*A RTWs reduced to 16 segments and related major changes, wef May 1 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *A RTWs reduced to 16 segments and related major changes, wef May 1 2008

The fare rules don't seem to be updated, but someone on TOF's *A board posted a note from AC RTW desk to this effect.

Originally posted by ulyparis
    Please note effective May01/08 the Star Alliance Web-site will no longer be processing itineraries longer than 16 segments which would include surface segments. Should your itinerary work out to be more than 16 segments please have your request submitted prior to the 30th of April. Allow enough time for all airline confirmations to come thru (48hours) and your reservation must be paid and ticketed prior to end of business day on the 30th of April.
    Thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809979

That's a full month before the IATA eticketing mandate kicks in.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

wasn't there talk of been able to split a PNR to allow more segments? Looks like thats not going to be an option
    matt_will_fix_it

Comment

Originally posted by matt_will_fix_it View Post
      wasn't there talk of been able to split a PNR to allow more segments? Looks like thats not going to be an option
      IATA is also mandating all airlines to have the linked PNR capability, and many already do. This theoretically means you can have an eticket that's arbitrarily long, split into 16 segment PNRs.

Even without linked PNR, there are ways and means to get around mandatory eticketing without cutting segment allowance. One which is commonly done on the oneworld board is to issue the ticket with just 16 segments, then 'restore' the excess flights and reissue the ticket after you've flown a few flights. By ensuring that the ticket isn't more than 16 segments each time it is eticketable at all times. You get hit with the reissue fee but some people would rather pay that than have to use paper tix. YMMV.

So the more cynical would suggest that this is merely a cost cutting attempt by the airlines/alliances under the guise of the IATA mandate.
      Last edited by KeithMEL; 16 April 2008, 09:52 PM.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Thread here on TOF confirming the change, and a few other changes:
        http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=815351

Comment

Working...
        X