Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand new SQ A380 First Class Suites?

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...class-concepts

Finally is the time to compare with EK, QR and EY.

But no sure if they bring in bathing facilities this time round?

Just to clarify, and as I thought was fairly clear in the article, these are not concepts for some third-gen SQ A380 Suites beyond what we currently have – these are concepts for the second-gen suites already flying.

Comment

777-9X will have a new suite design

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger777 View Post
        777-9X will have a new suite design
        Quite so, SQ plans new F and J for the 777X.

Comment

The article has no value-add two years after the second-gen Suites have been launched and is irritating at best.

First Class for the 777X will have a complete new thinking and philosophy and there is not a single clue in what the product will be looking like by going through the article.

The new First Class and Business Class will be addressing a lot of the concerns some people have regarding the current products and I think they are both nothing short of stunning - and I have seen and tested both (at least in the most current mock-up).

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
            The article has no value-add two years after the second-gen Suites have been launched and is irritating at best.

First Class for the 777X will have a complete new thinking and philosophy and there is not a single clue in what the product will be looking like by going through the article.

The new First Class and Business Class will be addressing a lot of the concerns some people have regarding the current products and I think they are both nothing short of stunning - and I have seen and tested both (at least in the most current mock-up).
            It's a retrospective view of the second-gen Suites' development. It didn't proudly proclaim to have insider knowledge about the 777X product nor did it present the information in an irritating way. Quite the opposite, IMHO

Comment

The article doesn't reference SQ's plans for 777X cabins so I don't see any issue with it.

I've seen the renderings of the entryway and private dining area, but the article is the first time I've seen the renderings of the Suites themselves as proposed by Jacques Pierrejean. I think it's interesting to compare the rendering/concept and compare it to the final product, though the timing of releasing this is odd. Could SQ have had a hand in embargoing public release of initial cabin renderings until recently?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
                The article doesn't reference SQ's plans for 777X cabins so I don't see any issue with it.

I've seen the renderings of the entryway and private dining area, but the article is the first time I've seen the renderings of the Suites themselves as proposed by Jacques Pierrejean. I think it's interesting to compare the rendering/concept and compare it to the final product, though the timing of releasing this is odd. Could SQ have had a hand in embargoing public release of initial cabin renderings until recently?
                No, SQ had naught to do with this, we obtained the pictures from JP studios.

And yes, like you and as a design fan myself, I found it quite interesting to see how the concept progressed.

The very first images were intended to more 'inspirational' than practical and play up the idea of 'the A380 as a hotel' – although EY was arguably first with that approach: Residence, Apartment first class suites, 'Lobby' bar/lounge area, 'Studio' business class seats, and a lot of other touches in how you enter the A380.
                Last edited by djsflynn; 5 June 2020, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Hi SMK77 – you're quite right in that these images were directly related to the second-gen A380, and not connected to the 777X at all

Comment

Originally posted by djsflynn View Post
                    No, SQ had naught to do with this, we obtained the pictures from JP studios.

And yes, like you and as a design fan myself, I found it quite interesting to see how the concept progressed.

The very first images were intended to more 'inspirational' than practical and play up the idea of 'the A380 as a hotel' – although EY was arguably first with that approach, cv Residence, Apartment first class suites, 'Lobby' bar/lounge area, 'Studio' business class seats, and a lot of other touches in how you enter the A380.
                    I love that internally it was referred to as the "Skyroom" - whereas SQ's last 747 First Class seat was dubbed the "SkySuite"! If only SQ still named their hard products with such creativity...

As a design fan, what are you thoughts on the visual of the "Skyroom" vs. the final product?

Comment

Thanks for sharing, djsflynn!

The finished product for SQ's 2nd gen suites do look very similar to the concept designs by Jacques Pierrejean. Nice to see the progression from concept to final design.

I am sure they mocked up the suite designs for testing prior to launch, but I am guessing they didn't mock up the entire cabin and test the full meal service. If they did, they would have realized the one flaw: that diners in opposite suites eyeball each other awkwardly at meal service.

This is a seemingly minor flaw, but many people appear to find this to be quite an issue. On my one time flying in Suites I did find this a little awkward, but not enough to detract from a wonderful Suite experience overall.

Comment

I love that internally it was referred to as the "Skyroom" - whereas SQ's last 747 First Class seat was dubbed the "SkySuite"! If only SQ still named their hard products with such creativity...
                        That's right, I overlooked the SkySuite naming - I remain surprised that SQ didn't go all-out with Skyroom in PR, especially as they went to the trouble to create Skyroom seat covers which dress the seat during production – see pic below:

(This comes from an article we did ahead of the A380 delivery flight from Toulouse, where we saw one of the new first class suites being assembled: https://www.executivetraveller.com/c...t-class-suites)

As a design fan, what are you thoughts on the visual of the "Skyroom" vs. the final product?
                        For quick reference, here are both side-by-side...

I honestly prefer the final JP treatment vs the delivered SQ version. My sensibilities lean more towards this Euro-design in the cleaner, structured lines and the overall palette, especially the use of taupe, caramel and brown. The SQ version seems a little more Asian (well, of course!) but also a little less streamlined and 'integrated', for want of a better word. Oh, and I love the blinds on the windows!
                        Last edited by djsflynn; 8 June 2020, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                          Thanks for sharing, djsflynn!

The finished product for SQ's 2nd gen suites do look very similar to the concept designs by Jacques Pierrejean. Nice to see the progression from concept to final design.

I am sure they mocked up the suite designs for testing prior to launch, but I am guessing they didn't mock up the entire cabin and test the full meal service. If they did, they would have realized the one flaw: that diners in opposite suites eyeball each other awkwardly at meal service.

This is a seemingly minor flaw, but many people appear to find this to be quite an issue. On my one time flying in Suites I did find this a little awkward, but not enough to detract from a wonderful Suite experience overall.
                          I would tend to agree, unless they did a full mockup or at least a two-suite-facing-mockup and
                          a) didn't notice this, or
                          b) noticed it but thought "This is why we have sliding doors".

I'm reminded of one major luxury hotel chain where, before a new hotel is built, they create full-size mockups of the rooms in a special location – right down to putting up massive photos of the actual view behind the mock window – and not only do they have the company CEO and execs and hotel managers and some other NDA-signing people spend a night in this room, they do room service dinner, they have turn-down and room-service breakfast, and they note everything such as brightness of the phones, manoeuvrability of the room service trolley around the room etc etc. Incredibly thorough!

Comment

Originally posted by djsflynn View Post
                            That's right, I overlooked the SkySuite naming - I remain surprised that SQ didn't go all-out with Skyroom in PR, especially as they went to the trouble to create Skyroom seat covers which dress the seat during production – see pic below:

(This comes from an article we did ahead of the A380 delivery flight from Toulouse, where we saw one of the new first class suites being assembled: https://www.executivetraveller.com/c...t-class-suites)

I honestly prefer the final JP treatment vs the delivered SQ version. My sensibilities lean more towards this Euro-design in the cleaner, structured lines and the overall palette, especially the use of taupe, caramel and brown. The SQ version seems a little more Asian (well, of course!) but also a little less streamlined and 'integrated', for want of a better word. Oh, and I love the blinds on the windows!
                            Thanks for sharing! I don't think Skyroom was SQ-sanctioned branding. Rather, it was an internal designation by the designer/manufacturer. That seat cover does have Zodiac's logo on it. SQ probably had a nondescript designation like 'Suites Mk II'
                            Sadly, SQ moved away from uniquely branding most hard products in 2006, with the unfortunate disappearance of names like "Raffles Class" and "Megatop".

Agreed on the end product having more of an Asian/Singaporean feel to it. Hope to experience this product some day to judge for myself in-person!

Comment

I don't think Skyroom was SQ-sanctioned branding. Rather, it was an internal designation by the designer/manufacturer. That seat cover does have Zodiac's logo on it.
                              Ah, that makes sense too – yes, it may have been a project name adopted during this process and putting it on the seat covers could have been a proud final flourish.

Comment

Working...
                              X