Approaches into Changi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Approaches into Changi

How many approaches are there to Changi ?

I'm not very observant but, so I understand, there's the usual one which comes in from the north (or northeast ?), passes over what looks to me like a golf course (or ornamental garden ?!?) and touches down. There's also another one which comes in - presumably - from the south and flies over a lot more of Singapore ?

Thanks in advance for satisfying my curiousity!

Originally posted by jhm View Post
    How many approaches are there to Changi ?

I'm not very observant but, so I understand, there's the usual one which comes in from the north (or northeast ?), passes over what looks to me like a golf course (or ornamental garden ?!?) and touches down. There's also another one which comes in - presumably - from the south and flies over a lot more of Singapore ?

Thanks in advance for satisfying my curiousity!
    Standard terminal arrival - or STAR is what they're called.

and according to http://www.caas.gov.sg/caasWeb/expor...SSS-AD2-27.pdf

there are 10 - from BOBAG 1

to REMES 6 bravo

When i have the time - I'll go thru them one by one and tell you which way they come in. An indication though - is the runway it's meant for.

Comment

BOBAG 1 ALPHA

Approach seems to be from either waypoint ARAMA, REKOP or ASUNA, then track heading 083degrees, crossing waypoint BOBAG not lower than FL100, 250 knots, and then intercept the ILS finals for runway 02L (earlier) or 02C (later) after passing waypoint SAMKO.

So - comes from the west/northwest of singapore - for a landing on either of the northern facing runways.

The seats to have:
      Left hand side for views of singapore.
      If landing on 02L (which you won't know unless you ask) - left hand side, no view of ANY terminal, right hand side, views of all 3 terminals on landing

If landing on 02C - LHS - views of all 3 terminals, RHS - view of the road and a couple of spotters about to be chased away by cops
      Last edited by SQflyergirl; 19 July 2007, 05:20 AM.

Comment

I knew THE expert would be able to give guidance.

May I just request non-technical translation for mortals like me, pretty please? In essence, which side to sit on if I had a window seat? Different for takeoff vs landing, T1 vs T2 (and soon T3) arrival?
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

BOBAG 1 BRAVO

is similar to BOBAG 1 Alpha - except that it's for the reciprocal of 02L/02C (20C/20R) - so the pilot goes straight on after waypoint samko, turns left to heading 023 at Batam (BTM) VOR - then turns left again at waypoint DOVAN, yet again at waypoint BIPOP to intercept ILS for 20C/20R

So this starts from the west/northwest of Singapore, skirts the south of singapore, skirts the east coast, turns left again and lands facing south.

The seats to have:
          Left hand side for high level views of singapore.
          If landing on 20C (which you won't know unless you ask) - left hand side, no view of ANY terminal, right hand side, views of all 3 terminals on landing

If landing on 20R - LHS - views of all 3 terminals, RHS - no view
          Last edited by SQflyergirl; 19 July 2007, 05:21 AM.

Comment

LAVAX 1 ALPHA

Seems to be fairly common coming from Australia via the eastern route overhead DPS.

This one basically facing north, never really overflying Singapore.

The seats to have:
            Left hand side for limited views of singapore.
            If landing on 02L - left hand side, no view of ANY terminal, right hand side, views of all 3 terminals on landing

If landing on 02C - LHS - views of all 3 terminals, RHS - view of the road and a couple of spotters about to be chased away by cops
            Last edited by SQflyergirl; 19 July 2007, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
              I knew THE expert would be able to give guidance.

May I just request non-technical translation for mortals like me, pretty please? In essence, which side to sit on if I had a window seat? Different for takeoff vs landing, T1 vs T2 (and soon T3) arrival?
              STAR - are all arrivals. There are corresponding SIDs (Standard Instrument departures) for departures.

Comment

Much much more complicated than I could ever have imagined! If I didn't know better, I'd think you're a pilot or do something aviation related, SQflyergirl!

Some silly questions maybe but:

1 There are two runways - 2L and 2C ? Why are they also called 20R and 20C ? Does it depend which way they're running (changing I believe depending on the direction of the wind) ?

2 Can you actually recognise what approach is being made ? Or do you need to be sat in the cockpit ?

3 Wikipedia says:

A new parallel runway 02R/20L (previously named 01/19 when opened in 2004)was built 1.8 kilometers (1.1 mi) to the east of 02C/20C, currently used only by Republic of Singapore Air Force aircraft as part of Changi Airbase (East). The new runway is expected to be extended and eventually be turned into a third runway for the airport in future expansion plans.
                This presumably isn't connected with T3 ?

4 So what exactly is it that I've been seeing on approaches ? Looks like a golf course or park with bunkers, bridges, pools of water etc.

Comment

Much much more complicated than I could ever have imagined! If I didn't know better, I'd think you're a pilot or do something aviation related, SQflyergirl!

Some silly questions maybe but:

1 There are two runways - 2L and 2C ? Why are they also called 20R and 20C ? Does it depend which way they're running (changing I believe depending on the direction of the wind) ?
                  The pieces of tarmac known as 02L and 02C are also called 20R and 20C respectively depending on which way you're pointed. 02 indicates a heading of 020 degrees. L is left - turn it around, and 02L is also 20R(ight) coming from the other way. It depends on prevailing wind. You want to take off into a prevailing headwind component - as it decreases takeoff roll.

2 Can you actually recognise what approach is being made ? Or do you need to be sat in the cockpit ?
                  Yes, if you're quite familiar.

3 Wikipedia says:

This presumably isn't connected with T3 ?
                  02R/20L is not really related to the changi you and I know. The SAF uses it - and there aren't even taxiways that link the two existing runways to this third one. And no, it's got nothing to do with Terminal 3.

4 So what exactly is it that I've been seeing on approaches ? Looks like a golf course or park with bunkers, bridges, pools of water etc.
                  a golf course or park with bunkers, bridges, pools of water etc.

Comment

Seriously, i don't know the name of the golf course - but it can be seen on finals from the left hand side of the plane onto Runway 02C and either side of the plane onto Runway 02L
                    Last edited by SQflyergirl; 19 July 2007, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the explanations! If L is left (the left hand runway) and R is right, why C ? There are only 2 runways ?

Comment

Thanks for the explanations! If L is left (the left hand runway) and R is right, why C ? There are only 2 runways ?

C= center. They DO count that runway that the SAF uses as part of Changi airport.

Comment

02L flies you over Laguna golf club and my office

02C flies over SAFRA golf club

Comment

A long time ago, there used to be just 2 runways in the area: 02L/20R (beside T1) and 02R/20L (beside T2, next to Changi Coast Road). Then, a third runway was built -- a much shorter one, used exclusively by the jet fighters from Changi Air Base. 02R/20L was given to this military runway, and the runway that this name belonged to was given a new code: 02C/20C.
                            My Cafe Adventures
                            Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
                            http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                              02L flies you over Laguna golf club and my office

02C flies over SAFRA golf club
                              Following the discussion previously on my brush-ins with the law and the search for better viewing spots, I made by way to the Lakes Cafe at the Laguna National Golf and Country Club one evening. All I saw was planes departing from 02L/20R, in the distance. I thought I was rather far from the action. Perhaps the planes do go over the golf course per se, but not the clubhouse I was in.
                              My Cafe Adventures
                              Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
                              http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X