Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIN-BCN-GRU Approved; First Flight March 2011

http://www.europapress.es/economia/t...907194500.html

I guess this means the end of the MXP-BCN tag. This will open up interesting RTW possibilities.

My poor attempt to translate:
    Spain's Ministry of Development, through the Directorate General of Civil Aviation, has authorized Spanair to code-share the Barcelona-Sao Paulo route, reported the department led by José Blanco.

The Ministry of Development indicated that it had given a 'green light' to the request by Singapore Airlines and Spanair to operate on the route Singapore-Barcelona-Sao Paulo, and vice versa, outside the bilateral agreement and subject to reciprocity.

The route will have three flights weekly and it should be operated with a Spanish airline code-sharing.

OMG! Finally SQ arrives in South America.

So then, MXP will be a dedicated service?

Comment

Originally posted by SliverKris View Post
      So then, MXP will be a dedicated service?
      It would seem so, though there have been rumours of SIN-MXP-JFK.

Comment

ah! if it can only be couple of mths earlier!!!

Comment

SIN-FRA-JFK

Suffers from 2 problems:

1. Bad Timing
          It leaves too early from FRA-JFK to allow PAXs to connect from other European cities

2. Low frequency
          It doesn't have the frequency to compete with LH to New York

SIN-MXP-JFK

Could this be the solution? While it doesn't solve the "bad timing", competition MXP-JFK would not be so tough.

How many airlines ply MXP-JFK with many multiple flights daily?

As for SIN-BCN-GRU, hope it pans out. It'll be great to see SQ in South America.

Read in the Economist about the "New Silk Route". ie Trade between South America and Asia

But 3 times weekly only? Currently SIN-MXP-BCN is daily
          Last edited by 9V-SIA; 8 September 2010, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Well this is interesting, SQ finally spreading their wings to South America. What aircraft will be assigned? And i guess this means MXP-JFK will replace FRA-JFK?

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
              Well this is interesting, SQ finally spreading their wings to South America. What aircraft will be assigned? And i guess this means MXP-JFK will replace FRA-JFK?
              I'm guessing 77W.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                SIN-FRA-JFK

Suffers from 2 problems:

1. Bad Timing
                2. Low frequency
                SQ's third problem with SIN-FRA-JFK is that the JumboJet suffers from a lack of capacity for SIN-FRA and a surplus of capacity for FRA-JFK.

How many airlines ply MXP-JFK with many multiple flights daily?
                AA, AZ, and DL each have one daily MXP-JFK flight. CO has one daily EWR-MXP flight.

SQ could do very well moving FRA-JFK to MXP-JFK if they renew code-sharing with LH on FRA-JFK and start code-sharing with Lufthansa Italia to get MXP feed. LH might be eager to do a deal that means eliminating competition in the FRA-JFK market (watch fares increase!) and selling more seats on the Lufthansa Italia flights.

But 3 times weekly only? Currently SIN-MXP-BCN is daily
                If it works well, there will be pressure from SpanAir on the Spanish government to permit an increase in frequency.

I guess this means MXP-JFK will replace FRA-JFK?
                That's possible, but far from clear.

What aircraft will be assigned?
                The WhaleJet is too large. The JumboJet is too large and will be gone from SQ's fleet in less than two years. The A340-500s are busy elsewhere and only suitable for very high yield routes. The A330-300s and 777-300s don't have the range. The 787-9s and A350-900s won't enter the fleet before 2013 and 2014, respectively. That leaves only the 777-200ER and 777-300ER as possible choices.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                  AA, AZ, and DL each have one daily MXP-JFK flight. CO has one daily EWR-MXP flight.
                  So while there are many daily MXP-JFK flights, they are single flights by 4 airlines. More level playing field for SQ then..

SQ could do very well moving FRA-JFK to MXP-JFK if they renew code-sharing with LH on FRA-JFK and start code-sharing with Lufthansa Italia to get MXP feed. LH might be eager to do a deal that means eliminating competition in the FRA-JFK market (watch fares increase!) and selling more seats on the Lufthansa Italia flights
                  Premium traffic won't be a problem either.

I know a lot of fashionistas & tai tais who shop in MXP ( and complain flight always full ).

I'm sure NYC has a similar crowd..
                  Last edited by 9V-SIA; 10 September 2010, 09:15 AM.

Comment

SIN-FRA-JFK

Suffers from 2 problems:

1. Bad Timing
                    It leaves too early from FRA-JFK to allow PAXs to connect from other European cities

2. Low frequency
                    It doesn't have the frequency to compete with LH to New York
                    Why don't SQ fly a day sector from SIN-FRA-JFK? You could shift the current 77W depature so that it departs SIN in the morning, arrives in FRA in the afternoon, and then onto JFK arriving in the evening. Then they could get more connecting PAX and solve this problem.

Actually, my guess is that LH don't want the competition so pressured FRAPORT or the government to only allow SQ to fly at these times onto JFK and that is whats causing the problems for SQ with the time.

Comment

So while there are many daily MXP-JFK flights, they are single flights by 4 airlines. More level playing field for SQ then..

Originally posted by dj_jay_smith View Post
                      Why don't SQ fly a day sector from SIN-FRA-JFK? You could shift the current 77W depature so that it departs SIN in the morning, arrives in FRA in the afternoon, and then onto JFK arriving in the evening. Then they could get more connecting PAX and solve this problem.
                      Could you please post the specific flight time you're suggesting?

Originally posted by dj_jay_smith View Post
                      Actually, my guess is that LH don't want the competition so pressured FRAPORT or the government to only allow SQ to fly at these times onto JFK and that is whats causing the problems for SQ with the time.
                      I would have believed this twenty years ago. However, in the 1990s I flew into FRA on UA listening to air traffic communications on channel 9 of the IFE. It was the first day that a new German government rule was in effect requiring equal treatment of all inbound aircraft. A LH captain was cursing ATC (in German, of course) for putting him in the approach queue. He was accustomed to LH flights being immediately cleared to land with everyone else having to circle. I believe the current government is even more committed to a level playing field.

Comment

Originally posted by wsssaero View Post
                        I'm guessing 77W.
                        will they have enough 77Ws?

Comment

will they have enough 77Ws?
                          I'm hoping they'll now have to exercise their 77W options...

Comment

AZ doesn't have a 7xw from MXP to JFK, but 4xw.

Comment

Originally posted by SQMilan View Post
                              AZ doesn't have a 7xw from MXP to JFK, but 4xw.
                              If you had to fly MXP-JFK and had to choose between the following airlines, which would you choose?
                              1. AA
                              2. DL
                              3. CO
                              4. AZ
                              5. SQ

My choice is secret!

Comment

Working...
                              X