Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KFEG when travelling with a non-KFEG

Thought some more experienced people with spouses could advise me here:

1. If you have a travelling partner who doesn't have status, is merging the two bookings required so that they can check in, join priority queues and board early with you? (We currently have separate bookings but all flights are identical on both bookings.)

2. Assuming the above is correct, or even if I just want to have us paired for seating, is the best way to have this looked after to call the special KFEG number, or would I be better off just calling the standard Australian line?

Any tips appreciated. I'm normally always flying solo, so assume I know nothing about this!

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
    Thought some more experienced people with spouses could advise me here:

1. If you have a travelling partner who doesn't have status, is merging the two bookings required so that they can check in, join priority queues and board early with you? (We currently have separate bookings but all flights are identical on both bookings.)

2. Assuming the above is correct, or even if I just want to have us paired for seating, is the best way to have this looked after to call the special KFEG number, or would I be better off just calling the standard Australian line?

Any tips appreciated. I'm normally always flying solo, so assume I know nothing about this!
    Hi SQ228!

When I travel with the spouse (i.e. Mrs yflyer) on SQ, she is often on a different PNR as a non-FF pax. As long as she is together with me at time of check-in or boarding, I've had no issue with checking in together with her at the priority check in counters for Gold / Business. All our luggage is tagged with priority tags too.

Similarly at the boarding date, we pre-board together as well.

We've not had issues doing this on SQ, or even on Star Alliance partners including UA in North America. This same approach has worked when I travel as the only KFEG in a family party where the others are non-FF status.

Not sure how this will play out if there is a specific express pass required to access priority immigration (In Australia, for example), but there is no harm asking if they will give you an extra express pass (Or maybe all you need is one pass for the whole party. Not sure about that part.).

As KFEG/*G you can also guest another member into the lounge as long as he/she is also flying SQ the same day (No requirement to be on the same PNR.)

As far as online seat selection is concerned, it is best to combine the PNRs into a single res, and check-in online together, or select all seats together, as non status pax on SQ see fewer open seats than KFEG/PPS on the online system. You may need to wait till 96 hrs before flight time to select seats online, as more seats open up for selection around that time. [**Update: It is unlikely to be possible to combine PNR's, although it may be possible to "link" them so that some indication is made to the reservations that the people in each PNR are travelling together. This probably won't help with online seat selection, though.]
    Last edited by yflyer; 13 June 2017, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
      Hi SQ228!

When I travel with the spouse (i.e. Mrs yflyer) on SQ, she is often on a different PNR as a non-FF pax. As long as she is together with me at time of check-in or boarding, I've had no issue with checking in together with her at the priority check in counters for Gold / Business. All our luggage is tagged with priority tags too.

Similarly at the boarding date, we pre-board together as well.

We've not had issues doing this on SQ, or even on Star Alliance partners including UA in North America. This same approach has worked when I travel as the only KFEG in a family party where the others are non-FF status.

Not sure how this will play out if there is a specific express pass required to access priority immigration (In Australia, for example), but there is no harm asking if they will give you an extra express pass (Or maybe all you need is one pass for the whole party. Not sure about that part.).

As KFEG/*G you can also guest another member into the lounge as long as he/she is also flying SQ the same day (No requirement to be on the same PNR.)

As far as online seat selection is concerned, it is best to combine the PNRs into a single res, and check-in online together, or select all seats together, as non status pax on SQ see fewer open seats than KFEG/PPS on the online system. You may need to wait till 96 hrs before flight time to select seats online, as more seats open up for selection around that time.
      Just as a data point to confirm what yflyer has said. I'm QPPS, and I usually travel alone for work. Partner is statusless. He sometimes comes along when I am on a business trip, in which case I'd usually redeem a seat in J/Y for him. Preferred seat selection (discussed elsewhere: e.g. ability to pick first few rows in Y, see the seat map prior to T-96, etc) is not available for him unless I am under the same PNR, even though the miles came from my account. Ringing the call centre to override this doesn't always work -- they will make nice noises but usually nothing is or can be done. SQ does honour things like priority waitlist clearing, though, especially if I am on a paid reservation on the same flight. So the transfer of privileges is inconsistent at best. But other things that involve face-to-face interaction, like priority check in and baggage tags, work ok. If you ask nicely, the onboard crew will provide express passes.

Comment

For priority boarding, I had even on occasions met friends at gate and he/she joined me to get in first....

I had once travelled with 5 other friends on TG on different tickets, they all boarded with me, no problems...
        This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

That's because you're TG Plat!

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
            Lol
            God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
              It's also because he's the Kapitan!

Thanks for all of your advice yflyer, cowie & kapitan

I knew lounges weren't an issue but wasn't sure about the rest. As the flights we are on will be very full, I might phone and just get them to connect the bookings for seating purposes only. We had chosen neighbouring seats originally but there's been an equipment change for all but one of our 4 flights since we made the bookings. I had two bookings associated once before on a flight so that we would be seated together, but I know that can be less than certain.

I've never had any luck with anything more than 48 hours prior with seat selection unblocking on the website, but I'll give it a go at the 96h-mark. If I get more choices of seats as a KFEG, it must really be bad for non-status passengers!

Comment

Originally posted by cowie View Post
                Just as a data point to confirm what yflyer has said. I'm QPPS, and I usually travel alone for work. Partner is statusless. He sometimes comes along when I am on a business trip, in which case I'd usually redeem a seat in J/Y for him. Preferred seat selection (discussed elsewhere: e.g. ability to pick first few rows in Y, see the seat map prior to T-96, etc) is not available for him unless I am under the same PNR, even though the miles came from my account. Ringing the call centre to override this doesn't always work -- they will make nice noises but usually nothing is or can be done. SQ does honour things like priority waitlist clearing, though, especially if I am on a paid reservation on the same flight. So the transfer of privileges is inconsistent at best. But other things that involve face-to-face interaction, like priority check in and baggage tags, work ok. If you ask nicely, the onboard crew will provide express passes.
                I can confirm that at T-96 I am able to see more seats now as a KFEG. Partner's booking on different PNR doesn't show any of them. Fortunately when the two flights we are on that were converted to A350 were reseated, they kept the rows together by default and we are seated together for all of our flights, which is good as I can't move him, only me. The Y rows up the front do look tempting, but it's a basinett fest in an A380 lower deck around that area, so no...

We have no need for express passes on return to MEL as the express lane is pointless for anyone with an Australian e-Passport as the auto-gates are so much quicker than the express queue.

Has anyone ever used an express border control lane at ZRH? I can't remember ever having seen one, but there was an announcement recently about more express lanes for *A Gold being set up.

Comment

We have no need for express passes on return to MEL as the express lane is pointless for anyone with an Australian e-Passport as the auto-gates are so much quicker than the express queue.
                  A bit off topic, but yes those auto-gates are a godsend. When I was doing my post-grad in Melbourne back in the early 2000s, it used to take an hour on a good day to clear customs and immigration. Travelled to SYD last week, was kerbside in 8 minutes flat (no checked bags, SG passport). If anyone wants an unused express pass, drop me a PM ;-)

Comment

We arrived at the airport just an hour ago to find that I had been upgraded to PEY and thus we were no longer together on the flight to SIN. I declined and said not unless we were both upgraded. Agent and I shared a laugh at that idea! Supervisor came over and found the only way to seat us together was to upgrade us both and promptly did so! We have now had our bookings linked, so no more surprise upgrades for me...

I guess I will now have to trip report on Emex row A350 PEY!

Comment

We arrived at the airport just an hour ago to find that I had been upgraded to PEY and thus we were no longer together on the flight to SIN. I declined and said not unless we were both upgraded. Agent and I shared a laugh at that idea! Supervisor came over and found the only way to seat us together was to upgrade us both and promptly did so! We have now had our bookings linked, so no more surprise upgrades for me...
                      That's brilliant, SQ228! Enjoy your flight!

I guess I will now have to trip report on Emex row A350 PEY!
                      Yes, please...

Comment

Working...
                      X