No announcement yet.

LHR T5: After the Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm now going to get my first T5 expereince next week. I thought it was going to be delayed until the autumn as my TLV flights in May and June are still T4. But now I have to take a short hop over to MUC on Monday (luckily no checked luggage).

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
      You not kidding?
      You need medical certificates for 8mm long insuline-needles (you couldn't kill someone with these things even if you stabbed him again and again for several houers)
      Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
        You not kidding?
        Nope. I felt for the guy. (He refused to do it, placing it on the tray when the goon was distracted, and was last seen accompanying another goon to who-knows-where.)

Second experience at LHR T5 this morning, and this time I had a chance to go to the Galleries Club (South) and also experience what it's like to have a flight leave from one of the B Gates.

The Galleries Club was very nice, with a very impressive selection of food at breakfast. But it was a long, involved walk to get there -- is this the architect's way to discourage lounge usage? -- and the signs can be improved. I went all the way to the First desk, and had to be informed to turn around and take the escalators another level up. The agent was clearly used to seeing first-time users overshoot their turning point, as she had a friendly, well-rehearsed line to direct me (without the tone that accompanies the implicit admonition 'oh you clueless twit' ). What's so hard about placing a sign a bit before that desk saying something like, "Galleries Club, please proceed one level up" coupled with an arrow (inverted U) to indicate you should turn around to find the escalators?

Leaving from the B Gates meant walking for a very long time; taking the train; and going up and down and then up again (not counting the up and down trips to and from the lounge). It didn't help that the escalators must be the slowest-moving ones in the world. During that trudge, I think I burned off the bacon mini-buttie I ate in the lounge. Hurrah for little victories.

Next time I'll need to leave the lounge about 40-45 minutes before departure. CE to BRU was packed, and there was almost no space for my rollaboard in the overhead locker.
        Last edited by jjpb3; 29 April 2008, 01:42 PM. Reason: more blah blah
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
          The Galleries Club was very nice, with a very impressive selection of food at breakfast. But it was a long, involved walk to get there -- is this the architect's way to discourage lounge usage?
          No, it's presumably BAA's way to ensure everyone (except F pax) does a tour of the shops before getting to the lounge!

phaleesy and I will get to visit the CCR this Thursday before our flight to NRT. We will try to take and post up some photos.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            No, it's presumably BAA's way to ensure everyone (except F pax) does a tour of the shops before getting to the lounge!
            The shops did look inviting ... and (I'm sure to the companies) eeriely empty. My wallet has been saved by the fact that both times I've used T5, I was in a rush.
            Originally posted by jhm View Post
            phaleesy and I will get to visit the CCR this Thursday before our flight to NRT. We will try to take and post up some photos.
            Looking forward to the pics and the impressions.

Comment

I arrived at T4 yesterday and took the HEX into London. I have to say it is anything but an express service now from T4. Ok I was a bit unlucky and just missed a train so had to wait 15 minutes for the train at T4. But now you have to change at the T1,2,3 station and I had to wait another 11 minutes there for the train to Paddington. All told it took over 40 minutes from T4 to London.

Comment

I had my first experience of T5 yesterday and was totally underwelmed. The check in area was nice and thanks to either JHM or jjpb3 who mentioned that the South end is a lot less crowded than the north I had no que what so ever. But it does seem to be rather bad design when half of the terminal had huge queues and one half none at all. The new self returning hand luggage scanners seem to be a case of a bright idea very badly implemented. Through in the departure area I thought it seemed very cramped yet again far too many shops and not enough space. Plus very crowded and so far the majority of long haul flights have not moved there.
                The BA F lounge was good though however they were still serving breakfast at noon.

Comment

Looks like BA and BAA gota bit of a roasting today by MPs

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7388296.stm

Comment

To follow-up:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7329817.stm

Spokeswoman Annabel Fox said: [...]

"Once on the plane she was told one bag could not be found and was missing.

"BA decided to resolve this by insisting she leave the flight and then called the police to forcibly eject her from the flight.
                    And now:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7465195.stm

The court was told Ms Campbell became upset and demanded to know where her bag was.

Ms Campbell swore at the captain and said she wanted him to get off the plane and get her bag.

As the captain walked away, Ms Campbell said: "You are a racist, you wouldn't be doing this if I was white."

The court heard BA staff asked Ms Campbell to leave the plane but she continued to shout and swear and talk into her mobile phone, so the police were called.

The prosecution said Ms Campbell kicked one of the officers in the thigh.

She kicked another officer in the shin, wedged herself in her seat and spat at the officers, the court was told.

Comment

Such a lovely lady! Unfortunately there's nothing in there about a lifetime ban from BA

Her lawyer Simon Nicholls said: "All my client wanted [was] to be dealt with as though she was anybody else." Hmmm, yeah right! I can certainly understand her frustration at having a piece of luggage go missing, but it seems that her actions point towards the fact that she felt she ought to receive special treatment.

Comment

Whiling away my time in the Galleries Club Lounge in T5 before my flight to MUC. After the disappointment that was the KrisFlyer Gold Lounge in SIN T3 , this is so much more civilized.

Bravo, BA.

Comment

P.S. I guess a civilized lounge experience is the least BA can provide. My flight is delayed by one and a half hours (of course, the flight departures screen and the service desk have differing expected departure times ). It's going to be just peachy getting into my hotel near midnight.

I knew there was a reason I had been willing to brave the dismal facilities of LHR T2.

Comment

What is the earliest time that I can check in for a flight(SQ 321) that departs at 10pm?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
                              What is the earliest time that I can check in for a flight(SQ 321) that departs at 10pm?
                              Usually it's about 4 or 3 hours prior to departure. But you can do on-line check-in right?
                              I wonder why you posted the question in this thread (re: T5). SQ departs from T3, I believe ...

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
                                4 hours before departure time at LHR, but as SQ LPP asked :
                                Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                                I wonder why you posted the question in this thread (re: T5). SQ departs from T3, I believe ...

Comment

Working...
                                X