No announcement yet.

Minimising the Stress: BKK Taxis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you were just lucky previously. There is a big sign in the immigration area stating that if you are in transit and pass through immigration then you have to pay the airport tax.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
      I think you were just lucky previously. There is a big sign in the immigration area stating that if you are in transit and pass through immigration then you have to pay the airport tax.
      I see! I'm very fortunate then that with the check-in girl I said it was worth it for a night in Bangkok rather than (wrongly) argue the toss!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
        I think I got T.I.T.ted again today!

BD award TG xxx-BKK-xxx. Arrived yesterday afternoon in BKK and departed this morning. I was told by TG J check-in that I had to pay the THB 700 airport fee because although it was < 24 hours, I left the transit area ?!? This has never happened to me in similar circumstances before, e.g. a few months ago!
        Yes. It happens all the time !

Yes its true. Once you leave the transit area, and recheck in, even within 24 hours, you need to pay the departure tax.

What I hate is going to the ticket counter to do it when they check in agent insisted that she/he can't handle money.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
          What I hate is going to the ticket counter to do it when they check in agent insisted that she/he can't handle money.
          In my case, she did take the cash and gave it to someone else to go and get a receipt. I just had to wait at check-in for about 5 minutes for that to happen.

Comment

Hey guys,

Just arrived in Bangkok and tried the Airport train to city. Cost is 45 baht and 7 stops later, arriving at Phaya Thai in around 30 mins for transfer by BTS (exit Phaya Thai station and go down one level and walk across to BTS Phaya Thai station. Locals are getting used to this and you can expect more people to get on board at every stop, but getting a seat at the Airport station is relatively easy.

I will definitely take this whenever I come to Bangkok next, beats sitting in a dirty taxi amid traffic jams.

Thing to note, there are elevators for airport train stations, but not for BTS.

Comment

Will be turning on the afterburners and taking the fast one tonight specifically to test just how fast a late-Fri night transfer from airside to doorstep of the 4P Sukhumvit can get. Wish me luck, with good timing, this could end up being my preferred method of transportation depending on the time I reach the train station downstairs!

I wonder if I can clock 45 minutes door-to-door...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                Will be turning on the afterburners and taking the fast one tonight specifically to test just how fast a late-Fri night transfer from airside to doorstep of the 4P Sukhumvit can get. Wish me luck, with good timing, this could end up being my preferred method of transportation depending on the time I reach the train station downstairs!

I wonder if I can clock 45 minutes door-to-door...
                Apparently the city line (normal) train comes every 15 mins and the express train comes every 30 mins, price difference is 45 baht vs 150 baht. BUT......if you are going to transfer via BTS at Phaya Thai, you have to change train at Makkasan as the express train is doing a to/fro Airport and Makkasan only.

Comment

Fully aware of that... that's why I hope I can time this precisely to see just how fast it can be dashing from point to point. Could come in useful one day! I have my final Fastrack ready to go at immigration for tonight if queues are long.

Comment

Originally posted by cmy View Post
                    Hey guys,

Just arrived in Bangkok and tried the Airport train to city. Cost is 45 baht and 7 stops later, arriving at Phaya Thai in around 30 mins for transfer by BTS (exit Phaya Thai station and go down one level and walk across to BTS Phaya Thai station. Locals are getting used to this and you can expect more people to get on board at every stop, but getting a seat at the Airport station is relatively easy.

I will definitely take this whenever I come to Bangkok next, beats sitting in a dirty taxi amid traffic jams.

Thing to note, there are elevators for airport train stations, but not for BTS.
                    I just don't see the point if you have to walk anywhere in the Bangkok heat, especially with luggage.

I'll stick to my current arrangement. It maybe more expensive but it's just as quick (actually quicker, to where I go..) and much less sweaty.

Comment

Originally posted by cmy View Post
                      exit Phaya Thai station and go down one level and walk across to BTS Phaya Thai station
                      Somebody I met told me that this walk involves going down an alley of some sort ?!? He didn't mean that it was unsafe but merely that it's not exactly a stroll along an elevated walkway or similar!

Comment

Will be a taxi for me, getting the train to nearest station to my apartment still involves a 1.5km taxi ride anyway. easier to just cab it. If taxi's were USD30 in Bangkok then I could see the point of it, but when it costs USD7-10 for a cab, shared between a couple of people.... it is hardly worthwhile.

I do however understand that some people don't want to use BKK taxi's for various reasons. For those people then go right ahead
                        My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                          Somebody I met told me that this walk involves going down an alley of some sort ?!? He didn't mean that it was unsafe but merely that it's not exactly a stroll along an elevated walkway or similar!
                          No, not any alley, simply walking across a short bridging tarmac-like pavement to BTS Phaya Thai station.

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                          I just don't see the point if you have to walk anywhere in the Bangkok heat, especially with luggage.

I'll stick to my current arrangement. It maybe more expensive but it's just as quick (actually quicker, to where I go..) and much less sweaty.
                          Yes, if I have heavy luggage, I might just take a cab too However, no much sweat involved for taking the airport train as it's directly linked to the airport via underground, fully-airconditioned. It's only when you exit the destination station of the airport link then you will be exposed to the heat.

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                          Will be a taxi for me, getting the train to nearest station to my apartment still involves a 1.5km taxi ride anyway. easier to just cab it. If taxi's were USD30 in Bangkok then I could see the point of it, but when it costs USD7-10 for a cab, shared between a couple of people.... it is hardly worthwhile.

I do however understand that some people don't want to use BKK taxi's for various reasons. For those people then go right ahead
                          Yes, I agree. It all depends on where you want to go. If I were to stay somewhere near Asia Hotel or Siam Paragon, it's quite convenient taking the train when it's just 1 or 2 BTS stations away from Phaya Thai.

Comment

Maybe this MIGHT change your mind on a BKK taxi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYZHjKlk7Go

Comment

Hahahah 9V-JKL

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                                Maybe this MIGHT change your mind on a BKK taxi:

Comment

Working...
                                X