Opening of T3 for Trial flights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wdranne View Post
    This statement is true for the toilets as well. If anyone has noticed, the toilets airside are much nicer than those landside...
    Not really, I would think that the landside toilets of T2 are nicer than those airside. For some of the airside toilets along the F pier, they are left unrenovated. But I feel that the airside toilets are much cleaner than those on landside. IMHO, the toilets in T1 are just dirty, regardless landside or airside.
    We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferrari_RoXz View Post
      The T3 viewmall is the worst i have seen. Why? Firstly, its located so far away from the glass panel (just like T2 but abit further) This is not so bad. But what pissed me off is that there is many sunshades which kinda block the view of the runway and parking areas. It's a waste. They placed the viewing mall in such a good location (touchdown zone of runway 02L) but the sunshades spoils the potentialy fantastic view. A very serious design flaw i would say. What's the point of having a viewing mall when obstructions are in the way?
      I was at the viewing mall, and I had mixed feelings about this. Yeah, it really sucks big time over the existence of shades, but they do seem necessary if you observe the overall layout. The tall glass wall will cause the airside of level three to be exposed to too much sunlight on a hot day, hence the need for shades on the top end of the glass panels.

Few seem to mention that you are now able to get great unobstructed views of aircraft landings, albeit as a paying passenger. I was even able to witness the A380 coming in to land during my visit last weekend!
      Help make this article a better one!

Comment

Originally posted by huaiwei View Post
        I was at the viewing mall, and I had mixed feelings about this. Yeah, it really sucks big time over the existence of shades, but they do seem necessary if you observe the overall layout. The tall glass wall will cause the airside of level three to be exposed to too much sunlight on a hot day, hence the need for shades on the top end of the glass panels.

Few seem to mention that you are now able to get great unobstructed views of aircraft landings, albeit as a paying passenger. I was even able to witness the A380 coming in to land during my visit last weekend!
        I suggested in another forum that if they were to build a viewing mall, it should have as little obstructions as possible. This is not a case of letting sunlight in. If they knew that without shades, it will affect the temp in the building. Then they should be clever enough to locate the viewing mall elsewhere. Or just close up the unnecesary gap in between the exterior of the terminal and the viewing mall. This way, the sun will just glare down into the viewing mall while the transit area (with the shade) will not be affected.

I suggest a econmical way to slove this problem. If you noticed, some airports around the world have open air viewing gallery (eg Nartita Airport, Japan) These open air design are cheap to maintain and most importantly it does not obstruct the sensation of being in an airport. Vistors can hear the jet engines roaring, they will not have unobstructed views.

For the management, its like killing 2 birds with one stone. Firstly, vistors will be happy about the views. So theyw ill not receive complains from the public which i will eleborate later on. Secondly, its much cheaper the maintain and build an open air viewing mall. Lets look at some of the cost savings:
        1. No need build roof = Save $
        2. No need build glass = Save $
        3. No need clean glass = Save $ (look at how dirty T2's glass is)
        4. No need to pay Air-con bills = Save $

Look at how much money is being saved if this idea was to be implemented during the design of the terminal. The savings could be used to reduce airport tax to attract airlines and vistors, further enhance the building's design and train staffs to be polite.

If anyone has noticed in The Straits Times (21st Nov 07), Somebody has complained about Changi Airport's all 3 terminal's viewing mall. He seems rather disapointed about T3's design (like i do). See, when you have bad design, the public will complain. Complain will cost $$ as people have to reply the public.

To salvage the bad situation at T3 viewing mall. What i suggets is to either get rid of the sickening sun shades. But if that will affect the temp in the terminal. Then CAAS could build another viewing mall DIRECTLY above the current one. This way, it will give passengers a choice of having a nice view wif no aircon, or having aircon with terrible view.
        Last edited by Ferrari_RoXz; 21 November 2007, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Do we think the design of an airport should be for passengers or spotters?

While they are not mutually exclusive of each other, I doubt the facilities for spotters will materially affect the profitability of the airport.

Comment

....or maybe change the Viewing Mall into a nice Cafe so CAAS will earn $$$ since international rules doesn't state that a Viewing Mall is a requirement for airport development......

sometimes, let us be careful of what we wish for....the tables can always be turned against us.

Corporatisation of CAAS means a more profit driven company....for a good example of the changes, see Sydney airport.....

Comment

I asked a T3 staff yesterday and he told me the sunshades you see in the viewing mall are temporary and they will be taken down next year. The reason why they are up is they are still doing construction and they don't want any foreign objects hitting aircraft. It will be gone soon. Overall, I think the viewing mall is just rubbish.

If they could restore the runway section of the viewing mall at T1...

Comment

Originally posted by simong View Post

While they are not mutually exclusive of each other, I doubt the facilities for spotters will materially affect the profitability of the airport.
                Spot on. ( lame pun )
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                  Spot on. ( lame pun )
                  LOL!

Originally posted by simong View Post

Thirded.
                  All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                    LOL!

Thirded.
                    Fourthed.

Anyone who has actually been there will know why. Extending the viewing gallery to the glass wall means the "lounge" for passengers will loose its rather nice high-ceiling ambiance. Those trees and koi ponds arent gonna look pretty and thrive well in a single-floor and dark environment.

Comment

Originally posted by WSSS View Post
                      I asked a T3 staff yesterday and he told me the sunshades you see in the viewing mall are temporary and they will be taken down next year. The reason why they are up is they are still doing construction and they don't want any foreign objects hitting aircraft. It will be gone soon. Overall, I think the viewing mall is just rubbish.

I hope this is true, but I have some doubts. I noticed the sunshades look rather "permanent", and do appear to be part of the building design element.

Comment

I have my doubts about this too. If you noticed, T2 has somewhat the same design element. The shades are attatched to the building and obstructs the view of the runway.

As somebody complained in The Straits Times, lets wait for CAAS's official reply. Keep touch with the newspapers guys!

Comment

Not quite possible for now I think. It's now occupied by the Emirates Lounge.
                          We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

Originally posted by nykelaz View Post
                            Not quite possible for now I think. It's now occupied by the Emirates Lounge.
                            My god, hopes of re-living my memories are now gone. Last resort, go break a hole through the wall. The wall seems breakable. Sounds so hollow.

Comment

You pay premium you get the very best, you pay nothing, you get crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferrari_RoXz View Post
                                My god, hopes of re-living my memories are now gone. Last resort, go break a hole through the wall. The wall seems breakable. Sounds so hollow.
                                Yeah, I wonder why they need such a big space. Cause next to the Emirates Lounge is a huge empty space that has nothing other than benches for passengers in transit to rest. In fact, it's often used by staff to nap rather than passengers. What a waste of space.

Comment

Working...
                                X