No announcement yet.

LHR-BOS-ORD-SAN-LHR on BA and AA: Snow, Lobsters and Aircraft Carriers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was in Boston for 4 days. The Marriott Long Wharf was excellent, but rather than stay at a single hotel, I switched hotels midway during my stay just for a change of scenery and locale. I checked out of the Marriott and moved to the Hilton Back Bay.

The Hilton is located in a busy area, opposite the Sheraton Boston (Marked 11 on the map below), and right next to Prudential Center, with a mall and lots of shopping and F&B outlets close by, and a large supermarket as well.

The rooms in the Hilton were very comfortable. The design of the rooms would not win any awards, but looked to be very recently refurbished.

This was a very pleasant part of the city to stay in. Lively, with many eating options within walking distance.

Last edited by yflyer; 15 February 2016, 02:33 PM.

Comment

One nearby restaurant was The Atlantic Fish Company.

If I found Legal to be a sprawling enterprise that was a little too “corporate” for my taste, the Atlantic Fish Company seemed to be the opposite…an intimate restaurant which seemed to take extra care to deliver memorable meals and experiences.

I first headed there for lunch. The menu had a fairly wide range of choices on offer, with a strong focus on seafood and local specialities.

I began with a cup of clam chowder…

…this was a creamy, yet light and refined affair…the nicest I had eaten in Boston so far…

My “main” at lunch time was the Lobster Crab Louie…

This was a delightful layering of avocado, crab and lobster chunks, served with tomato and endives…the lobster and crab tasted really fresh. A wonderful dish.

I enjoyed lunch so much that I headed back there again for dinner.

This time, I began with a Ketel One vodka martini, which came perfectly mixed.

My main course was the Lobster Fra Diavolo, or Linguini with lobster in a spicy arrabiata sauce…

This was outstanding…the pasta sauce had superb flavour, and the generous chunks of lobster tasted ultra-fresh and flavourful. A very memorable dish.

If I returned to Boston and could only have one meal, I would eat at the Atlantic Fish Company. It is one of those restaurants that I would want to return to over and over to try the different items on the menu. Highly recommended!
      Last edited by yflyer; 21 July 2020, 12:27 PM.

Comment

The next day, I checked out of the Hilton early in the morning and headed to BOS for my flight to Chicago for a brief one night stay, before heading to San Diego.

To be continued!

Comment

Superb trip report with fantastic photos.As if i am there on the same trip .Well done and thank you for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by dengilo View Post
            Superb trip report with fantastic photos.As if i am there on the same trip .Well done and thank you for sharing.
            Thanks, dengilo!
            Last edited by yflyer; 15 February 2016, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Just had a chance to digest your report - fantastic stuff as usual !

Comment

Planes...lounge...food...hotel reviews all in 1 TR, just how I like them.

What's the deal with having all window shades drawn shut when the aircraft is on the grown? I've never come across this on other airlines before. Doesn't it take more effort for the crew to shut them than to leave the shades up?

You seem to be a regular concert goer. This is probably way off topic, but how would rate the acoustics in the Boston Symphonic Hall vs our Esplanade Concert? Hall?

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                  Just had a chance to digest your report - fantastic stuff as usual !
                  Thanks, SQflyergirl!

Yes, "digest" is probably the right word to use!

Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
                  Planes...lounge...food...hotel reviews all in 1 TR, just how I like them.
                  Thanks, icn.sg! And that's how I like to write them!

What's the deal with having all window shades drawn shut when the aircraft is on the grown? I've never come across this on other airlines before. Doesn't it take more effort for the crew to shut them than to leave the shades up?
                  I heard some airlines ask passengers to shut the window shades before deplaning, to keep the planes cooler in summer. No idea if the reverse applies in winter. But it was really disconcerting taking off with all the shades closed. I am too used to SQ where everything has to be open for take-off and landing.

You seem to be a regular concert goer. This is probably way off topic, but how would rate the acoustics in the Boston Symphonic Hall vs our Esplanade Concert? Hall?
                  Yes, I go to the Esplanade Concert Hall quite frequently! The acoustics we have there are world class -- among the best in the world for any kind of acoustic music, especially classical. We are spoilt here in Singapore -- the SSO gets to play in a wonderful hall, and visiting orchestras get to sound their best too.

The Boston Symphony Hall is a historical building with the traditional rectangular "shoe box" design that also has superb acoustics. I was sitting in one of the cheap seats at the rear of the hall, so I didn't hear the hall at its best, but it was still a very rich, resonant and well rounded sound. Even from so far back, the soloist's cello tone came through very clearly and beautifully.
                  Last edited by SQflyergirl; 15 February 2016, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                    I caught a taxi from the airport for the short drive into downtown Boston...
                    You didn't use Über?!?

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                    ...as HUGE AL pointed out, a very interesting list of cocktails…
                    Actually, it was their ridiculously low priced wine list that I mentioned.
                    HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                      You didn't use Über?!?
                      I used Uber a lot on this trip. It was my primary means of getting around. One of the few rides I did not use Uber for was the ride from Boston Airport to my hotel, mainly because the taxi rank was right outside the terminal door, and because BOS isn't too far from downtown.

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                      Actually, it was their ridiculously low priced wine list that I mentioned.
                      Now that you mentioned it, I did have a very satisfying glass of Melville Chardonnay from Santa Barbara, CA, together with my monkfish at Legal Crossing!

Comment

Lobster looks good.

And fried chicken in a lounge!

Enjoying the food and everything else so far - thanks, yflyer!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                          Lobster looks good.

And fried chicken in a lounge!

Enjoying the food and everything else so far - thanks, yflyer!
                          Thanks, jhm!

Yes, the lobster was great!

The fried chicken may have been the only outstanding feature of the Marriott Long Wharf Lounge...wine and liquor in the lounge was charged to your room bill. Wonder if this practice is common among US Marriott properties.

Comment

Great food pics, yflyer!! I can almost taste them.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                              Great food pics, yflyer!! I can almost taste them.
                              Thanks, CarbonMan! I think there is a business opportunity for some tech entrepreneur to come up with a "click to order" button next to pictures of food posted on the internet...one click and someone delivers that dish (Or a local equivalent...) to your address in an hour...

Comment

The next morning, I flew AA from Boston to Chicago.

It was an early morning 9am departure. The priority check-in area was fairly quiet when I arrived at 7.45am for my flight, AA1435, BOS-ORD, a 3 hour sector operated by a 738.

I spent a few minutes in the AA Admirals Club before heading to the gate.

Rocking chairs in the terminal…

Last edited by yflyer; 21 July 2020, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X