Maldivian Air Taxi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maldivian Air Taxi

any SQtalkers used this service before in the Maldives? was just wondering if they'll accept 50kg worth of luggage? haha. and if so what are the excess baggage charges?

many thanks!

You basically have no choice if you want to fly in the Maldives. They are fun and great views from the planes. Can be very hot though and loud (but they give you earplugs).
    We had normal luggage - 20 or so kgs each - and no problems. If you are way over though, I'm not sure if they charge more. Maybe check with whatever hotel you will be at and let them do the research?
    You can get to most hotels by boat also but obviously it takes way longer. Where are you staying?

Comment

Originally posted by Snaffled View Post
      You basically have no choice if you want to fly in the Maldives. They are fun and great views from the planes. Can be very hot though and loud (but they give you earplugs).
      We had normal luggage - 20 or so kgs each - and no problems. If you are way over though, I'm not sure if they charge more. Maybe check with whatever hotel you will be at and let them do the research?
      You can get to most hotels by boat also but obviously it takes way longer. Where are you staying?
      You can only take a boat if you're staying at resorts in either North or South Male atolls. If you're staying in any of the further flung atolls, like Ari Atoll, forget about taking a boat. The only way to get there is by seaplane. Totally agree about the noise but the views of the atolls and islands from the air is breathtaking.

Comment

Originally posted by planemad View Post
        You can only take a boat if you're staying at resorts in either North or South Male atolls. If you're staying in any of the further flung atolls, like Ari Atoll, forget about taking a boat. The only way to get there is by seaplane. Totally agree about the noise but the views of the atolls and islands from the air is breathtaking.
        I've taken a boat to other atolls, including Ari Atoll. It certainly takes longer but its available no problems!

Comment

Originally posted by Snaffled View Post
          I've taken a boat to other atolls, including Ari Atoll. It certainly takes longer but its available no problems!
          I didn't know that, but thanks for the tip Snaffled. It must be a long long ride to Ari Atoll! I don't think many people would do it though.

Comment

No worries - you are right .. v. long. I think 3 hours or so from memory. Sunscreen and a cushion to sit on are musts... I had bruises for a while afterwards!

Comment

I have used Maldivian Air Taxi on two returns. They do weigh your luggage AND carry on. The first time, they were very strict on the weight. 20kg, no more (I forget, they may have a 5kg allowance for carry on) But the second time, I know I came to 30kg/pax and they let us go without surcharge.
              If you do not need all of your luggage at the resort where you are flying to, they will offer to keep the excess luggage for you at the seaport. Very good service and fun.

Comment

ah. staying at the angsana velavaru.

the excess baggage is all equipment, so thats 50kg altogether. charges are definitely payable so just wanted to try to work out the budget that has to be set aside for the seaplane leg.

thanks though!

Comment

Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
                  ah. staying at the angsana velavaru.

the excess baggage is all equipment, so thats 50kg altogether.
                  You're not setting up a jazz band at the Angsana, are you?

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                    haha no not at all. an alto only weighs 4kg a friend is filming a documentary and has a videocam, lighting, sound cables etc.

Comment

I wasn't referring to a solo alto sax! I meant the whole band - double bass, clarinet, trumpet, trombone, jazz set, sound equipment and all.

Comment

Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
                        any SQtalkers used this service before in the Maldives? was just wondering if they'll accept 50kg worth of luggage? haha. and if so what are the excess baggage charges?
                        I've used them many times. The answer is: it depends... sometimes they are quite picky and charge for any extra kg. And they also weigh your hand luggage!!! (and charge for that weight).

A trick that worked a while ago, when you are traveling with somebody else: have that person looking at your hand luggage (as far away from the checkin area as possible), while you take care of the check-in (maybe with on light piece of hand luggage...).

Comment

Originally posted by mmm View Post
                          I've used them many times. The answer is: it depends... sometimes they are quite picky and charge for any extra kg. And they also weigh your hand luggage!!! (and charge for that weight).

A trick that worked a while ago, when you are traveling with somebody else: have that person looking at your hand luggage (as far away from the checkin area as possible), while you take care of the check-in (maybe with on light piece of hand luggage...).
                          hmm, do you remember how much you were charged for the excess baggage per kg? there's no way this piece of equipment we're talking about can escape the eyes of crew.

Comment

I wasn't referring to a solo alto sax! I meant the whole band - double bass, clarinet, trumpet, trombone, jazz set, sound equipment and all.
                            Reminds me of a busker I used to see in Melbourne - he used to stand pretty close to the corner of Swanston and Flinders near where the Hungry Jacks/Burger king is.

He was a one man band with a set of strings that operated all the other instruments. Awful music, but I appreciated him trying.

Comment

Working...
                            X