My SQ Experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My SQ Experiences

Having just returned from a trip MEL-SIN-AMS-SIN-MEL I thought I would just write up some of my impressions.

I have flown this route twice the last year - once with SQ the other time with MH (via KUL obviously).

My impressions:

The 744 used between MEL and SIN in Y is tight. Being 6'5" meant that my knees were in the back of the seat constantly. MH's seat pitch was better in this case.

I liked the fact that SQ does the hot towel service twice in the flight with real towels. MH only used paper towels although I now understand this service has been discontinued.

There were also two full drink services on the flight to SIN before dinner - as opposed to the tray of juice/water/beer offered by MH. Although a tray service was used on the red eye flights - appreciated as they speed up the first drink service allowing more time for sleep.

Not being an alcohol drinker I did appreciate MH's juice selection during the between meals drink service (being a choice of orange/guava/water on MH as opposed to orange/water or water only on SQ).

The use of real menus gives the flight a bit more class - I found that the flashing of the menu on the PTV on MH was a bit annoying especially when you miss it.

The meals were of good quality and appeared to be more generous than on MH. I also enjoyed the snack service on the SIN-AMS-SIN legs where you had a choice of full sized snacks instead of the prepacked snack boxes on MH. I also enjoyed the fact that there were 3 meal choices instead of 2 (especially when my first choice had just run out two passengers ahead of me).

Inflight entertainment was great - I actually did not run out of entertainment options on the flight.

Seat pitch on the 772ER flight between SIN-AMS-SIN was similar to MH's pitch. Oddly enough the 773 (ie not the 77W) flight between SIN and MEL had even more knee space than the 772ER flight.

All up I was most impressed with SQ. Having been a loyal MH customer for the past few years on my trips to AMS I think I will switch over to SQ. It's a pity that MH's cost cutting means that a lot of the small additional items (like towels, menus, full drink service etc) have been removed - however it are the small things that make long haul travel a bit more comfortable and therefore memorable.

The only down side was the seat pitch on SQ's 744's. I'm glad that these are being phased out on the MEL route in preference of the 380. The 744 from MEL was continuing on to FRA and JFK - I'd hate to have to sit on those seats for so long.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to many more flights on SQ in the future.

Ignore the spin.

Of all the 777s in SQs fleet, the 777-200ERs have the most comfortable seats in Y IMHO.

Comment

That was my thought too however from my recent experience I was pleasantly suprised that the 773 had more knee room that the 772ER. Maybe it was just my row but I was a happy camper - and knee room is at the top of my list when it comes to choosing who to fly with.

Comment

Originally posted by rem777 View Post
        That was my thought too however from my recent experience I was pleasantly suprised that the 773 had more knee room that the 772ER. Maybe it was just my row but I was a happy camper - and knee room is at the top of my list when it comes to choosing who to fly with.
        That will be some consolation to those flying Y on 73A, where only F/J have new seats installed

Comment

Thanks for your report. Are SQ and MH charging the same fare?

Comment

At the time I booked my flights MH were about AUD100 cheaper. However I'm glad I went with SQ.

Comment

Working...
            X