Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tight connections with children

Hi all,

I've often made tight connections (60 min or less) at Changi, but it's a lot easier to do when you're always a solo traveller who knows Changi inside out.

My brother and his wife visit NGO often so my niece and nephew can spend time with their Japanese grandparents and she can meet up with old friends. My brother also loves Japan as much as I have come to. It's also my fault they've become big fans of flying SQ!

To me, connecting SQ208 with SQ672 is automatic as it's less time to wait around and I know I'll make it but they are worried about what would happen if there's a 30-40 min delay coming into SIN and they have to get themselves and a 6yo and a 3yo to a gate on the opposite side of Changi in 15 mins. (The 772s off SQ208 have a habit of heading to T2...)

Normally they opt for SQ228 so they have a longer layover, but that flight since it was downgauged to the 77W is becoming increasingly expensive and they are up for an extra $1.2k AU to use it for a booking 6 months away.

From those of you who know operations at Changi better than I, is this where SQ would identify a family with that connection and have a buggy ready to whisk them to the other gate, or that they might hold the doors on the NGO flight for 5 minutes for them?

Thanks in anticipation!

To be honest with you, i don't know about SQ's operation, but they seem rather lenient for problems caused by late arrival of the previous aircraft.

I used to connect from SQ226 to SQ968, but delay in Perth means that I arrived late. We ran from T3 to T2 and arrived 5 minutes before departure meaning the gate should be closed 5 mins before, and they still process our boarding passes (even advicing me not to run). Provided that it was the last flight of they day, that might be the reason of that wait.

I regularly connects between SQ951-SQ308 with 50-55 mins in between, and SQ951-SQ12 with slightly longer connecting time, and recently a one-off SQ967-SQ231 (even longer but tight). It was rather tight, but doable, but i do not recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
      Hi all,

I've often made tight connections (60 min or less) at Changi, but it's a lot easier to do when you're always a solo traveller who knows Changi inside out.

My brother and his wife visit NGO often so my niece and nephew can spend time with their Japanese grandparents and she can meet up with old friends. My brother also loves Japan as much as I have come to. It's also my fault they've become big fans of flying SQ!

To me, connecting SQ208 with SQ672 is automatic as it's less time to wait around and I know I'll make it but they are worried about what would happen if there's a 30-40 min delay coming into SIN and they have to get themselves and a 6yo and a 3yo to a gate on the opposite side of Changi in 15 mins. (The 772s off SQ208 have a habit of heading to T2...)

Normally they opt for SQ228 so they have a longer layover, but that flight since it was downgauged to the 77W is becoming increasingly expensive and they are up for an extra $1.2k AU to use it for a booking 6 months away.

From those of you who know operations at Changi better than I, is this where SQ would identify a family with that connection and have a buggy ready to whisk them to the other gate, or that they might hold the doors on the NGO flight for 5 minutes for them?

Thanks in anticipation!
      I have a young daughter and in the past with very tight connections due to late arrival, I've always had a buggy to send us to the next gate if its far (T2-T3 or vice-versa). Not had an intra terminal buggy ride before as usually we don't connect within the same terminal.

There was once aircraft was pretty late arriving into SIN and making the next flight was probably not possible, the staff set up tables outside the arrival gate to hand out pre-printed boarding passes for our re-booked flights.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by worldrally View Post
        I have a young daughter and in the past with very tight connections due to late arrival, I've always had a buggy to send us to the next gate if its far (T2-T3 or vice-versa). Not had an intra terminal buggy ride before as usually we don't connect within the same terminal.

There was once aircraft was pretty late arriving into SIN and making the next flight was probably not possible, the staff set up tables outside the arrival gate to hand out pre-printed boarding passes for our re-booked flights.

Hope this helps.
        Actually that's great to hear, thanks! If SQ208 arrives into T3 it's not too bad but something like E8 to A19 is hell. Have you spoken with cabin crew in those situations to let them know you need to get out in a hurry once landed?

Comment

Working...
        X