No announcement yet.

Lufthansa A380 Premium Economy to Frankfurt and Munich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The IFE controller is fixed in the armrest, although you don’t really need it as the IFE is a touchcreen.

USB power is available under the armrest. There is no A/C power in Y (You need to be in PEY for that).

Headphones are the two-pin overhead variety, which look like the kind SQ used to give out.

Each passenger has a pillow with soft white fabric covers, as well as a blanket.

IFE is a smallish high resolution widescreen. This was noticeably smaller than SQ’s Y screens, but resolution and contrast were good, and the overall viewing experience was ok.

Last edited by yflyer; 19 July 2020, 10:53 PM.

Comment

We departed on schedule, and service began promptly with a full drink service.

I ordered a gin & tonic, which was served with a slice of lemon.

The view when the pax in front reclines. About par for the course as far as Y is concerned.

I chose beef goulash for dinner. The starter was a very small portion of green salad with a separate one-serve tub of salad dressing, and the dessert was also fairly tiny compared to PEY dessert (or compared to SQ dessert for that matter).

No menus were handed out either. I believe the other choice of main was an Asian style selection but I can’t remember exactly what it was.

The beef goulash was tasty. Although the starter and dessert portions were noticeably smaller than PEY, I thought the main course was quite satisfying. It was also nice to be able to enjoy the meal using metal cutlery.

I did appreciate the large milk chocolate coin with the Lufthansa logo embossed on it, though.

After dinner, the cabin crew came round to offer passengers Bailey’s Irish Cream or Chantre Brandy as an after dinner drink. I thought this was a nice touch.

Last edited by yflyer; 19 July 2020, 10:53 PM.

Comment

I slept quite soundly after that and only woke up about 2 hours prior to landing, as we flew over the Andaman Sea, towards the coast of Thailand.

By then, it was daylight outside the cabin, and some folks had already begun to open their windows to let in the bright sunshine.

While the flight was fairly full, I was fortunate, in the rear of the main deck, to have an empty seat next to mine, with only the window seat occupied.

Here are some shots of the A380 Y cabin ambience. A very spacious and open cabin, despite the 3-4-3 configuration.

What I have always liked about the A380 is that there are many spaces onboard, such as close to the emergency exits, where you can get up to stretch your legs, take a stroll, and chat with fellow passengers.

Last edited by yflyer; 19 July 2020, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Breakfast was served about 1 hr 30 min to 1 hr 45 min before landing.

This was a hot breakfast, served in a metal casserole, together with a “mini” tray of bread and yogurt.

Coffee was served in paper cups along with your choice of juice.

Breakfast was a cheese and egg omelette with sauteed chicken and potato wedges.

Although there was no choice of breakfast main course available, this was one of the most delicious egg omelettes I have eaten on a plane. Very creamy and still quite hot. An exceptionally good dish.

Another view of the Y cabin. Notice the magazine racks within the overhead bins. An unusual spot to put magazine racks – taking up valuable space in the bins. But pax on this flight seemed to bring on quite reasonably sized carry-ons so there was ample space to stow everyone’s luggage.

Comment

26 minutes to arrival…

As mentioned previously, a lot of very snazzy views and CGI from the flight info system, but not a lot of useful information on the display most of the time…

A view of the cabin, from the rear all the way to the front, all prepared for landing…

Comment

My overall impressions?

While Lufthansa’s A380 Y may not have all the bells and whistles of SQ’s Y, it is a strong Y offering that ticks all the boxes where it counts: A good Y seat and hard product. Decent meals and IFE. Friendly, professional service. A value-for-money inflight wifi offering.

The only real gripe I would have is the lack of A/C power in Y, and even that isn’t really a showstopper, given the long battery life that most IT devices have these days.

In all, a very good A380 Y product.

And a fairly painless transit experience in FRA as well, at least on this occasion.

We touched down at Changi on a very hazy September 11, for an on-time arrival just after 4pm local time. Ample time to clear airport formalities and head to the polling station to vote in Singapore’s general election!

Thanks for reading!
              Last edited by yflyer; 19 July 2020, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Nice report. Hope you don't mind - I shared it with a girlfriend of mine in LH SIN who's been working really hard on the Y+ project for the Singapore market.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                  Nice report. Hope you don't mind - I shared it with a girlfriend of mine in LH SIN who's been working really hard on the Y+ project for the Singapore market.
                  Sure, SQflyergirl!

Comment

Thanks for the TR, yflyer. Great TR as always. LH Y looks good! Might try it next year when I exhaust all my KF miles.

There are two things I must eat when I'm in MUC - the schweinshaxe minus the cabbage and the hackbraten.

Comment

Looks like you had a fellow trip reporter on your flight.

http://flight-report.com/en/report-11521.html

Comment

Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
                        Looks like you had a fellow trip reporter on your flight.

http://flight-report.com/en/report-11521.html
                        Thanks for sharing the link, icn.sg! Two TR's on the same flight, in the same cabin, what are the odds of that!

Not only was this the same flight, I am actually in the TR ! The hunter has become the hunted...

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                          Thanks for the TR, yflyer. Great TR as always. LH Y looks good! Might try it next year when I exhaust all my KF miles.

There are two things I must eat when I'm in MUC - the schweinshaxe minus the cabbage and the hackbraten.
                          Thanks, CarbonMan!

I'm a big fan of schweinshaxe too (a.k.a. ter kah ), although it is too large dish for me to order unless I am with a group of people...

I've not tried hackbraten but will keep a lookout for it next time I am in Germany...
                          Last edited by yflyer; 21 September 2015, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                            Thanks for sharing the link, icn.sg! Two TR's on the same flight, in the same cabin, what are the odds of that!

Not only was this the same flight, I am actually in the TR ! The hunter has become the hunted...
                            Indeed. It didn't click when I read your report until I noticed passengers wearing the same shirts in both reports! I think one of his pic in his report revealed a little too much about you

Comment

Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
                              Indeed. It didn't click when I read your report until I noticed passengers wearing the same shirts in both reports! I think one of his pic in his report revealed a little too much about you
                              Way too observant, icn.sg!

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                                Way too observant, icn.sg!
                                Occupational hazard

Comment

Working...
                                X