Kai Tak Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kai Tak Question

Not sure if this is the right place for this question , however , would any of the old hands here know anything about rwy 31 takeoffs at Kai Tak ?
    This is what Wikipedia says on rwy 31 :
    Runway 31 departure
    When lined up for takeoff on runway 31, Lion Rock and Mt. Parker would be right in front of the aircraft. The aircraft had to make a sharp 65-degree left turn soon after takeoff to avoid the hills (a reverse of what landing traffic would do on Runway 13).
    Does anyone know of a video clip or photos somewhere on a rwy 31 takeoff - surely must have been spectacular .
    Last edited by aviwil; 28 July 2009, 08:35 PM.

I had one in 1988 (was thrilled!) - but it was a rarity. Memories of Kai Tak usually stem from the 13 IGS approach.

Comment

Here's a landing seen from the cockpit:

CLICK "I AGREE" TO WATCH THE VIDEO

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
      No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
      I AGREE

And here's a notorious KE landing (when they broke lots of rules AIUI):

CLICK "I AGREE" TO WATCH THE VIDEO

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
      No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
      I AGREE

Comment

My only Kai Tak landing and take off were both from rwy 31 on SQ1 (SFO-HKG-SIN) in Dec 1988. It was a sharp turn after takeoff. Never got the chance to experience rwy 13. I remember Hong Kongers (I think) clapping when we landed on rwy 31. Was this normal practice during Kai Tak landings?

Comment

You're talking about the same runway - 13/31.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            You're talking about the same runway - 13/31.
            What I meant was I did not experience the rwy 13 checkboard landing and rwy 13 take off. My only experiences were both these in reverse.
            Last edited by SQKevin; 30 July 2009, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Crikey... puts Schumacher to shame

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone , and the video clips jhm . SQflyergirl and SQKevin - did you have a window seat for these takeoffs ? If so ,which ?

Comment

I had a window seat on the right side of the aircraft in Y. Too long ago to remember the exact seat number but, it was seat K in the old 747-300. I had a good view of Kowloon and took 3 photos, I think. Still have them in print, no digital copies in those days.

Comment

I was living in HK from late '94 so saw the change over to the new airport etc. as well and in all my flights, and all my time there I never once took off or landed towards the mountain. Must have been quite rare maybe?

I had quite a few window seats cause even back then i was member with the Exec.Club etc. and got advanced choice so had the great, what everybody talks about, views coming in over Kowloon City........ but never a camera.

Comment

Originally posted by aviwil View Post
                      Thanks for the replies everyone , and the video clips jhm . SQflyergirl and SQKevin - did you have a window seat for these takeoffs ? If so ,which ?
                      I had a seat on the right hand side. It was an MH A300 (we're going all the way back to 1988 or so here )

Comment

I did a lot of TPE-HKG-SHA vv runs in the mid 90s. Have done takeoffs in both directions during that period, usually on CI, MU, or KA.
                        Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Thanks all . SQKevin - any chance of you scanning those pics for all us fans ?

Comment

Here's a pic provided by my brother :
                            after landing on 13, the ML B-707 turned around and came back along the same runway before branching off onto the apron and a parking spot near the terminal - Dec '69 .
                            ML is the former Malaysian Singaore Airlines .

Well after viewing this , see the pic didn't come through - sorry .

Comment

Originally posted by aviwil View Post
                              Thanks all . SQKevin - any chance of you scanning those pics for all us fans ?
                              My apologies for the late response. I have 4 photos: 1 on final approach to runway 31, 1 of the apron from my seat, 1 on take off on runway 31 and 1 over Kowloon.

I don't have a scanner and am quite busy at the moment, so it will be some time before I can pose them on this forum. Will try my best, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X