Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Qantas Group full service carrier could further alter competitive landscape in SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
    btw why this qantas never consider bkk as their hub for new airlines?
    Not much feeder traffic for QF, whereas it's already a QF hub in SIN. Also I think it's a strategic reason. SQ went to bed with Virgin Australia, so QF wanna screw things up for them here.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
      QF and JQ don't have a base there, like KUL. But KUL can be a OW hub with MH joining. BKK's TG is part of *A.
      You got the point. I think KUL will be the better choice for them. But still if they choose KUL, there will be missing link between KUL and BKK.
      So I guess SIN will be the better choice and they can feed KUL and BKK using Jetstar
      visit my blog

Comment

I doubt they will choose KUL, MH is joining One World I don't think starting up a new airline in an alliance members hub to compete is the best idea. Same goes for HKG no point setting up in another member hub, SIN is the most likely with BKK being a outside chance.

Comment

It's better having two OW hubs in the vicinity as opposed to one. This works well for *A having both SIN and BKK so for OW to have SIN and KUL, whilst keeping BKK for a BA/QF kangaroo optional jump provides a very good network in S.E.Asia sorely lacking at the moment.

More so with 'local' S.E.Asia sectors added, the same DragonAir achieves for CX and OW out of HKG. JetStar/AirAsia out of both SIN and KUL could help enormously if inter connect ability could be achieved......helped by AirAsia abandoning the budget terminal in KUL.

Comment

well seems there is in-build assumption that this "new" airlines will be OW. I thought that's not necessary true
            visit my blog

Comment

It doesn't have to be, that's true enough but, like JetStar, if we as locally based personnel get the QF card then we benefit from OW status, QF miles on JetStar and most likely miles on the new airline too.

Yes, initially it only works with a QF card but I would say.....give it time.

I would hope the next step then is a credit locally that can transfer points to the QF card instead of the limited common options of AsiaMiles, KF and ROP.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
                It doesn't have to be, that's true enough but, like JetStar, if we as locally based personnel get the QF card then we benefit from OW status, QF miles on JetStar and most likely miles on the new airline too.

Yes, initially it only works with a QF card but I would say.....give it time.

I would hope the next step then is a credit locally that can transfer points to the QF card instead of the limited common options of AsiaMiles, KF and ROP.
                you forgot the SkyMiles. Well anyway another option is always welcomed

i am thinking to start collecting miles on Qantas FF due to ability to earn mileage and status on Jetstar Asia. Also its lifetime status thing. They seem quite generous in Discount Fare also
                visit my blog

Comment

I'm not for QF setting up shop in Singapore. The interests of SIA need to be protected. Call me nationalistic, but with the Australian nationalistic attitude (protecting Qantas, ASX), I think it's time Singapore does tit for tat with Australia or plays hardball with Australia.

Anyway Singapore won't lose out if they reject Qantas...Qantas has no other Asia markets to capture the premium market except Hong Kong.

Comment

Originally posted by zilchster View Post
                    I'm not for QF setting up shop in Singapore. The interests of SIA need to be protected. Call me nationalistic, but with the Australian nationalistic attitude (protecting Qantas, ASX), I think it's time Singapore does tit for tat with Australia or plays hardball with Australia.

Anyway Singapore won't lose out if they reject Qantas...Qantas has no other Asia markets to capture the premium market except Hong Kong.
                    It's not so much that SQ's interests need to be protected but rather for Singapore (as opposed to SQ) to get the best deal out of this opportunity. If MOT is on the ball, we should try to some transpac rights via Oz in exchange for Qantas setting up shop at SIN (if SIN is indeed their preference). I'm not particularly optimistic we'd get the trade tho but I think we should try nevertheless.

Comment

Do SQ even want trans-pac from Australia anymore? I was under the impression they did not since Delta and V Australia now fly the route.
                      My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Not going to happen I'm afraid. The Singapore Government has always made it clear keeping Changi / Singapore as a major aviaition hub is higher on the list of priorities than protecting SQ.

Comment

I think the muted Open Skies policy in any case is the biggest problem for SQ, not the setting up of another airline specifically. Even if QF don't set it up, the likes of MH could easily just piggie back through SIN on the way to SYD instead, I suppose.

Comment

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...challenge.html

Qantas Aims to Surpass Singapore Air A380s in Comfort With Luxury Cabins
                            By Robert Fenner and Dan Petrie - Aug 23, 2011

Qantas Airways Ltd. (QAN) said its planned Asian carrier will have cabins more luxurious than those on the group’s flagship Airbus SAS A380s as it tries to lure fliers from Singapore Airlines Ltd. (SIA)

“This will be a top premium product,” Qantas Chief Executive Officer Alan Joyce said in a Bloomberg TV interview on Aug. 19. The business-class and economy-class cabins will both be “better than the A380s,” he said.

The new carrier, which may be based in Singapore or Malaysia, will have a “private-jet feel,” Joyce said, as Australia’s biggest airline focuses on Asia to help end losses at its international unit. The planned airline will need better services than Qantas’ existing operations to challenge Singapore Air, Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd. and Korean Air Lines Co., said Neil Hansford, chairman of Strategic Aviation Solutions.

“Asian carriers have been beating Qantas with a better product,” Hansford said. Furthermore, the existing airlines “are not going to sit back and wait for Qantas to take their business,” he said.

The new Qantas carrier, which will operate under a new brand, will begin services with 11 single-aisle A320s. That will enable it to fly to Australia, India and China, Joyce said.

Comment

I'm not for QF setting up shop in Singapore. The interests of SIA need to be protected.
                              Wholeheartedly disagree. I am soooooo looking forward to seeing SQ face a network-wide fight for premium traffic.

With their systematic and willful destruction of the PPS loyalty base, it'll be a great sight to see even a small percentage (or perhaps larger...) of their beloved premium corporate base de-camp FOR A BETTER DEAL...

Comment

Do they mention anywhere whether it will be part of oneworld for benefits/earning or a separate subsidiary like JQ?

Comment

Working...
                                X