Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
    jumbojet lover
    Cut out your post as I didn't want a long looking post.

Didn't really pay attention about they tickets to BRU already sold. good to know.

Just wondering if there is any political/legal reason to operate to BRU just so to maintain SQ's position in EU market since few posts above wonders about the toned down announcement. (just a harmless thought)

One thing good about this thing is that there is no need to train/drive/travel to Brussel from the nearest SQ destination to enjoy belgian frites
    Last edited by ponders; 19 December 2019, 05:34 PM. Reason: missing text

Comment

Originally posted by ponders View Post
      Just wondering if there is any political/legal reason to operate to BRU just so to maintain SQ's position in EU market since few posts above wonders about the toned down announcement. (just a harmless thought)
      Flying to BRU for political/legal reasons, and not economic, profit-driven reasons? Absolutely not, for SQ. The days of state-owned carriers flying 'prestige routes' or political routes are generally over. Aircraft are expensive assets and the airline operating environment is challenging. SQ doesn't have an endless pit of cash to start a route for non-economic reasons.

The toned-down announcement makes me think SQ believes that bookings will be strong and not in need of intense marketing. I almost forgot to mention that BRU is a cargo hub too - bellyhold cargo could possibly help drive profitability here. In that case SQ would be marketing to a different group instead.

Comment

Flying to BRU for political/legal reasons, and not economic, profit-driven reasons? Absolutely not, for SQ. The days of state-owned carriers flying 'prestige routes' or political routes are generally over. Aircraft are expensive assets and the airline operating environment is challenging. SQ doesn't have an endless pit of cash to start a route for non-economic reasons.

The toned-down announcement makes me think SQ believes that bookings will be strong and not in need of intense marketing. I almost forgot to mention that BRU is a cargo hub too - bellyhold cargo could possibly help drive profitability here. In that case SQ would be marketing to a different group instead.
        I was actually thinking the other way where Belgium/EU may pressure countries to serve certain cities (rather than getting their own airlines) for more EU-other parts of the world connection.

But you are right about BRU cargo hub.

Hope that one day SQ will serve a city in eastern Europe eventually.

Comment

SQ is already operating at least 3-4 weekly cargoes flight using 747 to BRU

As for the marketing wise, frankly speaking, how many paxes would book 11 months in advance ?

Comment

Originally posted by 259850 View Post
            I believe there was a SIN-BRU-MAN service in the early 2000s. I remember boarding a BRU-SIN flight in 2002 and bumping into my childhood neighbor who was returning from MAN.
            There was indeed. We have had quite a list of stopovers destinations over the years : BRU/ZRH/BOM/MUC.

Comment

Originally posted by sbs2716g View Post
              SQ is already operating at least 3-4 weekly cargoes flight using 747 to BRU

As for the marketing wise, frankly speaking, how many paxes would book 11 months in advance ?
              Yes I know about the dedicated freighter services, what I meant to say is that the pax A350 bellyhold cargo space could supplement the overall SQ cargo capabilities out of BRU, in terms of capacity and schedule flexibility, without adding another freighter flight. Although with the negative cargo market, supply might not be the issue.

If SQ only starts to market when most passengers are booking flights it might be too late and might not reach their intended target.

Comment

If SQ only starts to market when most passengers are booking flights it might be too late and might not reach their intended target.
                Correct. For leisure travel or last minute business then it's not so important, but people attending conventions, conferences and trade fairs book things with very long lead times and that's important to filling a bunch of J seats. With Y seats, tour companies often sell packages well in advance of 12 months and then buy the seats as a block once they become available or through contracts presumably. It could be a useful port for tours targeted at Asian and Australian tourists to begin or end their tour at given AMS is fairly congested at peak travel times, but of course they would be marketed directly.

Comment

Just heard BRU inaugural on 25/10 has been cancelled..... anyone can confirm?

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                    Just heard BRU inaugural on 25/10 has been cancelled..... anyone can confirm?
                    Yes the entire route has been cancelled.

Originally the airline started selling only full-fare tickets in each cabin for the northern winter season (a typical precursor to a route being pulled), but normal fare structure returned from summer 2021.

That’s suggested the launch was being provisionally shifted but now the whole route is gone.

Not too surprising given the current climate.

Comment

Working...
                    X