No announcement yet.

Brand new SQ A380 First Class Suites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the article and posting the backstory on the evolution of the Suites, djsflynn! Always fascinating to see the process from design to the actual product.

Originally posted by djsflynn View Post
    I honestly prefer the final JP treatment vs the delivered SQ version. My sensibilities lean more towards this Euro-design in the cleaner, structured lines and the overall palette, especially the use of taupe, caramel and brown. The SQ version seems a little more Asian (well, of course!) but also a little less streamlined and 'integrated', for want of a better word. Oh, and I love the blinds on the windows!
    Of course, tastes vary, but I actually prefer the delivered version to the overall JP concept (except for the large blinds which look great!). The JP design reminds me a tad of the LH SEN lounge/FCT look and feel. Perhaps a case of me being too familiar with LH as I am based in Europe.

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
    This is a seemingly minor flaw, but many people appear to find this to be quite an issue. On my one time flying in Suites I did find this a little awkward, but not enough to detract from a wonderful Suite experience overall.
    I agree yflyer. While the occasional unintentional eye contact across the aisle during meal service can be strange at first, I never found it impacting my enjoyment of the overall experience in the few flights I have had in them. That being said, I was fortunate to have had half-empty or empty cabins in half of my flights where it wasn't an issue.

Originally posted by djsflynn View Post
    I'm reminded of one major luxury hotel chain where, before a new hotel is built, they create full-size mockups of the rooms in a special location – right down to putting up massive photos of the actual view behind the mock window – and not only do they have the company CEO and execs and hotel managers and some other NDA-signing people spend a night in this room, they do room service dinner, they have turn-down and room-service breakfast, and they note everything such as brightness of the phones, manoeuvrability of the room service trolley around the room etc etc. Incredibly thorough!
    Given the step change the 2nd-gen Suites were from the earlier version and the experience SQ gained from developing them, I would hope (and it might appear likely from SMK77's comments) that SQ may be able to be as thorough as in your hotel example for the 777X iteration. They do have the additional time now due to you know what and 777X delay.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ777 View Post
      Of course, tastes vary, but I actually prefer the delivered version to the overall JP concept (except for the large blinds which look great!). The JP design reminds me a tad of the LH SEN lounge/FCT look and feel. Perhaps a case of me being too familiar with LH as I am based in Europe.
      Hahaha, that's bang on the money! I have a personal preference for clean Euro-style but yes, this also looks very 'LH lounge' and given your location, an Asian influence is probably a refreshing change!

Comment

Interestingly the companion dining option was let out of the in-suite concept in the JP design but re-accommodated in the 'lounge' area.

Has anyone actually tried companion dining in the actual product? Last time I flew they said they had a "stool" that they could set up for a companion but never seen it used. Seemed strange considering they would permit usage of a seat not affixed to the cabin floor...
        Fly well,
        Travel safe,
        And have a pleasant journey.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ747 View Post
          Interestingly the companion dining option was let out of the in-suite concept in the JP design but re-accommodated in the 'lounge' area.

Has anyone actually tried companion dining in the actual product? Last time I flew they said they had a "stool" that they could set up for a companion but never seen it used. Seemed strange considering they would permit usage of a seat not affixed to the cabin floor...
          I have not tried it myself but have seen it being used a couple of times....it does look a bit odd, which makes sense given that it was an afterthought by SQ based on feedback soon after launch of the new Suites.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ777 View Post
            I have not tried it myself but have seen it being used a couple of times....it does look a bit odd, which makes sense given that it was an afterthought by SQ based on feedback soon after launch of the new Suites.
            For reference, here is a pic of the stool used for companion dining...

Not the most luxurious seating, but probably the best that could be done given available storage space. I believe the stool(s) are stored in a storage compartment under the long bench inside one of the Suite bathrooms.

Comment

I believe the stool(s) are stored in a storage compartment under the long bench inside one of the Suite bathrooms.
              Yes, that's correct. I noticed a couple stored in the smaller of the two bathrooms. There is some storage space underneath the rather wide bench.

Comment

For reference, here is a pic of the stool used for companion dining...
                Not the most luxurious seating, but probably the best that could be done given available storage space. I believe the stool(s) are stored in a storage compartment under the long bench inside one of the Suite bathrooms.
                Thanks for sharing! Yes, looks a bit odd but makes sense given the after-market implementation.
                Fly well,
                Travel safe,
                And have a pleasant journey.

Comment

Working...
                X