Scoot to KL & my first Firefly to Seletar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoot to KL & my first Firefly to Seletar

Last weekend, I took a trip up north to Kuala Lumpur, just to grab some good food as well as making good of the Firefly discounted tickets on their relaunched flights to Singapore's secondary airport, Seletar Airport, after some political bickering between Singapore and Malaysia (you can google for more details if interested).

Flight up was via Scoot as it was offering the lowest fares compared to other airlines departing on a Saturday morning. Check-in done online and boarding pass printed at home.

With no check-in bags, it was direct through immigration and to The Green Market for a complimentary meal with my Priority Pass. It was a very generous serving of good Japanese cuisine for breakfast.

Headed to the gate, which was a bus gate.

Boarding had just commenced, and we were onto the first bus to the aircraft.

Tarmac tour while on the ride to the aircraft, passing SQ and TR 787s, A350 and A320.

My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Reached our A320 "Conscious Coupling" at Bay 200 for boarding.

04 May 2019
    Scoot
    TR 452
    Singapore (SIN) - Kuala Lumpur (KUL)
    A320
    9V-TRN
    Economy Class
    Flight Time: 0H38M

One of the first passengers to board.

Window view.

LCC-ish tight legroom but bearable for the short flight.

Seat pocket contents.

Quick visit to the basic but clean lavatory.

Still waiting for 2 other busload of passengers to arrive.

My Travel Map

Comment

Pushed back on schedule and taxied to the runway.

After holding for at least 5 aircraft ahead to depart, we took off from Rwy20C. The new Rwy02R/20L and the T5 construction site could be seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idPSRtfeOog

Cabin view. Short cruise with the crew doing a quick round of BOB sales before we started the descent.

Descend and approach into Kuala Lumpur.

My Travel Map

Comment

Landing in KLIA Rwy33 and taxied to the terminal at KLIA2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TUYoFUoD_4

Disembarking. It was a very short, punctual and uneventful flight on Scoot.

Headed into the city via the very convenient KLIA Express train, and had lunch at Sin Kee restaurant near KL Sentral.

Stayed at Parkroyal for the night. It is a reasonably comfortable, though a bit aging, room.

Dinner was a Chinatown where we had the delicious and popular KL Hokkien Mee, as well as a 'Moonlight' Hor Fun.

My Travel Map

Comment

The next morning, we had brunch at ICC Pudu food center. This is a very popular breakfast place for KL-ians.

Followed by a sweet treat from Secret Recipe opposite the hotel.

Headed to Subang Skypark terminal via a 30min Grab ride. Unlike the massive KLIA, Subang is simple and uncrowded, catering to only turboprop flights.

Checked in at the Firefly desks without hassle and boarding receipt issued.

There is actually a lounge at Subang, SkyLounge, which can be accessed via Priority Pass membership. The lounge is simple, with sofa seating and a small buffet setup.

My Travel Map

Comment

FIDS in the lounge.

Basic buffet selection

Headed through immigration and security to the departure gate, where the earlier flight to Seletar was just being boarded. There were 2 Firefly flights to Seletar Airport within 25min.

Main aircraft at Subang were Firefly and Malindo ATR72s.

Remainder of the passengers waiting to board our flight.

15min later, boarding was called and it was a short walk to the tarmac to the awaiting aircraft in a special livery.

My Travel Map

Comment

05 May 2019
              Firefly
              FY 3132
              Kuala Lumpur Subang (SZB) - Singapore Seletar (XSP)
              ATR72-500
              9M-FYJ
              Economy Class
              Flight Time: 1H01M

Boarding the prop.

The seats were refurbished recently with new leather upholstery and modern design.

View from the window.

Average legroom.

Reading materials.

Boarding was completed very swiftly as the fight was only half full. After the safety demo was performed by the crew, we taxied the taxi to the runway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUGaHQ99cBE&t=21s

Departure from Rwy15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zogf6hUlpqM

My Travel Map

Comment

Sunset over Port Klang.

Immediately after seatbelt signs were turned off, the 2 very efficient and friendly crew started the refreshment service.

Firefly still offers a complimentary snack and drink on all their flights. On offer today were a choice of peanuts or curry puff (or both), and mango juice or soya bean milk. I am certainly impressed with the offerings by the airline.

Nothing much to do for the rest of the flight till we started the descent into Singapore. Johor Bahru city center, as well as Singapore's Woodlands estate and the causeway can be spotted.

Flew towards the north-eastern part of Johor before starting the approach into Seletar, descending along the controversial glidepath above Pasir Gudang developments and port into Seletar.

Landing into Seletar's Rwy21 and taxied to the new airport terminal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9oQpBZy-Zg

My Travel Map

Comment

Parked at the stand.

Disembarked and walked to the terminal. We were the last scheduled commercial arrival flight into Seletar for the day.

Firefly remains as a very comfortable way to fly, especially if you would like to experience a turboprop flight from Singapore.

From the tarmac, you are led straight into the small immigration hall.

The sole baggage belt is just after immigration. There were some interesting décor around as well.

After customs check, it is straight into the small arrival hall.

Greenery between arrival and departure halls.

Empty check-in hall.

Seletar Airport is definitely under-utilized at the moment, serving just 6 Firefly departures and arrivals daily. There are news that Malindo and Indonesian carrier Wings Air are also looking at starting flights into Seletar. Hopefully Seletar will be slightly busier with the additional flights in the future, and the secondary airport will play a bigger role in the growth of aviation for Singapore.

My Travel Map

Comment

Good report as always. On the Firefly flight, my cousin took it from Seletar to Subang and it was on a cloudy afternoon and all the way the plane was mostly flying in the clouds and it was so bumpy like he never encountered before and some pax even threw up and he say he will never fly a prop again as due to the unpredictability of the weather. He took AK back to SIN instead.

Comment

Thanks for the TR!! Enjoyable read and great pics of KL and Seletar

Comment

Working...
                      X