Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JAL Global Club as OW FFP -- anyone who can read Japanese?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
    That's to waive the annual fee...

---
    The annual fee can be waived if you have a credit card OR, "JGC members who earn 25,000 FLY ON Points or fly 10 eligible flights with JAL/JALways international flights during the calendar year."
    ---

The 10 flights will already qualify for the annual fee waiver.
    HUGE AL

Comment

I've PM-ed you the mathematics... fairly certain it'll be painful...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
        I've PM-ed you the mathematics... fairly certain it'll be painful...
        Update the thread on your findings on this confusing program.
        HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
          stargold, according to JAL's website, I'm seeing a different story:

"JAL Global Club (JGC) membership [OW Ruby] is available to JMB members who have achieved 50,000 FLY ON Points or have taken at least 50 flights of 15,000 FLY ON Points on JAL Group airlines flights during one calendar year (January-December)."

"As a JGC member you can renew your membership with the payment of the renewal fee of 5,000 miles from your JMB account around the beginning of March."

The annual fee can be waived if you have a credit card OR, "JGC members who earn 25,000 FLY ON Points or fly 10 eligible flights with JAL/JALways international flights during the calendar year."

Regarding the JGC Premier (OW Emerald):

"JAL Global Club members who have accrued at least 80,000 FLY ON Points or boarded more than 80 flights of a minimum 25,000 FLY ON Points on JAL Group Airlines and/or oneworld member airlines in a calendar year will be enrolled in JGC PREMIER Service."

Renewal of the JGC Premier is the same as above qualification.
          I don't know whether the Americas and Japan sites are supposed to be different, but it certainly says you need the credit card to qualify for JGC on the JP site:
          JAL Global Club membership is available to JMB members who have achived 50,000 FLY ON Points or have taken 50 flights and 15,000 Points on JAL Group airlines flights with eligible fare in one calender year. JGC membership is qualified by an enrollment under JALCARD Club-A, Club-A Gold or JAL Diner's Club membership with payment of an annual fee(*).

* JALCARD Club-A : ¥10,500, Club-A Gold : ¥16,800, JAL Diner's Club : ¥23,100 (tax included)
          * Employees of any airline companies and travel agencies are not eligible for JAL Global Club membership.
          I'm beginning to think that there are completely different qualification criteria for Japanese and non-Japanese residents... Still, if you can just enroll into JGC without doing the credit card, it defeats the whole point of having the separate JMB levels, doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post
            I'm beginning to think that there are completely different qualification criteria for Japanese and non-Japanese residents... Still, if you can just enroll into JGC without doing the credit card, it defeats the whole point of having the separate JMB levels, doesn't it?
            Completely agree. As mentioned to Kyo+, JL has got to have one of the most confusing FFP's out there.
            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
              Update the thread on your findings on this confusing program.
              Too much rambling on in the PM... only a mathematician would appreciate it...

stargold: I was checking based on the JL Singapore website, which of course has no mention of any credit card as there is no local JL card.

I should go down to the JL office as it's less than 200m down the road - I think they themselves wouldn't know, however..

At the moment, I'm thinking of beginning the run next year since there's just more time to go from Jan-Dec instead of starting it now and running for the next 24 weeks...

Comment

Just checked the Korean site - in Korean, it says exactly the same thing as the Americas site (i.e. no requirement to hold the CC, but an "annual fee" which is waived in the two circumstances already described).

Kyo: I also doubt they would actually know

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post
                  Just checked the Korean site - in Korean, it says exactly the same thing as the Americas site (i.e. no requirement to hold the CC, but an "annual fee" which is waived in the two circumstances already described).

Kyo: I also doubt they would actually know
                  With all the combined knowledge here, we should put together a guide and pop it in the "Which FFP for Me" section to help others.
                  HUGE AL

Comment

**Newsflash**

Confirmed with JAL London:

1. You do not need a credit card, when resident outside Japan
                    2. You just need to initially qualify for Sapphire, then you will be offered membership
                    3. Once you join, you just have to pay the membership fee, or fly the required amount to be exempt from it
                    4. Everything else is as we discussed - i.e. it's possible to keep the membership (pretty much) forever provided you renew each year

So... it's an excellent deal really!

Comment

Initially qualify for Sapphire - that's very interesting indeed. That or 50 flights... I think 50 short-hops SIN-KUL still doesn't quite breach Sapphire, I'm afraid?

But yes - this is an interesting development.

JL office in Singapore just gave me blank looks. Then suggested I sign up for JMB. Which was awkward.

Comment

Well, it's 50 flights of fly-on eligible tickets, plus 15,000 fly-on points, so I wouldn't have thought it would be too tough?

KUL-SIN: 185 miles
                        +25% = 231.5 miles
                        + 400 bonus points (C fare) = 631.5 miles

50 x 631.5 points = 31575 points

http://www.uk.jal.com/world/en/jalmi..._on/guide.html

Comment

It's not the FLY-ON points I'm worried about - I'd have plenty of those... it's the 50-flight requirement/based upon the rest of the weekends this year. It wouldn't have been too tough had I not only started my first flight in March! Then only to seriously consider it in April... and have to qualify all within Jan - Dec 09!

I will have to pass for now and plan the run for 2010... I have to use my other long-weekends for other more productive purposes this year. If I went all out by December, whilst still leaving enough weekends to spend elsewhere, I'd still be short about 4 weekends. Seeing as this is a once-a-day, one-way flight, I'd have to use up both my long weekends, forego my Christmas jaunt to Hong Kong, and can the OSL DO.

Also, I don't know if there's some sort of calculation error, but every flight I get logs only 537 FLY-ONs, not 631.

If it was 631 FLY-ONs, I'd be able to qualify (albeit in a crazy fashion) on the 50 flights requirement within this year. Since the rest of my weekends this year is more or less planned out with a few variables here and there, I'll have to give it a miss. OW Ruby just isn't worth me going nuts over, but in the end, JL still remains my preferred option on SIN-KUL-SIN. Some of the SIN JL check-in staff already wave hello, so it's all good for now.

I'll post up the messy calculations I'd sent last week to the HUGE one.

But they are rather unstructured and fairly painful to read.

Here it is (with a great degree of editing to make more sense/give it context):

"The annual fee can be waived if you have a credit card OR JGC members who earn 25,000 FLY-ON Points or fly 10 eligible flights with JAL/JALways international flights during the calendar year."

To be honest, each flight nets me 537 points exactly.

Which would mean 46.55 odd flown flights on the SIN-KUL run.

So far, I have 4,833 with only 1,233 BIS miles.

By calculating 25,000 FLY-ON minus 4,833 FLY-ON points, I'll still need 20,167 FLY-ONs, or 37.55 flown flights. Since I can do two flights in one weekend, that means on the 18th round-trip on SIN-KUL, I'll be able to only waive the annual fee.

All the above is not yet relevant because...

"JAL Global Club (JGC) membership [OW Ruby] is available to JMB members who have achieved 50,000 FLY-ON Points or have taken at least 50 flights of 15,000 FLY-ON Points on JAL Group airlines flights during one calendar year (January-December)."

Since it will take 50,000 FLY-ON points to achieve JGC, that's 93.1 flown flights based on 537 FLY-ONs alone to get OW Ruby (overkill).

So, this leaves me with "at least 50 flights of 15,000 FLY-ON points" as the qualification criteria.

Since 50 flights x 537 = 26,850 FLY-ON points, the FLY-ON points qualification criteria is satisfied, but there's the actual case of flying another 41 flights on JL.

To summarise, I need to requalify in terms of number of eligible flights flown. Another 41 flights, to be exact, to meet the above criteria. I have 22 weekends if I want to do that. The factor is not so much cost. It's time and actual BIS flown flights (it's $139 SGD per round trip, or $69.50 per flight). $69.50 x 41 = $2849.5 SGD, or USD1,960.575 (a pittance in terms of cost, to gain OW Sapphire).

To achieve this, I'd probably have to consider flying to Japan and doing as many domestic sectors in one weekend around Japan (not cheap and distorts the working model I have). Since we have only two more long weekends, where I could in essence squeeze in 3 JL flights each weekend, saving myself two weekends, and then bus it back red-eye, it just doesn't seem very 'worth' it.

If it works, it'll only *just barely* work.

If this was allowable from March '09 - March '10 (at first I thought it might be), an extra 3 months means I'll easily clear qualification for JGC... and the rest, as we've discussed, is easy for re-qualification. 10 more flights, or 5 weekends, by March 2010 would be what I'd require to safely get to Sapphire
                          Perhaps Leroy and Bubba are up to the task?!!
                          Last edited by Kyo; 20 July 2009, 07:10 PM.

Comment

AFAIK, there is some benefit in OW ruby even if you don't get lounge access, e.g. you could access the very nice BA LHR T1 zone R premium check-in (before the move to T5) and I believe there are special check-in desks (?) for OW ruby/CX silver at HKG. So it's not totally worthless like *A silver.

As Kiwi mentioned, have you looked into buying QF club membership which I believe gives you access to BA J lounges ? So you'd be sorted in SIN (albeit not the F side) and OW lounge access in KUL consists only of the not very nice CX lounge anyway.

Comment

Thanks jhm, I'm looking more for status + lounge benefits actually. But that's a decent alternative to consider. Since I'd be flying with JL, not QF, I'd want JL to 'recognise' and possibly op-up here and there, especially if rumours elsewhere are true that JGCs get treated very, very nicely... JGC + OW Sapphire especially nice. JGC + easily requalification looks like a win-win scenario to me.

Let's hope the qualification methods don't change (or change to become easier, fat chance... ) it is still around in 2010. And that I can still get these fares/fare bucket.

Oh and by the way, there is this *minor* point that you might want to update your post with - may I present the new CX lounges in KLIA that opened about 3 weeks ago (obviously I couldn't get in):

Fancy schmancy eh?

Comment

Op-ups on JL ? Will you fly anything more than SIN-KUL ? In J on that route, you still don't get any booze nor do you get anything more than the usual rice crackers and/or dried natto!

The entrance to the CX KUL lounge looks okay but what lies inside ? And what happened to the (IIRC) cardboard cutout of the CX girl outside ? (Or am I getting confused with another CX lounge elsewhere ?)

Comment

Working...
                                X