No announcement yet.

Confirmed : SQ to start flights to DUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SQ326 has had sluggish loads since it was introduced. But without SQ326 there is no SQ325. The evening departure out of FRA is quite popular and sees much better loads. I would reckon if SQ would cut that flight, they would would loose quite some customers to LH and other European airlines.
    Connections from SQ326 are actually not to bad. Provided that Inbound flight is on time, its actually still quite good to connect.

I guess SQ306 has a similar problem with the loads?

Comment

Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
      Why not SIN-ARN-OSL? I think this enable the like minded countries and cultures being on the same route to Singapore, with a short hop and they are in Samui or Phuket. Wouldn't that will be more attractive?
      This might be the better option, even I think it is getting a bit crowded in OSL. TG has 6 flights per week plus EK and QR with a daily.

IMHO SQ has a disadvantage with their hub being too far south compare to TG and ME3. That is limiting their ability to offer an attractive network out of europe. And leisure travelers tend to be more price sensitive and SQ has also a disadvantage there.

Comment

Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
        Well. I wonder whether the low loading of SQ326 is due to the following factors:

1. Connectivity with Australian flights: SQ212 cannot connect SQ326, which is a big con. Whilst SQ 218 and SQ 246 passengers will need to wait for half a day to connect with this flight which makes it unpopular.

2. Connectivity with European flights: When SQ326 arrives in Europe it is already 8pm. Plus at least 1-2 hours time to clear customs and transfer, what kind of European flights can it connect to without arriving my final destination close to midnight local time, or I would be forced to stay at FRA overnight?

Therefore if SQ doesn't want SQ326 to continue struggling, they should make the departure time earlier to accommodate more European connections.

Adding VIE will undoubtedly lure away some connecting passengers at FRA, however, I think VIE has excellent land transport connections that is suitable for either a Red Eye or Morning or early afternoon departure from Singapore.

(Of course this needs to take into consideration of Australian and NZ flight arrival times since any European service ex-SIN will be dead without AU, NZ, MY and HK passengers connecting through Singapore.
        SQ326 and 318 are for those who dislike redeye flights to Europe. I can't sleep at all in redeye which makes the flight rather edgy. After it landed, i would stayed at airport hotel for night and timing was right, 9pm+ for a sleep after 12 to 13 hours flight. Transit on the next day and the journeys were more comfortable. 12 hours loss wasn't a big deal...

Comment

SQ are adding an additional flight each week to DUS, from airline route

Singapore Airlines in last week’s schedule update moved forward planned service increase on Singapore – Dusseldorf route, previously scheduled to commence from 28OCT18. The 4th weekly flight, departing Singapore on Tuesdays, will now commence on 27MAR18, on board Airbus A350-900XWB.

Comment

Originally posted by brissypete View Post
            SQ are adding an additional flight each week to DUS, from airline route
            Interesting news!

Possibly CX's exit from DUS might be helping this, although certainly the back of the plane has been doing well on most flights I've been on. Not so sure about the front.

Comment

Good news for DUS. Good to see SQ competing on a "thinner" European route and being able to add frequency.

Comment

Honestly a bit of a surprise.

The loads are still quite challenging for SQ. DUS-SIN reported 54%, 62%, 89%, 73% from Jun to Aug respectively. DUS-HKG reported between 88.6% to 98.6% during the same period, but despite high loadfactor CX still opted to give up.

Comment

Here's something quite bizarre as I have never come across this before:

Thought I would check some MEL-DUS return fares for the end of this year with a return in January 2019. On all days I selected, the cheapest airfare returning from DUS-MEL was not on the direct DUS-SIN flight SQ337, but instead to be flown on LH to FRA and be placed on SQ25 through to SIN. The flight from MEL-SIN was exactly the same in each instance between the two options. Each time the direct SQ337 option was around $100 extra.

How can a supposedly struggling direct flight from DUS-SIN be commanding a higher price than SQ paying LH to ferry me to FRA in order to put me on SQ25?
                  Is SQ25 really doing so badly that they need to prop it up like this? Or just one of those mysteries of a booking database...

Anytime in the past I have booked ex-Europe, I've never, ever seen a lower fare involving codeshares as opposed to all-SQ flights.

Comment

I'd expect some changes to SQ25/26 when the non-stop service to JFK/EWR commences.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dobbo View Post
                      I'd expect some changes to SQ25/26 when the non-stop service to JFK/EWR commences.
                      Yes, I'd agree, although if they plan to reduce it to 77W, filling it with extra passengers at a lower yield seems odd. I'd have thought they would much prefer I take their direct DUS flight. Maybe some odd information is currently in the database as various flights are altered as decisions are made and this is generating unexpected results.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                        Yes, I'd agree, although if they plan to reduce it to 77W, filling it with extra passengers at a lower yield seems odd. I'd have thought they would much prefer I take their direct DUS flight. Maybe some odd information is currently in the database as various flights are altered as decisions are made and this is generating unexpected results.
                        I don't know the split of traffic between SIN-FRA; SIN-JFK; and FRA-JFK, but that might provide some clues in the next move.

Clearly FRA is one of SQs most important markets in Europe, but it can't help having 2x A380s flying SIN-FRA about 10 minutes apart (SQ and LH) which may partly explain the cheap seats. On its own, I'm not sure what a B77W would do to change this dynamic.

Likewise, New York is a massive market for SQ, and I expect a one-stop service to remain operating in conjunction with the non-stop. However, there is no reason why this should be via FRA. Yes, SIN-FRA-JFK are three global financial centres, and you would expect decent demand, but if these markets are oversupplied, the fare box and yield will likely suffer.

I think the most likely outcome is a down gauge to B77W, but I'd not be shocked if there is a wider rethink on how SQ can serve NYC on a one stop basis to be imprinted in parallel to the new nonstop service.

Comment

• I think the inclusion of DUS in the Spontaneous Escape promotion is having an effect on increasing load on the flight.

On the seat map for SQ338 on 31st May, not counting the blocked row 11 and 19, only 4 seats remain available for selection.

Comment

• Loadfactor for Jan-Mar 2018:

SIN-DUS 70.4%
                            DUS-SIN 71.4%

Comment

• SQ's super-smart revenue management discounts DUS-SIN down to 3,000 SGD return in Biz but excludes HKG in that offer. Out of HKG, no special fares to DUS. Better to hand out to people redeeming miles...

On the other hand, SQ refuses to clear my own PPS waitlist for Spontaneous Escapes from PVG to SIN in Biz with 50 seats unsold on an A380. Comment: We only release certain inventory... Go figure!

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
                                Loadfactor for Jan-Mar 2018:

SIN-DUS 70.4%
                                DUS-SIN 71.4%
                                Any idea how this compares to MUC and FRA load factors?

Comment

Working...
                                X