a small amout the risk is just not worth it. Bangkok taxis are dangersous on the expressways to and from the airport. I don't need a debate to know this I've done the trips more times than I care to remember over the last 15 years, and it's a fact. I was very very lucky once in what was nearly my last trip in a taxi anywhere, and when I looked at the difference - about £ 10 GBP each way - and my annual travel spend I thought 'F*ck that, no more setbelt-less taxis and psycho drivers to and from the airport in Bangkok'. I value my life at more than £ 20 GBP return. It's worth at least double that.

I don't like spending more than is necessary on anything travel related, but this is a total no brainer, and to be honest I still wouldn't use those taxis if the difference was double or treble.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                            ...I concur that the AOT service is for pansies (muahaha, MAN Flyer)...
                            And then there are those of us who utilize the hotel cars to relax after a long flight...and gain some additional points.
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Pansy.

Comment

Working...
                              X