Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mystical Mandalay on Myanmar National Airlines (Y) and SilkAir (J)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystical Mandalay on Myanmar National Airlines (Y) and SilkAir (J)

The final destination in my list of December travels is a less visited destination by Singaporeans, Mandalay in Myanmar. Surprisingly, even during the peak travel season, flights availability were still wide open. Looking through the schedules, I settled on Myanmar National Airlines (MNA) Economy Class up to Mandalay, and SilkAir Business Class back.

Myanmar National Airlines is definitely not a commonly flown and reviewed airline. Some background on the airline from Wiki:

Myanmar National Airlines, formerly Union of Burma Airways, Burma Airways, and Myanma Airways, is a state-owned airline and the flag carrier of Myanmar, based in Yangon. It operates scheduled services to all major domestic destinations and to regional destinations in Asia. Its main base is Yangon International Airport. Founded in 1948.

The airline was founded by the government after independence on 15 September 1948, as the Union of Burma Airways (UBA). It initially operated domestic services only, and international services were added in 1950. The name was changed to Burma Airways in December 1972, and to Myanma Airways on 1 April 1989 following the renaming of the country from Burma to Myanmar. International services of Myanma Airways have been made as joint venture airline, Myanmar Airways International (MAI). Myanmar National Airlines is the majority shareholder of Joint Venture Company MAI, set up in 1993.[3] In 2003, it was proposed to set up a Myanmar-based airline for chartered international passenger and cargo flights, which was planned to be called Air Myanmar. What would have been a joint-venture between Myanma Airways and private investors was abandoned in 2005. Myanmar National Airlines provides ground-handling services for Other airline's charter,schedule and non schedule flight.

In mid-2012, Myanma Airways ordered to lease two new Embraer 190AR from GE Civil Aviation Services Co.Ltd, that replaced its Fokker F-28 from November 2012. On February 11, 2014, at the Singapore Airshow, Myanma Airways signed a $960 million deal with GECAS for four Boeing 737-800s and six Boeing 737 MAX planes. The deal is the largest commercial sale by a U.S. company to Myanmar in decades and is the largest single aircraft order in the history of Myanmar's aviation industry.

In December 2014, Myanma Airways re-branded itself as Myanmar National Airlines.

Following the arrival of its first Boeing 737-800 in June 2015, Myanmar National Airlines announced the resumption of international services after a 22-year hiatus to Singapore, Hong Kong and Bangkok. International services resumed with the inaugural flight to Singapore on 19 August 2015. Myanmar National Airlines then launched its second international service to Hong Kong on 4 December 2015 following the arrival of its second Boeing 737-800. Myanmar National Airlines (MNA) sets to begin its flights between Yangon and Bangkok starting from February 20, 2016 marking Thailand as its third international destination.

Singapore is MNA's first international destination after the rebranding and it now offers twice daily flights from Singapore to Yangon. Twice a week, the flight continues up to Mandalay on the same flight number, which is the flight I was booked on. The airlines currently operates a fleet of 4 new B737-800 on its international network.

MNA operates out of Terminal 3 at Changi and ground handling was performed by Dnata. Booking of tickets via its website was easy, but online check-in was not available. Hence, all passengers needed to do manual check-in, which was swift. Business Class was also offered, but not available for selection for Mandalay-bound pax. There was also a Premium Economy section onboard, with 6 rows of economy seats offering more seat pitch.

Boarding pass issued. The flight would be flying to Mandalay via Yangon. According to the check-in staff, Mandalay-bound pax would be seated towards the rear of the aircraft for ground handling purposes in Yangon, and it appeared most of the pax were Yangon-bound.

After a quick lunch at the T3 food court, we proceeded through immigration. Spot the aircraft right at the end of the terminal.

Departure gate was at A16. It was rather quiet at this time of the afternoon at T3.

Due to the location of the gate, it was impossible to get a clean shot of the aircraft.

28 December 2017
    Myanmar National Airlines
    UB 2
    Singapore (SIN) - Yangon (RGN)
    B737-800
    XY-ALG
    Economy Class
    Flight Time: 2H27M

We would be flying on MNA's newest B737-800 in its fleet. Boarding was called and boarding sequence was enforced strictly. Welcomed by the UB female crew dressed in Burmese-styled red tunic.

First impression of the aircraft cabin was very good, with 8 Business Class seats upfront and the rest of the cabin fitted in with green-coloured Economy seats. Interestingly, both Business and Economy seats are of the exact same model as used on SilkAir's B738s.

Economy seats

Christmas decorations on the wall.

Seat pitch is good (better than SilkAir) and recline is decent. There were no pillows available but blankets could be requested from the crew if required.

Last edited by ycp81; 7 January 2018, 09:44 PM.
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Each seat has an adjustable headrest.

IFE controls in the armrest, which I believed served no purpose. Electrical sockets are available under the seats.

The inflight magazine, duty-free guide, safety card and airsick bag.

Boarding in progress.

View out the window.

Boarding almost completed. Flight was about 70% full on the sector up to Yangon. Pilot announced a 2.5hr flight to Yangon.

After boarding was completed, refreshing towels and arrival immigration cards were distributed.

Pushed back with the safety video played, first in Burmese followed by English.

Taxiing to the runway and passing the new Terminal 4.

My Travel Map

Comment

Took off from Rwy02C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBXwtGXARdk

MNA offers wifi-streaming IFE to laptop/mobile devices for its economy class passengers. Business Class seats are fitted with in-seat IFE monitors. The IFE app would need to be downloaded prior to the flight departure and would not be available for download onboard. Downloaded the app to the IFE system.

IFE menu

Offering a grand total of 4 movies....

A selection of music albums across different genres.

And the flight map, which was the only working selection as both movies and music crashed when trying to be loaded on my and my friend's mobile devices. MNA definitely needed to do something about its IFE system.

First, a round of beverages was offered from the bar cart. The full bar selection, including beers, wines, rum and soft drinks were available. The flight map was played on the dropdown monitors.

Last edited by ycp81; 7 January 2018, 10:28 PM.

My Travel Map

Comment

I saw that Mandalay rum was offered on the bar cart and ordered a Mandalay rum with Coke. Why not, since I am flying to Mandalay!

This was followed by the meal service. Crew were generally friendly and professional in conducting the inflight service, though smiles seemed forced on a few.

We were offered a choice of Chicken with noodles or Fish with rice. We chose a selection each. The meal tray came with a cold roll, butter and dessert cake. Cutlery was plastic. It seemed that only the main courses were uplifted from SIN and that the rest of the meal tray contents were from Yangon.

Soya sauce chicken with ee-fu noodles. The portion was big and taste was good as well.

Indian-styled spicy fish with rice and curried vegetables. This choice was delicious too!

Interesting butter packaging.

The chocolate cream cake was ok.

Ending with a cup of tea. Note the interesting salt and pepper sachets.

At 38000 feet.

Visit to the lavatory, which only had the necessary amenities. Also, this aircraft had the newer-styled lavatories, which seemed smaller than the rest.

My Travel Map

Comment

Cabin view.

With no other entertainment available, I took bouts of naps till we started the descend into Yangon.

Slowing down during descend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v6O-mxaKOw

Blue hues switched on for landing.

Interestingly, crew were only requested by the pilot to prepare cabin for landing at 10,000ft, and to be seated only when gears were lowered a couple of minutes before touch down.

Landed at Yangon International Airport Rwy21 slightly ahead of schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqVClWsG2Ks

Exited the runway but required to hold as another aircraft taxied past.

Only a very short taxi to the terminal.

Yangon-bound passengers disembarked. Passengers heading to Mandalay were required to remain onboard while the crew did a headcount and cabin was cleaned. As told at check-in, all Mandalay-bound passengers were assigned seats towards the rear and the forward cabin was emptied as the Yangon pax disembarked. There would be a change of crew and domestic passengers joining.

This first flight on Myanmar National Airlines was better than expectations. Being a very small international carrier, it is expected that the offered frills, such as IFE, would not match up with the big players. However, with the comfortable seats, good catering and friendly service, MNA certainly offers a reasonable full-service experience.

My Travel Map

Comment

28 December 2017
            Myanmar National Airlines
            UB 2
            Yangon (RGN) - Mandalay (MDL)
            B737-800
            XY-ALG
            Economy Class
            Flight Time: 51M

Aircraft being refuelled during the transit stop.

While the front cabin was being cleaned, the kind crew members offered as Mandalay-bound pax at the rear cups of water.

Interestingly, while initially we were attached to the aerobridge, we were disconnected and pushed back slightly, all the time while the aircraft was being cleaned and aircraft doors opened. Apparently it was to allow the boarding of Yangon-originating passengers who would be bussed from the domestic terminal and board via stairs.

MH arriving from KUL.

Domestic passengers started boarding. The flight ended up nearly full on the short domestic sector. Quite a lucrative route for the airline, considering the airfare between RGN-MDL is almost similar to SIN-MDL.

As per previous sector, refreshing towels were distributed after boarding was completed. The crew pictured was, I must say, very dedicated, caring and kind, with sincere smiles to all. During boarding, she was observed patiently assisting two seperate elderly passengers to their seats towards the rear of the aircraft, and ensuring that they were comfortably seated. Seldom do we find such genuine service, care and concern shown by cabin crew onboard.

Pushed back slightly behind schedule due to the long boarding process of the domestic passengers.

Burmese safety video with chinese subtitles was played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MALLveGSp5o

This was followed by the English version as we started our taxi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0_lAIxO08E

Lining up on the runway.

Departure from Yangon Rwy21 for the short flight to Mandalay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqCFBsTW60o

My Travel Map

Comment

Climbing out of Yangon.

Above the dense cloud cover, which remained so for most of the flight till we were approaching Mandalay.

Flight map on the streaming IFE. We were at 32000ft.

Refreshment service immediately started and the crew rushed down the aisle to distribute snack boxes.

Each passenger was given a snack box containing pastry items and a cup for hot beverages. The cake provided was delicious! For some reason, the snack boxes were all labeled "Premium Economy".

Cruising

My Travel Map

Comment

After the snack boxes were distributed, crew came down the aisle with the drink carts, offering a range of soft drinks, water and coffee/tea. I had a tea. Service by this set of rather junior crew was efficient and very friendly as compared to the previous sector.

Clouds cleared when we were nearing Mandalay.

Descending into Mandalay.

Spot the runway while we were turning for finals.

Landing in Mandalay Intl Airport Rwy17 and taxied to the gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbiJBCmGFp4

Disembarking.

It was a very pleasant short flight on Myanmar National Airlines on the RGN-MDL sector with very pleasant service and good inflight offerings. I woud have to qualms flying with MNA again if I have the chance in the future.

My Travel Map

Comment

View of the aircraft after disembarking. A China Eastern B738 was spotted departing for Kunming.

Both SIN and RGN originated passengers disembarked into the same terminal area. At immigration, there were signages for SIN-originated pax to proceed to the immigration counters while RGN domestic pax can exit through a separate hallway (not sure if boarding passes/documents were checked). However both domestic and international flights uses the same baggage belts.

The arrival hall.

Mandalay City is almost 40km away from the airport and it was almost an hour's airport taxi ride into the city. Our accomodation was at Home Hotel, a rather popular 3-stars hotel in the city. Rooms were large and tastefully furnished.

After checking in, we headed to a popular local dinner place, Shan Ma Ma Restaurant, for our first dinner. This eatery is popular with both locals and foreigners, and offers Burmese Shan cuisine. For the amount of food that we ordered, the price came up to be very affordable!

Called it a night as there is barely any night life in Mandalay. The next day, it was an early start to join a day-tour. Breakfast was included in the hotel rate. The choices, though limited, was sufficient to start the day. The item I liked most was the traditional Burmese breakfast dish, Mohinga, which is a slightly spicy and flavourful soup noodles.

My Travel Map

Comment

Morning city view from room.

First stop of the day is Mahamuni Buddha Temple
                    Maha Myat Muni Paya is Myanmar's second holiest pilgrimage site. It is a 4-metre high Buddha statue, made of gold and decorated with precious jewels. The image was brought from Rakhine State, southeast of Mandalay. Only men are allowed to approach the Mahamuni. For 1600kyat, you can get a small pack of gold leaves to partake in the ceremonial tradition of decorating the buddha statue. Over the past century a layer of gold over 6" deep has been pressed into the body of Mahamuni. (wiki)

Next stop is U-Bein bridge, the world's longest teak bridge.

Followed by an alms receiving ceremony at a monastary.

My Travel Map

Comment

We passed by a grand procession, which is a ceremony to inaugurate young novice monks and nuns. According to the guide, such a grand ceremony is only affordable by the wealthy.

Visit to a handicraft workshop.

Having a traditional Burmese meal. Lots of tasty side dishes, and an interesting savoury 'tea salad' as dessert.

A local temple.

My Travel Map

Comment

Gold leaves making

Mandalay Hill ahead.

Visit to the Royal Palace.
                        It was built in 1861 by King Mindon, to fulfil a prophecy. The palace, although destroyed in World War II, was rebuilt, and was renovated recently. In addition, while the design of the reconstruction was fairly faithful to the original, the materials used were not (metal was use instead of the original teak wood). The palace contains several pavilions and chambers. Replicas of throne rooms and chairs and Madame Tussaud style images of Kings Mindon and Thibaw with their chief consorts are on display. (Wiki)

Shwenandaw Monastery
                        It is a monastery made entire out of teak wood with beautiful intricate carvings. It was originally part of the royal palace built by King Mindon and moved to its current location by his son, King Thibaw in the late 19th century. It is the only major building from the original wooden royal palace to have survived the bombing during World War II, and thus is the only authentic part of the royal palace which can still be seen today. (Wiki)

Atumashi Monastery

My Travel Map

Comment

Kuthodaw Paya
                          is site of the world's largest book, located at the foot of Mandalay Hill. Built by King Mingdon in the 1800s, 729 white stupas within the complex contain the complete text of the Tripitaka, Theravada Buddhism's most sacred text. (Wiki)

Kyauk Taw Gyi Pagoda
                          Contains an image of the Buddha carved out of a single block of marble from the Sagyin Hill. The figures of 80 arahats or the disciples of the Buddha, are arranged around the central shrine, 20 on each side. The carving of the image was completed in 1865. (Wiki)

At the peak of Mandalay Hill for sunset.

One of the shopping centers in Mandalay, which was sadly, not very busy with many empty shops.

My Travel Map

Comment

Dinner at Mogok Daw Shan Noodle. Its Shan noodles is amazing, as well as the very tasty dumplings.

Kuanyin Temple near our hotel.

Mandalay Clock Tower

Visit to the bustling Zay Cho Market

My Travel Map

Comment

Thank you for sharing! Heading there next month!

Comment

Working...
                              X