Layover at Ho Chi Minh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layover at Ho Chi Minh

I will have about a 6 hours layover, arriving at 0855 and departing on a domestic flight at 1500 hours.

What can I do with those 4hours, okay, minus the hours I need to be at the airport before departure in the afternoon.

How far is SGN airport to the city?? I will probably pop into town for lunch, snap a few pictures of sights and eye candies before heading back to the airport.

Suggestions?
    This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Airport is not far from the city, less than 10km on my guesstimate. But it may take you 30-45mins to travel that distance. I think you can do the war museum during that stopover.

I'll leave the SGN expert to tell you more....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
      How far is SGN airport to the city?? I will probably pop into town for lunch, snap a few pictures of sights and eye candies before heading back to the airport.

Suggestions?
      It's quite close actually (I think it's listed as 8km from 'downtown') and now that they have widened the road into town recently it's clawed back some of the time lost over the last few years as more cars have started appearing. It will take at best 20 minutes, at worst 45 minutes. If you're running late on the way back offer the driver an extra 5 USD to get you there quick. It's worked for me a couple of times...

If you haven't been before then you should check out the War Remnants Museum and maybe the Reunification Palace. It's quite a compact city with most places concentrated around District 1, which is where the main places are for eating, drinking and shopping and the main hotels are located.

When are you there ?. I'm there tomorrow for a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
        It's quite close actually (I think it's listed as 8km from 'downtown') and now that they have widened the road into town recently it's clawed back some of the time lost over the last few years as more cars have started appearing. It will take at best 20 minutes, at worst 45 minutes. If you're running late on the way back offer the driver an extra 5 USD to get you there quick. It's worked for me a couple of times...

If you haven't been before then you should check out the War Remnants Museum and maybe the Reunification Palace. It's quite a compact city with most places concentrated around District 1, which is where the main places are for eating, drinking and shopping and the main hotels are located.

When are you there ?. I'm there tomorrow for a few days.
        I will land in SGN on Monday, 0855hours, on the SQ flight.

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
          I will land in SGN on Monday, 0855hours, on the SQ flight.
          That's a shame. I leave Sunday afternoon.

Enjoy Saigon!.

Comment

If you wanna do very touristy stuff, you can just visit the Ben Thanh market. Can also grab some souvenirs, but remember to BARGAIN!. The taxi ride should be no more then 45 minutes 1 way.

Then if you're hungry, you can also have a meal at pho2000. Thats beside Ben Thanh market. Clinton (Bill that is), ate there before...
            Life's A Bitch,
            Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

It's quite close actually (I think it's listed as 8km from 'downtown') and now that they have widened the road into town recently it's clawed back some of the time lost over the last few years as more cars have started appearing. It will take at best 20 minutes, at worst 45 minutes.
              Well, they've got large chunks of that main road dug up again, so it will delay things a little. Took me 35 minutes to District 1 this morning, after I had fought through the TV cameras and fans awaiting the Vietnamese Mt Everest team (or something like that) returning home...

Originally posted by inix View Post
              If you wanna do very touristy stuff, you can just visit the Ben Thanh market. Can also grab some souvenirs, but remember to BARGAIN!. The taxi ride should be no more then 45 minutes 1 way.

Then if you're hungry, you can also have a meal at pho2000. Thats beside Ben Thanh market. Clinton (Bill that is), ate there before...
              Ben Thanh Market gets pushed a lot by the tourist authorities but I really don't get the attraction myself. I can't stand the place.

Comment

Well, they've got large chunks of that main road dug up again, so it will delay things a little. Took me 35 minutes to District 1 this morning, after I had fought through the TV cameras and fans awaiting the Vietnamese Mt Everest team (or something like that) returning home...

Ben Thanh Market gets pushed a lot by the tourist authorities but I really don't get the attraction myself. I can't stand the place.
                For someone who gets to HCMC often, Ben Thanh is probably the last place I wanna go.. hahaha. But for someone with a short layover, I guess it would be a good place to look at Ho Chi Min
                Life's A Bitch,
                Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Originally posted by inix View Post
                  For someone who gets to HCMC often, Ben Thanh is probably the last place I wanna go.. hahaha. But for someone with a short layover, I guess it would be a good place to look at Ho Chi Min
                  Fair point. I suppose I'm just bored of it now. Having said that I'd been here 20 times before I even went there, I think.

Comment

Ok, landed safely in HCM city, right on time, 0845 hours. Got outof the International Terminal, went over to Domestic. Check with vietnam air and found that I could check in my luggage even though my flight is at 1515 hours. Did just that and I was free by 1000 hours.

Had a coffee and decided to hit the city. went to a car rental counter and got a car with driver, for 400,000 VD, about USD25.00 and he brought me into the city. The driver stays with me, for at least 3 hours. Went to HCM square, by the People's Committee something.... went into a Tourist Info office, got a map and asked the driver to bring me to the War Remnent Museum. On way passed by the market mentioned above, but since it is looking very touristy, I did not stop the driver.

Saw the atrocities at the musuem. Had the driver brought me to a local cafe and had some beef noodles.

Back in the airport by 1300 hours and now waiting for my domestic flight.

Will post my short impression of HCM when I have time.

Comment

Working...
                    X