Jogging/Cycling along Changi Coast Road and Tanah Merah Coast Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A view of the area from the air...

I took this after taking off on SQ866 SIN-HKG on 9V-SNB yesterday...

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
      The entire route is on a proper track, well lit and signposted, and mostly shaded by trees (although you would still be exposed to a lot of sun). There are many more cyclists than joggers/runners on this route.

If you are into 10-15km runs, and don't mind stretches where you may be the only person on foot along the track (especially from the 8km mark till the 14km mark), I highly recommend this route!
      Interesting route. I am not a runner but a walker, but when I do walk, I can walk for hours. This applies especially when in Seoul somehow. If measured, per day I averaged on 26km when in Seoul, slightly less in Tokyo and London.

Now to the topic. I wanted to walk this route, but i have intense dislike of traffic light. I hated being stopped when I walk. Does this route have a lot of traffic lights? What is the best time to do the route? The main reason i want to do this route is to see planes in changi airport.

Comment

Originally posted by 726 View Post
        Interesting route. I am not a runner but a walker, but when I do walk, I can walk for hours. This applies especially when in Seoul somehow. If measured, per day I averaged on 26km when in Seoul, slightly less in Tokyo and London.

Now to the topic. I wanted to walk this route, but i have intense dislike of traffic light. I hated being stopped when I walk. Does this route have a lot of traffic lights? What is the best time to do the route? The main reason i want to do this route is to see planes in changi airport.
        Hi 726! There are exactly 3 traffic lights on this route, one at each end of Changi Coast Road, and a crossing at a small side road at Changi Beach Park. So you have 8km with no traffic lights, then another 6km with no breaks. The best time is probably before 10am and after 5pm, when it is not so hot. Those are also good times for plane watching!

Comment

Thanks.... Going to singapore soon for 2 days. Will try this route if time allows. Just wondering, which mrt station is nearest to the western end of the road? I assume the nearest on eastern side is changi mrt, but looking at the map, it is at the centre of the airport and far from the coast road. Correct me if i am wrong.

Comment

Thanks.... Going to singapore soon for 2 days. Will try this route if time allows. Just wondering, which mrt station is nearest to the western end of the road? I assume the nearest on eastern side is changi mrt, but looking at the map, it is at the centre of the airport and far from the coast road. Correct me if i am wrong.
            The interesting thing is that the passenger terminal of Changi Airport is not accessible from Changi Beach Park or the Coastal Road. The easiest way to get to/from Changi Beach Park or Changi Village is by taxi or public bus.

From the East Coast Seafood Centre or Lagoon (i.e. the start point), it is a little more accessible by MRT (Bedok Station), but you still need to take a bus or taxi from Bedok station to East Coast Park. Bus 196,197 from Bedok Interchange (Or bus 31 from the bus stop outside Bedok MRT) will take you to Laguna Park/Lagoon View, or Marine Parade. From there, you can across the ECP using underpasses along the route to get to East Coast Park / Beach.

Or you can start at Changi Beach Park and walk along the coastline all the way to East Coast Park and then Gardens By the Bay, Marina Barrage and Marina Bay.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I think i will start from marina bay as it is the easiest i can find. I do not mind walking, and almost all the time rather walk than taking mrt. Hopefully i will have time, so if not, my chance will be february next year, albeit for only a few hours before boarding sq8.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I think i will start from marina bay as it is the easiest i can find. I do not mind walking, and almost all the time rather walk than taking mrt. Hopefully i will have time, so if not, my chance will be february next year, albeit for only a few hours before boarding sq8.
                Starting from Marina Bay is also great...very scenic, all the way from Gardens by the Bay to Marina Barrage and the whole stretch of East Coast Park. Starting from Marina Bay does add about 10km to the distance though, so do keep that in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                  Starting from Marina Bay is also great...very scenic, all the way from Gardens by the Bay to Marina Barrage and the whole stretch of East Coast Park. Starting from Marina Bay does add about 10km to the distance though, so do keep that in mind.
                  Walking from MBS to Changi Beach walk is a 27 kilometres long walk.... nearly half the length of Singapore.....

[IMG][/IMG]
                  This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                    Walking from MBS to Changi Beach walk is a 27 kilometres long walk.... nearly half the length of Singapore.....

[IMG][/IMG]
                    Yes, about 27km total!

I've never done that whole stretch at one go. I normally start around the East Coast Seafood Centre (Near where the Lagoon/cable ski is). Either I head east towards Changi Beach Park, or I head west towards Marina Bay Sands. From that start point, it is about 12km to MBS, and 15km to Changi Village.

If I am unsure of my endurance that day, I will normally head towards the city and MBS. There are lots of places along the route where you can end your run and catch public transport.

On the other hand, if you head east towards Changi Beach, you are pretty much committed to completing the course, whether you run, walk or crawl to the end!
                    Last edited by yflyer; 20 June 2016, 12:47 PM.

Comment

I am taking your advice, and will do the reverse. That is from east to west. How do i get to Changi village. I am staying in Bugis area. Should i go to pasir ris first?

Still, i am not sure if i have the time to walk this route, but I really want to see those planes taking off and landing at changi.

Comment

I am taking your advice, and will do the reverse. That is from east to west. How do i get to Changi village. I am staying in Bugis area. Should i go to pasir ris first?

Still, i am not sure if i have the time to walk this route, but I really want to see those planes taking off and landing at changi.
                        Hi 726! If plane-spotting is your priority, you can just do the Changi Coast Road stretch i.e. from NSRCC (National Service Resort and Country Club, 10 Changi Coast Walk, Singapore 499739) to Changi Village. If you don't want to walk the route, cycling is a much quicker option.

Either direction is fine, although you would need to catch a taxi to/from NSRCC, so suggest NSRCC as the start point then heading to Changi Village.

On this route, you will pass directly under the flight path of aircraft landing or taking off from 02C/20C, and maybe 02L/20R.

Suggested walking / running route here.

If you are staying around Bugis area, you can take a taxi directly to the entrance of NSRCC. Alternatively you can take the MRT from Bugis to Simei station, then take a taxi from Simei MRT to NSRCC. (Update: There is a bus 35 that runs from Tanah Merah MRT station to the Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal, close to NSRCC, so rather than take a taxi, a bus is also possible.)

Returning from Changi Village, there are taxis and buses that can bring you back to Simei MRT.

Google Maps has very good public transport directions, so you can use that.

Important Note: The route is mostly open, so avoid this route during rain/thunderstorms. It can also get very hot during the day as you are exposed to the sun. No restrooms between NSRCC 0 km start point until the 8km mark, where there is a public restroom and a refreshment kiosk. Lots of F&B at Changi Village at the end point. Also 11.8km is a very long distance to walk if you are not used to it. I think you are an experienced walker, but I don't want to be accused of suggesting something too strenuous.

Hope this info helps!
                        Last edited by yflyer; 21 June 2016, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Tanah Merah it is then. I don't really mind long distance. In fact i am looking to return to NSRCC (that's mouthful). What i hate the most is traffic light or something that stop me from walking. I have a condition called Paroxysmal, of which stopping is bad. Starting to walk again suddenly is bad (especially happens in traffic lights where I do not know the green lights will be on), though 80% of the time i manage that, but since you said the whole route only have three of them, it pose no problem for me.

Me and my family are extreme walkers. In singapore it is normally novena to lavender or botanic garden (not too extreme), in London it is tower bridge to king's cross via picadilly. So no worries. Cycling is out of option.

Thanks for the advice on thunderstorm. I can imagine it will be bad if i walk that route while raining. If i indeed go, i will let you know.

Comment

seems today is rather hot in Singapore, I back out from my plan, but will try this someday (if possible, even tomorrow)

Comment

seems today is rather hot in Singapore, I back out from my plan, but will try this someday (if possible, even tomorrow)
                              Hi 726, good idea to postpone if it is too hot. The open stretch along Changi Coast Road is a killer in the heat!

Comment

Changi Coast Road to be closed in 2017 due to airport works

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...ime=1474858635

A new road to replace Changi Coast Road will open between April and June next year to facilitate works to give the airport a third runway.

The current 6km road will then close, as Changi Airport looks to handle more flights through the development of a new passenger terminal, Terminal 5, and the extra runway, a Land Transport Authority (LTA) spokesman told The Straits Times.

Works to link the third runway to the airport's two existing landing and take-off strips will include building a 40km network of taxiways.

Changi Airport Group has already awarded the first two contracts, worth more than $2.2 billion in total, for the runway works.

The project is expected to be completed by the early 2020s.

Based on air traffic projections, Singapore could handle 700,000 flights a year by the end of the next decade - double its current traffic.

The number does not include flights that fly over Singapore, which also come under the responsibility of air traffic controllers here.

Today, Singapore manages about 300,000 such flights a year.

The new road, which will hug the eastern coastline, will be wider and more scenic.

From a dual two-lane road, there will be three lanes on each side, the LTA spokesman said.

The project also includes the widening of Tanah Merah Coast Road.

Work started in 2014 and, to date, about 75 per cent has been completed, she said.

A new park connector running between Tanah Merah Coast Road and Aviation Park Road will also be constructed along the new Changi Coast Road to replace the existing connector.

Cyclist and retail manager Junaidi Hashim, 34, is looking forward to the new stretch.

"The current road is not ideal any more for cycling because of the many heavy vehicles that move up and down, dropping bits of debris here and there," he said. "I'm definitely looking forward to a more pleasant ride along the coast when the new road opens."

However, the spokesman for LTA added: "Motorists and cyclists who use the road network in the area are reminded to obey all traffic rules and advised to exercise caution, as the area is expected to be heavily used by heavy vehicles for the airport's expansion works."

Works in Changi East are expected to last until the end of the next decade when T5 is slated to open.

By then, Changi Airport will be equipped to handle up to 135 million passengers a year, from 66 million today.

Comment

Working...
                                X