History of SIN-NY flights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of SIN-NY flights

I once sat next to an American lady living in Singapore 20 years with a business in NY. We were in EE on SIN-EWR flight.

She mentioned she had seen the journey times drop from 30+ hours SIN-LAX-NY to 22+ hours SIN-FRA/AMS-JFK to 18 hours non stop.

Anyone able to shed some light on year started, flight numbers, a/c used? 743? DC10? Was Honolulu a refuelling stop?

Thanks.

I am quite certain that SQ never flew SIN-LAX-NYC. It has always been trans-Atlantic.

The SQ JFK service only started in the late-80s or early-90s IIRC, and only after they were forced to drop YYZ as their first trans-Atlantic routing, following a dispute with AC.

Comment

Before its discontinuation, which coincided with the launch of the SIN-EWR nonstop, the AMS flight arrived and departed from EWR. The Megatop parked on the tarmac there all afternoon like a bird with his leg tethered to his perch in full view of the B Terminal.

Comment

History of SIN-NY flights

Time to NY >30 hours via West Coast, with connection to domestic airline
        Evolution of SQ services in West Coast
        1977: started flying to Guam, Honolulu and SFO. DC10s? 742s?
        1980s: further expansion in USA. By the end 1980, daily SIN-Tokyo(was NRT operational then?)-LAX. 743?

Time to NY approx 22 hours via Europe
        SIN-FRA-JFK
        SIN-AMS-EWR or JFK?
        Can't find any info on start dates. Were they always on 744? If started with 743, was there another stop for fuel in Middle East?

Time to NY 18 hours.
        28 June 2004 SIN-EWR non stop by A345

Big gap in my SQ knowledge here cause I was commuting between UK and SIN in the 70s and 80s (starting with 4 stops to get from SIN-LHR in 707s!). Not really paying attention to their US expansion

Anyone care to fill in the gaps?

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
          Time to NY >30 hours via West Coast, with connection to domestic airline
          1980s: further expansion in USA. By the end 1980, daily SIN-Tokyo(was NRT operational then?)-LAX. 743?

SIN-FRA-JFK
          SIN-AMS-EWR or JFK?
          Can't find any info on start dates. Were they always on 744? If started with 743, was there another stop for fuel in Middle East?

Time to NY 18 hours.
          28 June 2004 SIN-EWR non stop by A345

Big gap in my SQ knowledge here cause I was commuting between UK and SIN in the 70s and 80s (starting with 4 stops to get from SIN-LHR in 707s!). Not really paying attention to their US expansion

Anyone care to fill in the gaps?

US services were launched with the DC10s. The banners "CALIFORNIA, HERE WE COME!" were painted on the DC10s for this purpose.

US trans-pac services were eventually replaced by a mix of 747-200 and 747-300 until the arrival of the 747-400. The -300s were used from 1983 onwards with their return flights still stopping in HNL. I seem to remember as recent as 1987, I was still flying on a -200 SIN-NRT-LAX. The -300s were also used to inaugurate nonstop flights from LHR-SIN.

SIN-FRA-JFK
          SIN-AMS-EWR or JFK?

Trans-Atlantic flights were started after the arrival of the 747-400s in 1990, although they were delivered in 1989. First destination was Toronto which was served via Vienna (I think...). After the AC dispute that route was canned but was followed soon by the JFK service via FRA in 1992. EWR followed soon after and was always served via AMS until it was cancelled in favour of the A345 nonstop.

Comment

Since we're on related topics:

What was the Chicago routing? And how long did it last?

What was the Las Vegas routing? And how long did it last?

On the latter, I think it was SIN-HKG-LAS. And I think ORD was suspended after 9/11.

Comment

Originally posted by MegatopLover View Post
              Since we're on related topics:

What was the Chicago routing? And how long did it last?

What was the Las Vegas routing? And how long did it last?

On the latter, I think it was SIN-HKG-LAS. And I think ORD was suspended after 9/11.
              SIN-ORD was thrice weekly via AMS from 1 Aug 01 to 7 Apr 03 (Route Suspended 13 Jan 02 - 1 May 02).

SIN-LAS was also thrice weekly via HKG from 1 Aug 02 to 7 Apr 03.

Comment

Thanks. Curiosity satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                  SIN-FRA-JFK
                  SIN-AMS-EWR or JFK?
                  Before the 747-400 enabled SIN-FRA nonstop, SQ flew SIN-CMB-FRA with the 747-300.

Comment

Working...
                  X