Kuching Weekend Getaway on AirAsia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kuching Weekend Getaway on AirAsia

Before the COVID had a major impact to air travel in Southeast Asia, I made a weekend trip (which would also be my last flying for a looong time) to Kuching, Sarawak. The COVID impact was starting to be felt in late February, with significant reduction in flight frequencies to countries such as China and Korea. However, most Southeast Asian flights were operating as usual then. Terminal 4, where I checked in, was very quiet except at the AirAsia counters.

With CX, VN and many other PRC airlines suspending flights or cutting frequencies, AirAsia remained as the main airline at T4 with flights to regional destinations..

A very quiet departure hall after security.

Visited Blossom Lounge, which is accessible by Priority Pass. It was rather quiet as well in the lounge.

Bites and drinks

My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Selection of savoury and sweet from the buffet.

Departure hall from the lounge. It was eerily quiet. Definitely more staff than passengers.

Headed to the gate where our aircraft had arrived on schedule.

Boarding just commenced as we reached the gate.

29 February 2020
    Air Asia
    AK 1776
    Singapore (SIN) - Kuching (KCH)
    A320
    9M-AQO
    Economy Class
    Flight Time: 1H11M

Prepping for departure.

Boarding

Welcome onboard by crew in masks and gloves. Standard LCC cabin here.

My Travel Map

Comment

Flight was about 60% full, with much of the forward cabin being empty. Most passengers were seated towards the aft.

View out the window.

Standard LCC pitch.

Seat pocket materials. The inflight mag was missing.

Pushed back

Safety demo, with masks and all.

Taxied to the runway.

Departure from Rwy02C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EitoJfQgTZ4

My Travel Map

Comment

Climbing out from Changi.

We pre-ordered a meal each, which was served shortly after departure. First was the Chinese New Year special of Prosperity Tomato Egg and Fish Stew. It tasted simple and homely.

The other selection was the Chef Hong's Korean Bibimbap. A tad spicy but not too bad for an inflight meal. Really loved AirAsia's wide meal selection.

Cruising at a low 29,000ft.

Visit to the lav. Clean and basic.

View of the cabin.

Starting the descent.

My Travel Map

Comment

I'm not trying to start an argument or flame anyone or trying to be PC.

But is it appropriate to post this trip report at a time like this (almost all travel is shut) given that the trip was taken in late Feb, early March. Singapore was already in the midst of handling an outbreak...and...

I know we need a semblance of normalcy...but...

Comment

Originally posted by zilchster View Post
            I'm not trying to start an argument or flame anyone or trying to be PC.

But is it appropriate to post this trip report at a time like this (almost all travel is shut) given that the trip was taken in late Feb, early March. Singapore was already in the midst of handling an outbreak...and...

I know we need a semblance of normalcy...but...
            Actually don't see what the issue is. It doesn't put anyone at risk. That's how I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil0728 View Post
              Actually don't see what the issue is. It doesn't put anyone at risk. That's how I see it.
              And there are still so many vloggers posting flight reviews....

My Travel Map

Comment

As a long reader in this forum, I am on neutral ground. Just my opinion, even during end of Feb ,i personally feel we should not be doing any non urgent travelling. I feel it's our social responsibility to reduce to spread of Covid-19. nevertheless, i enjoy reading your TR.

Comment

To complete this review from back in Feb with all travels being suspended at the moment.....

Approaching into Kuching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da-QmrGJaD4

For some reason, the landing video was accidentally cut off. Landed on Rwy07 and taxied to the gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvEfl6NWfac

Disembarking

A decent short flight on AirAsia with efficient and reliable service.

This is a short weekend trip and as during date of the trip, the Covid-19 situation in Kuching, a well as South-east Asia in general, was still not widespread and people were still going about the daily lives as normal. First stop was a late lunch as a Lau Ya Keng foodcourt at Carpenter Street.

My Travel Map

Comment

Kolo mee, a Kuching must have homely dish, and famous pork satay from the foodcourt.

Seafood dinner at the popular Top Spot Food Centre.

Kuching Waterfront at night.

For this trip, I stayed at Hilton Kuching. Hotel room was nothing memorable, but still decent overall. A messy room next morning and view from the room.

Huge buffet breakfast spread.

Waterfront in the day.

More kolo mee and a secret recipe dessert before flying back.

Last edited by ycp81; 25 May 2020, 11:43 PM.

My Travel Map

Comment

Now on to the flight back to Singapore, which would also be my last flight for a long long time till leisure travel resumes....Checked in at the AirAsia counters and got my boarding pass.

Be warned that if you are flying International from KCH, there are no shopping or eateries after immigration and security, with only drinks vending machines available. Probably makes sense as there are not more than 3 international departures each day. So we are stuck after immigration and security, awaiting the aircraft arrival.

01 March 2020
                      Air Asia
                      AK 1771
                      Kuching (KCH) - Singapore (SIN)
                      A320
                      9M-AQS
                      Economy Class
                      Flight Time: 1H02M

Aircraft arrived on schedule.

Waiting to board

Boarding commenced

Seated at 17A

Boarding in progress. Flight was about 70% full.

My Travel Map

Comment

LCC legroom is the norm.

However, inflight magazines are available on this leg.

Boarding completed and we pushed back with safety demo performed.

Taxied to the runway.

For an on-time departure from the midway of Rwy07.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6yhJS0p0y0

My Travel Map

Comment

Climbing away from the Sarawak shores.

Service commenced with distribution of pre-booked meals.

We had again booked a couple of meals on the flight back. First was the Napoletana Chicken with Egg fried rice. This was a simple dish of chicken in sweet sour tomato-based sauce with fried rice, hard to go wrong with.

The other meal was the Prawn and chicken wonton noodles, which I also added a burnt cheesecake. In local lingo, the wonton noodles tasted legit! Wonton were huge with juicy prawns, and noodles were still springy. Nearly similar, or maybe even better than some, on the ground! The cheesecake was a sinful sweet ending as well.

Before long, we were descending into Singapore.

My Travel Map

Comment

Landing on Rwy02L ahead of schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgkaBldy-7k

When SQ's A380s were still actively flying.

Doubt we will be able to fly on SQ's B772 ever again.

Spotted AK's 1st A320neo.

Parked at Terminal 4.

Disembarked.

As can be seen on the arrival FIDS, the number of flights from T4 has already greatly reduced then, with only AirAsia group flight mainly still operating. Of course, with the ongoing travel restrictions in place, T4 has suspended operations now.

Another short and pleasant flight on AirAsia, with delicious inflight meals and efficient service.

Since this trip, I had already cancelled 3 other trips, and maybe more with the existing travel restrictions in place. I guess it will be months before most of the flights resume and we can get into the skies again. Till then, stay safe and stay healthy everyone!

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                              Landing on Rwy02L ahead of schedule.

Another short and pleasant flight on AirAsia, with delicious inflight meals and efficient service.

Since this trip, I had already cancelled 3 other trips, and maybe more with the existing travel restrictions in place. I guess it will be months before most of the flights resume and we can get into the skies again. Till then, stay safe and stay healthy everyone!
                              You might still be able to make it to Ipoh though in July, though I won't be too optimistic about it. NZ might be a long shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X