Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQ SIN-LHR/CDG-SIN in Y: Concorde Spotting, Ibis Hotels, and Runs in Reading and CDG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by banoffi View Post
    great trip report! really enjoyed reading (haha.. pun not intended) it, partly cos it gives me a preview as to what to expect for my upcoming trip!

I am also flying SIN-LHR, then CDG-SIN. After reading this report, I went to check if I had chosen a seat on the right side of the plane for SQ306, and i did! Looking forward to those views, as it's my first time going to London.
    Hi banoffi! Yes please do snag a seat on the right hand side of the plane but do note that it's also dependent on your luck of the draw with the prevailing winds on that day into LHR.

Most of the time it is 27L/R in ops which would give you the lovely scenic S-shaped approach path into Heathrow but there are days where it'd be 09L/R in ops where you wouldn't really see any of the city at all on approach. Nevertheless, Windsor Castle will be the one you can look out for if its the 09s pattern!

Have a good visit!!

Comment

Originally posted by banoffi View Post
      great trip report! really enjoyed reading (haha.. pun not intended) it, partly cos it gives me a preview as to what to expect for my upcoming trip!

I am also flying SIN-LHR, then CDG-SIN. After reading this report, I went to check if I had chosen a seat on the right side of the plane for SQ306, and i did! Looking forward to those views, as it's my first time going to London.
      Thanks, banoffi! Sounds like you have a great trip coming up! As wdranne has also mentioned, sometimes the approach is from the other direction (i.e. 09L/R), if that happens, look out for Windsor Castle. (As an old joke goes: why they built a castle directly under the flight path of a busy airport is anyone's guess... )

Originally posted by loldude333 View Post
      My own SQ318 experience matches yours, though I was in the 2006 F, so clearly we're talking more timings and schedule than hard/soft product.
      Not many better ways to experience SQ F than on a SIN-LHR sector like SQ318!

Not sure if this experience is exclusive to me, but it seems to fit the general consensus that eastbound jetlag is a lot tricker to adjust to than westbound.
      I think that is the general consensus. Westbound is not too different from staying up later than usual before sleeping -- something people do quite often, whereas eastbound means falling asleep "on demand" at times earlier than usual, which most people find difficult...

Anyway, loved the TR. So detailed and helpful. I'll be doing SIN-KUL-LHR in MH Y in early July. Will strive to do a TR as helpful as yours.
      Thanks, loldude333! Look forward to the MH TR!

Originally posted by wdranne View Post
      Most of the time it is 27L/R in ops which would give you the lovely scenic S-shaped approach path into Heathrow
      I hadn't realized it was an almost perfectly S-shaped approach until you mentioned it, wdranne!

Here is a screengrab of SQ 318's final approach into LHR from two days ago (Courtesy of flightradar24.com)...

Last edited by yflyer; 16 May 2017, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Wow! So many pics, yflyer! Great job again.

There are two countries that I find the landscape quite mesmerizing. The first is Afghanistan and the second is Greenland.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
          Wow! So many pics, yflyer! Great job again.
          Thanks, CarbonMan!

There are two countries that I find the landscape quite mesmerizing. The first is Afghanistan and the second is Greenland.
          Which flights go over Greenland? Is it mainly flights to New York from Asia, or those which use the polar route?

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
            Thanks, CarbonMan!

Which flights go over Greenland? Is it mainly flights to New York from Asia, or those which use the polar route?
            Mainly Europe to US transatlantic flights. But also company flight ops dept policy dependent. New York from Asia typically will route over the Pacific Ocean to take advantage of the prevailing easterly jet streams whereas the return from New York is distance-dependent; for eg. New York to Hong Kong is a Polar route whereas New York to Taipei isn't.

All in all, a lot of factors come into play in determining the published North Atlantic tracks for the day based on the conditions of the day. Also others such as company flight planning policy and aircraft type or even whether any non-MEL equipment is u/s.

DME-IAH vv used to be a Greenland crossing, but not anymore with MAN-IAH which takes a far southerly routing, as does FRA-JFK.

Comment

Mainly Europe to US transatlantic flights. But also company flight ops dept policy dependent. New York from Asia typically will route over the Pacific Ocean to take advantage of the prevailing easterly jet streams whereas the return from New York is distance-dependent; for eg. New York to Hong Kong is a Polar route whereas New York to Taipei isn't.

All in all, a lot of factors come into play in determining the published North Atlantic tracks for the day based on the conditions of the day. Also others such as company flight planning policy and aircraft type or even whether any non-MEL equipment is u/s.

DME-IAH vv used to be a Greenland crossing, but not anymore with MAN-IAH which takes a far southerly routing, as does FRA-JFK.
              Thanks wdranne! Very useful info. A recent HEL-JFK I did on AY flew just south of Greenland without crossing over Greenland itself, although we did fly over Iceland.

Comment

Great TA as usual.

Back when I was living in UK, I would always choose the daytime flights for the approaches into London, and it's always fun pointing out landmarks that I know, including my own apartment. My personal preference is SQ308 so that I get in by around 3pm, and can get some things done before nightfall.

For LHR-SIN, it's always SQ319 for me (hence my handle), as I find the load for this flight is generally lighter than the rest, and it gets me back in the afternoon, so I can stay up for a bit after I land in SIN and fall asleep at SIN timings to beat the jet lag.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ319 View Post
                  Great TA as usual.

Back when I was living in UK, I would always choose the daytime flights for the approaches into London, and it's always fun pointing out landmarks that I know, including my own apartment..
                  Thanks, SQ319! I love flying over Singapore for the same reason: I try to spot familiar landmarks from the air. My one regret is that I am always either landing or taking off from Changi, and will almost never get the opportunity to see the island from cruising altitude...

Comment

SQ61/62 when it was flying via DME. Not sure if the current MAN transit would do that (haven't done that flight). The non-stop EWR-SIN also overflew Greenland when tail winds justified flying via Europe rather than the shorter polar route, but it was over night so can't see much if at all.

Comment

The non-stop EWR-SIN also overflew Greenland when tail winds justified flying via Europe rather than the shorter polar route, but it was over night so can't see much if at all.
                      There was some amazing scenery on the SIN-EWR daytime sector, when I flew back when it was exec economy on the A345. Spectacular views of mountains, snow, ice and glaciers etc. Can't remember which continent or land mass that was, though.

Comment

There was some amazing scenery on the SIN-EWR daytime sector, when I flew back when it was exec economy on the A345. Spectacular views of mountains, snow, ice and glaciers etc. Can't remember which continent or land mass that was, though.
                        It was mainly Alaska and northern Canada Flew it late March when it still pretty white up there and kept me glued to the window for a long while. Good memories!

Comment

Nice report, I was in Reading a few weeks back doing a similar trip but decided against staying in Reading as most of my meetings were to take place in London. The central area of Reading has improved somewhat over the years and really is a wonderful place.

In December 2015, I was lucky enough to stay at the Pullman next to the Ibis Styles you posted, I popped by for food on some evenings as it was much better than eating at the airport or at the Pullman itself. Nice new area and I'd definitely recommend either of these to anyone instead of carrying their luggage into Central Paris.

Comment

It was mainly Alaska and northern Canada Flew it late March when it still pretty white up there and kept me glued to the window for a long while. Good memories!
                            Scenery must have been beautiful!

Originally posted by Mlee888 View Post
                            Nice report, I was in Reading a few weeks back doing a similar trip but decided against staying in Reading as most of my meetings were to take place in London. The central area of Reading has improved somewhat over the years and really is a wonderful place.
                            Thanks, Mlee888! I've always liked visiting Reading. I think staying in either Reading or London would be a matter of personal preference. Sometimes I stay in Reading, but there have been trips where I stay in London, and commute to Reading by train each day for meetings.

In December 2015, I was lucky enough to stay at the Pullman next to the Ibis Styles you posted, I popped by for food on some evenings as it was much better than eating at the airport or at the Pullman itself. Nice new area and I'd definitely recommend either of these to anyone instead of carrying their luggage into Central Paris.
                            Yes, I noticed the Pullman as well, right across from the Ibis. It is definitely a more upscale hotel than the Ibis. I am surprised that you found the food at the Ibis better than the Pullman, though, since the Ibis food offerings are quite basic.

Either of those hotels are great for an overnight transit stop at CDG. Except for the lack of decent running routes!

Comment

Yes, I noticed the Pullman as well, right across from the Ibis. It is definitely a more upscale hotel than the Ibis. I am surprised that you found the food at the Ibis better than the Pullman, though, since the Ibis food offerings are quite basic.

Either of those hotels are great for an overnight transit stop at CDG. Except for the lack of decent running routes!
                              Let's just say the service in the Pullman at the time wasn't up to scratch. The waiter was adamant I had to pay for my breakfast despite it being included as part of my room package and wouldn't allow me to leave until I paid it. Needless to say the free drinks provided to me afterwards wasn't enough to cover the embarrassing scene in the morning. Plus the Ibis Styles in the evening had a more relaxing atmosphere. Nice brand new rooms though.

I use Paris CDG as a base if I plan to go both Paris and Disney. There's a 10 minute train ride that takes you direct to Disney which not many people are aware of unless you're local.

The only thing confusing I found was finding the shuttle from airport to the hotel.

I find the train ride from Paddington to Reading handy, just if you like the commute back to London in the evenings which is the deciding factor for me.

Which hotel do you normally stay in in London?

Comment

I use Paris CDG as a base if I plan to go both Paris and Disney. There's a 10 minute train ride that takes you direct to Disney which not many people are aware of unless you're local.
                                Thanks, useful info!

The only thing confusing I found was finding the shuttle from airport to the hotel.
                                Yes, I also found the shuttle routes and signage confusing.

Which hotel do you normally stay in in London?
                                My personal favourite is the Hilton London Hyde Park, although some may find it a very idiosyncratic choice, as it is not what most people would call a top hotel by the usual criteria.

It is not luxurious, is missing many facilities (It has no exec lounge, and doesn't even have a gym) and the rooms are small. But what it does have in it's favour are a great location for Chinese and ethnic food in Bayswater, close to 2 tube stations, and Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park just across the street, plus the fact that the rooms are all refurbished. The rates seem very reasonable compared to other London hotels too. I almost always stay there when I am on a business trip, and would consider it for holidays too, although there are probably better options for a family vacation.

Comment

Working...
                                X