Reinvention of Hong Kong Express: HKG-RMQ July 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinvention of Hong Kong Express: HKG-RMQ July 2014

“Reinvention” of Hong Kong Express – Hong Kong’s own Low Cost Airline (LCC)

The second airline that I have decided to fly this summer is the “new” Hong Kong Express, which is a subsidiary of Hong Kong Airlines, or shares the same parents, Hainan Airline Group. Honestly it is so confusing that I don’t want to waste too much space to discuss about its origin, other than the fact that Hong Kong Express (UO) has been in existence longer, and began with a small operation of EMB-170 jets flying to various regional cities in China and Taiwan, but eventually it merged with CR Airways, which is another Hong Kong regional airline using regional jets. It has later expanded into an operation using primarily Boeing 737-800s. I flew it once from Hong Kong to Kuala Lumpur on October 2008, when it was still a two-class traditional airline operation. You could still find my old report, but in 2013, Hong Kong Express has decided to transform itself into a full LCC operation with the support of Hong Kong Airlines (HX). It uses new A320s transferred from HX, and I consider this move as a preemptive one, before Jetstar Hong Kong’s original plan to start service in 2014, which is really going nowhere now. Honestly Hong Kong Airlines and Hong Kong Express often are cheaper than Cathay Pacific and Dragonair in many leisure routes, so they are sort of considered a cheaper brand, and this transition sorts of makes sense. Hong Kong Airlines HX will remain focus on high yield routes to major Chinese cities like Xiamen, Shanghai and Beijing, as well as Taipei, Kaohsiung, Bangkok, and Bali, while UO will focus on the leisure routes. Hong Kong Express has initially taken over leisure routes to Kota Kinabalu, Phuket, Kunming, Taichung, and Chiang Mai, and also launches service to Seoul, Osaka Kansai, Fukuoka, Tokyo Haneda, and Penang. Busan, Nagoya, and Ningbo will start soon. It has recently finally taken two leased A320s specially designed for Hong Kong Express with a new livery and hopefully new seats. They are named after popular dim sum dishes in HK. I honestly have not much expectation, as the initial booking experience is a bit rudimentary, and compared to other LCCs, there are definitely much work that needs to be done. It has already improved somewhat now, but I can’t imagine a LCC with no web check-in function. The route that I have selected is from Taichung to Hong Kong, which involves a new airport. My initial impression is that it still reminds me too much of Hong Kong Airlines, and the whole LCC project is basically not completely thought out, and is a reactionary move to Jetstar Hong Kong possible launch, rather than a completely innovative re-invention of the airline, which is not always a good sign for a low cost airline.

Route Map:

July 17, 2014
    UO 183 RMQ-HKG Lv1410 Arr1545 Airbus A320-200 B-LPB

Booking:
    I usually don’t say too much about booking because most people know how to do it, especially those who read these trip reports. However for a LCC, your website needs to be really good, but most Asian airlines just don’t invest enough in a good IT team that sets up a perfect website. Most American and European LCCs have an amazing websites that you can do anything from purchasing various travel products to changing a ticket. Unfortunately Hong Kong Express website was pretty basic, especially when I booked this ticket in April. I was not able to buy an exit seat or pre-order any inflight product. Although I received an itinerary from UO after paying the ticket, I could not retrieve the e-ticket/reservation online, and I never received an electronic ticket receipt with ticket numbers. If I need to change this ticket, I have to call Hong Kong Express and pay a $100HKD contact center fee, but remember I have no option to do it myself online, so that is not too fair. However, UO tickets are fully changeable with a $350 fee + fare differences. If you purchase bag allowance, they can transfer those to your new ticket, but there is no route change permitted. Of course you must change before flights depart. That is why I feel that the launch is too rushed.

Just an addendum, I tried to book another ticket a couple weeks ago and UO offers some nice fares from ICN to HKG. The website has shown some improvement and you can now purchase seat assignment especially those in exit rows or express seats towards the front of the cabin that allow speedy deplaning. However, when I tried to pay the ticket, the website redirected me a Korean payment system that are not compatible to any web browser except Internet Explorer. I am a MacBook user and IE is no longer compatible with the new operation system, so I have to find other options in the end. It is obvious that Hong Kong Express does not use a central payment system, which is a loss for the airline. If people can’t pay for the tickets, how can they even fly the airline? How can you even charge people $100 contact center fee, when it is obvious issues with your website?

The cost of my ticket is $29 base fare + tax + 20kg baggage, which ends up to a total of $74.50. It is at least $50 cheaper than CI and $$$ cheaper than KA.

Checking-in:
    Taichung Ching Chuan Kang International Airport is surprisingly nice, as it is brand new. The airport itself is a joint military/commercial facility, but the commercial building is all the way on the other end of the airport, which is certainly designed that way, but taxi time will be a bit longer. However given the little traffic that this airport has, I am not sure if it is a major issue.

Nice International check-in hall

Hong Kong Express Check-in lines – please note that there is a separate line for passengers without check-in baggage, and China Airlines is UO’s handling agent here at Taichung.

The check-in experience was really pleasant and I am sure that China Airlines is part of the reason. These CI agents do not treat these UO flights as a LCC, and they even asked everyone if they needed a window or aisle seat. I immediately asked for these “sweet” seats.

The agent said, “of course, the cost will be $600TWD.” I paid cash and the agent issued me a hand-written receipt. For a LCC, this process should be more automated. Anyway, I got 1F and the agent tagged my bag.

FIDS

FIDS

Since there was nothing much to do, I went through immigration and security, which was not busy at all. I then walked around the relatively small terminal and got some reading materials since there was no entertainment on UO mono class A320s. I suddenly hear a page calling for me and immediately approached a CI agent at gate 3. They apparently see some battery materials in my small bag, and they need the code to open it. But the only possibly batteries stuffs are my shavers, electronic toothbrush, and my nose hair trimmer. I am surprised that they cannot even tell the difference between these relatively common objects from other batteries. No wonder that there are all these pages in the terminal throughout the day.

I used my priority pass to enter the MORE lounge in Taichung, which is a very basic lounge facility with limited non-alcoholic beverages and light snacks. There is congee with traditional Taiwanese side dishes, as well as sandwiches and sliced cakes. The lounge had three occupants (but there were three agents). Yet the agent stopped me from taking any photos, so I can’t share any here. But trust me you don’t miss out much. I will not pay $1000TWD for this lounge.

Children playing area

Plane-spotting:
    Domestic Apron – only international flights get jet bridges!

Far Eastern Transport (FAT) MD-80 B-28035 arriving at gate 5 – heading to Shizajuang

China Airlines B-18610 charter flight to Sapporo

Mandarin Airlines E-190 B-16821

Gate/Stand 3:

The inbound flight arrived on time from Hong Kong. B-LPB, which was a former Hong Kong Airlines plane, was in charge of this mission this afternoon. The plane was painted the same way, but with “Hong Kong Airlines” logo removed, and replaced by “Hong Kong Express” logo.

Comment

Boarding:

Boarding began at 1:42pm, and there was no particular order of boarding. Obviously handicapped & elderly passengers, and families with young children got to board first. I was among the first group to board the plane, as I want to snap some cabin shot. The F/As were greeting passengers, and their uniforms were actually fairly traditional, instead of the casual outfits that LCC carriers like to use.

My seat for today’s flight – 1F – I guess due to the short duration of the flight, not too many people were interested in the sweet seats. I was the only “sweet seat” passenger. You can also note that the “sweet” seats have a differet colored headrest cover, which is purple, instead of yellowish green.

Legroom for Row 1

Cabin shot prior to takeoff

Comment

The flight was pretty full with a total of 132 passengers and one infant. Door was closed at 2:02pm and we pushed back at 2:06pm.

View of the Taichung Airport Apron

Taxing to R/W36

We took off at 2:15pm. Gotta love this small regional airport!

Flying time was scheduled to be an hour and ten minutes, but we got put in an ATC hold later, which stretched our flying time to an hour and thirty-eight minutes. The routing was straightforward, as we flew towards Makung and then turned towards to Hong Kong. We stayed at 26,000feet and then climbed to 32,000feet later.

Seat in recline position

In-flight service
        As expected, Hong Kong Express does not offer any complimentary food and beverage items, and they are all buy-on-board. The F/A came around with a cart around 2:25pm. Here is a reminder that outside food & beverage is not allowed, but the F/A did not say anything about my bottled waters.

Menu

Comment

Payment: cash only if purchase below $100HKD, but credit cards are accepted if you purchase more than $100HKD food and beverage.

I decided to buy a dim sum platter for $70HKD, and a cup of Oolong tea was included in the price. The portion was a bit on the small side, but the quality was pretty good. It was comparable to what Cathay Pacific offered in business class breakfast.

After the buy on board service, there was a round of duty free service.

In-flight entertainment
          There was no entertainment of any sort – audio or video! But UO has an in-flight magazine.
          Magazines

Cabin shot after meal service

Exit rows – sweet seats and remember the purple colored headrest covers

Comment

For regular seats, the amount of seat pitch is 29-30 inches. When someone reclines the seats, they really eat up the legroom.

Just a quick word about those seats, they are exactly same type of seats used by Hong Kong Airlines. That’s the reason why I think UO rushes through the LCC concept. I just think UO really needs to differentiate itself from HX, or else passengers will be confused and have some expectations. These seats are nice because they are well padded but with a LCC type legroom, these seats can really reduce the amount of seat pitch.

Even these dividers are the same used by Hong Kong Airlines…

Decent soon began at 2:48pm but we were placed on a hold, due to weather and heavy traffic in and out of Hong Kong. We landed on R/W7L at 3:53pm and parked at Bay W122R five minutes later. Since I was in row one, I overhead the conversation between the ground staff and the purser regarding the bus situation. For 132 passengers, we were assigned two buses.

Farewell to Row 1F

B-LPB here at Bay W122R

Since I have check-in bags, the first bags came out at 4:20pm.

In conclusion, Hong Kong Express is still an airline in working, and I honestly will prefer a more proper launch or a more mature launch. Given how there are only two planes in the new livery, the brand is still not strong enough, which always determines if this airline will be successful. Everything in the cabin just reminds me of Hong Kong Airlines, and if this airline wants long-term success, it needs to have a stronger brand and differentiates further from HX, which will remain a traditional airline. It needs a younger brand with more energy. The website, however, remains under-developed, and without a fully functional website, Hong Kong Express will not be able to achieve lower costs. Hong Kong Express is also now selling “Express” seats – Row 2 to 5, but there is nothing inside the cabin that tells passengers that those seats cost extra money. There should be a different colored headrest or even “Express” seat signage. Anyway I personally will not hesitate to step onboard another Hong Kong Express airlines in the future and will definitely stick with those sweet seats.

Carfield

Comment

Working...
            X