SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > Singapore Airlines > All About Singapore Airlines

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th February 2019, 07:46 PM   #1
LennonG
SQTalker
 
Join Date: 13-Mar-2016
Posts: 8
Default No through check-in at NGO?

my ticket was booked on sq

SIN - NGO (SQ)-Biz
NGO-CTS (NH)-Econ

I was surprise that there is no through check-in service for NGO airport.
I was told to collect my luggage at NGO and re-check-in at the domestic departure counter when i reach NGO.

Anyone have similar experience?
LennonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2019, 07:50 PM   #2
cowie
SQTalk Elite Silver
 
Join Date: 27-May-2016
Location: SIN
Programs: SQ PPS
Posts: 96
Default

All international to domestic transfers in Japan require you to have your bags examined at the entry port. No check through is possible, regardless of airline.
cowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2019, 09:57 AM   #3
lingua101
SQTalk Solitaire PPS
 
lingua101's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18-Aug-2009
Location: Singapore
Programs: Royal Orchid Plus
Posts: 1,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowie View Post
All international to domestic transfers in Japan require you to have your bags examined at the entry port. No check through is possible, regardless of airline.
If the bag is tagged to CTS, this is a check through, regardless if you have to collect the bag at the first point of entry if the final leg is domestic sector.
__________________
visit my blog
lingua101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2019, 12:57 PM   #4
SQ218
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Join Date: 06-Jan-2008
Location: MEL
Posts: 369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingua101 View Post
If the bag is tagged to CTS, this is a check through, regardless if you have to collect the bag at the first point of entry if the final leg is domestic sector.
Looks like, even if check through, baggage still need to be collected at international arrival and re-check in to domestic.

Quote from ANA website
Quote:
At the International flight departure airport in the applicable country, you can check-in for the ANA Japan domestic sector to which you will be connecting from an international flight operated by an ANA Group carrier.
For customs, you will need to collect your baggage at the international flight arrival airport and check in the baggage again.
* Baggage can be checked in only when it is a same day connection.
https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/servicei...n/checkin.html
SQ218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 12:35 PM   #5
cowie
SQTalk Elite Silver
 
Join Date: 27-May-2016
Location: SIN
Programs: SQ PPS
Posts: 96
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingua101 View Post
If the bag is tagged to CTS, this is a check through, regardless if you have to collect the bag at the first point of entry if the final leg is domestic sector.
I apologise for using the term "check through" too loosely. What I meant is that regardless of whether you can get your bags tagged all the way to the final destination, you will still need to retrieve them for customs inspection at the first port of entry into Japan.

We holiday in Japan about twice a year, usually flying into Tokyo on an award ticket and connecting to a secondary airport on a cheap domestic revenue ticket.

I've only ever managed to have my bags tagged all the way through once. On that occasion, I was on a SIN-KUL-NRT-NGO itinerary, on MH/JL and a mix of J and Y.

A very hardworking agent at the MH desk in SIN spent more than 15 minutes typing away at her computer. She looked very pleased with herself when she presented me with all three boarding passes and baggage tags that showed NGO as the final destination.

My luggage still emerged at the carousel at NRT (but I knew this was going to happen, so I waited before going landside).

Why I'm recounting the story: I'd argue that this would, in fact, be confusing for travellers who aren't used to the Japanese system. They would be in for a shock when their bags don't show up at the end of the journey. (Or more likely, be subject to desperate paging over the PA system at the first port of entry.)

Circling back to the OP, don't worry about having to pick up your bags in NGO and re-checking them. It's all within the same terminal.
cowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 02:47 PM   #6
ycp81
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS
 
ycp81's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-Apr-2007
Location: Singapore
Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Flying Blue, Enrich
Posts: 2,517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingua101 View Post
If the bag is tagged to CTS, this is a check through, regardless if you have to collect the bag at the first point of entry if the final leg is domestic sector.
This is the standard procedure for most countries when connecting from International to domestic flights. Customs checks are only performed for international arrivals, hence the need to collect and re-check in the bags, despite being tagged to final destination and boarding passes issued. However, there are a few countries that allow check-thru to domestic flights, provided there are customs facilities at the destination airport/terminal and airlines offer the facility to separate international/domestic bags. TK and TG offers such facility to selected destinations in Turkey and Thailand respectively.
ycp81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 04:38 PM   #7
SQ228
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS
 
Join Date: 16-Dec-2010
Location: Currently MEL, often DUS
Programs: KFEG
Posts: 2,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowie View Post
Circling back to the OP, don't worry about having to pick up your bags in NGO and re-checking them. It's all within the same terminal.
Yes I think I'd have to rate NGO as the easiest airport I've ever come across. So logical and thought out in every aspect.
SQ228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2019, 03:59 AM   #8
Buster CT1K
SQTalk Elite Silver
 
Join Date: 16-Oct-2007
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycp81 View Post
This is the standard procedure for most countries when connecting from International to domestic flights. Customs checks are only performed for international arrivals, hence the need to collect and re-check in the bags, despite being tagged to final destination and boarding passes issued. However, there are a few countries that allow check-thru to domestic flights, provided there are customs facilities at the destination airport/terminal and airlines offer the facility to separate international/domestic bags. TK and TG offers such facility to selected destinations in Turkey and Thailand respectively.
Europe, of course, is a significant exception.
Buster CT1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2019, 05:54 PM   #9
lingua101
SQTalk Solitaire PPS
 
lingua101's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18-Aug-2009
Location: Singapore
Programs: Royal Orchid Plus
Posts: 1,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowie View Post
I apologise for using the term "check through" too loosely. What I meant is that regardless of whether you can get your bags tagged all the way to the final destination, you will still need to retrieve them for customs inspection at the first port of entry into Japan.

We holiday in Japan about twice a year, usually flying into Tokyo on an award ticket and connecting to a secondary airport on a cheap domestic revenue ticket.

I've only ever managed to have my bags tagged all the way through once. On that occasion, I was on a SIN-KUL-NRT-NGO itinerary, on MH/JL and a mix of J and Y.

A very hardworking agent at the MH desk in SIN spent more than 15 minutes typing away at her computer. She looked very pleased with herself when she presented me with all three boarding passes and baggage tags that showed NGO as the final destination.

My luggage still emerged at the carousel at NRT (but I knew this was going to happen, so I waited before going landside).

Why I'm recounting the story: I'd argue that this would, in fact, be confusing for travellers who aren't used to the Japanese system. They would be in for a shock when their bags don't show up at the end of the journey. (Or more likely, be subject to desperate paging over the PA system at the first port of entry.)

Circling back to the OP, don't worry about having to pick up your bags in NGO and re-checking them. It's all within the same terminal.
I do not fly to Japan very frequently, but I remember that when I fly TG, they will make announcement that unless you fly to Phuket, Chiangmai etc, you need to collect the bag in BKK.

I found the Thai way is very confusing and they should follow Japan/US way that you should collect the luggage at the point of entry.


Just wonder on the Boarding pass. Did the BP get reissued? I remember long time ago, the AA agent will print my SFO-SIN BP ex-AUS, but the SQ agent in SFO reprint the BP using SQ BP and I still seeing this happening nowadays
__________________
visit my blog
lingua101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2019, 06:00 PM   #10
lingua101
SQTalk Solitaire PPS
 
lingua101's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18-Aug-2009
Location: Singapore
Programs: Royal Orchid Plus
Posts: 1,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycp81 View Post
This is the standard procedure for most countries when connecting from International to domestic flights. Customs checks are only performed for international arrivals, hence the need to collect and re-check in the bags, despite being tagged to final destination and boarding passes issued. However, there are a few countries that allow check-thru to domestic flights, provided there are customs facilities at the destination airport/terminal and airlines offer the facility to separate international/domestic bags. TK and TG offers such facility to selected destinations in Turkey and Thailand respectively.

Actually I wonder, how they decided who should go through custom and who should not?
__________________
visit my blog
lingua101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2019, 06:54 PM   #11
yuuka_miya
SQTalker
 
Join Date: 22-Nov-2018
Posts: 10
Default

I did SIN-BKK-CNX on TG/WE a few years back.

If memory serves you get a sticker at BKK. At CNX those with the stickers were sent to international arrivals, they wave you through passport control but you still do customs and baggage inspection there. Can't remember if there's any further checks.

Same thing on the way out, clear exit immigration and get sticker at CNX, mix with domestic passengers on CNX-BKK flight, identity check and ushered through transit security at BKK - there's a door for this somewhere, though it might have changed, or it might have been because I was with a group.

Might be for tourism related purposes, to make life easier for Phuket/Chiangmai bound tourists transiting in BKK.
yuuka_miya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2019, 12:37 AM   #12
SilverChris
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS
 
Join Date: 26-Mar-2010
Location: YVR/KUL
Posts: 2,193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingua101 View Post
I found the Thai way is very confusing and they should follow Japan/US way that you should collect the luggage at the point of entry.
The list of eligible domestic destinations convers the vast majority of international-domestic traffic anyway.

If most travellers benefit from this I donít see why they should get rid of it and follow the PITA US/Japan way.
SilverChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2019, 11:46 AM   #13
lingua101
SQTalk Solitaire PPS
 
lingua101's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18-Aug-2009
Location: Singapore
Programs: Royal Orchid Plus
Posts: 1,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverChris View Post
The list of eligible domestic destinations convers the vast majority of international-domestic traffic anyway.

If most travellers benefit from this I donít see why they should get rid of it and follow the PITA US/Japan way.

assuming I am traveling SIN-BKK-CNX, so I will clear custom in CNX. But BKK-CNX flight is a domestic flight. I just wonder how this is being handled. To be it is quite nightmare as it may end up someone does not go through the proper custom.
__________________
visit my blog
lingua101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2019, 04:16 PM   #14
ycp81
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS
 
ycp81's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-Apr-2007
Location: Singapore
Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Flying Blue, Enrich
Posts: 2,517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingua101 View Post
assuming I am traveling SIN-BKK-CNX, so I will clear custom in CNX. But BKK-CNX flight is a domestic flight. I just wonder how this is being handled. To be it is quite nightmare as it may end up someone does not go through the proper custom.
Immigration and carry-on screening is still conducted at BKK. Customs (check-in luggage screening) will be done at CNX. If I am not wrong, the domestic and international luggage will be separated and cone out on different belts in CNX, with the international belt leading to customs check. Passengers with international check-in luggage will be directed to international baggage hall.
ycp81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Techadmin: Luke | Hosting: www.lomag.net