PPS Do at UK new products launch tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    Question of the day :How many F seats going in the A380 ?.
    I am guessing 12 (1-2-1 x 3)?

Thanks very much MAN Flyer and jhm for the event updates.
    Any pictures taken from the event for the header image?
    Last edited by StarG; 8 November 2006, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
      Re the mileage earning change: aside from the new products launch, we don't get to hear much (if any) good news from SQ lately, do we?
      Unless they are thinking of increasing the full fare earnings (F/C/Y), there will almost no reasonable Economy Class fares that will earn 100% anymore.
      It will be interesting to see what they will do (since their decision would affect mileage-earning on any *A FFP). If Y classes get penalised, it would deflate my loyalty (though how far, I don't know yet). For selfish reasons, I think it would be better to boost the earning of full-fare classes.

Back to the seats: can't wait to hear about the first-hand experiences of our scouts.

to MAN Flyer and jhm for the updates.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
        Yes this is part of the reorgansation of airlines amongst the terminals once T5 opens. T1 will become the *A terminal with all *A airlines using that terminal. So expect we will see a general *A lounge rather than a SKL. There have been rumours that SQ will be one of the first to move there (well apart from BD and SAA who already use it).
        I wonder if they'll take over the BA facilities already there (i.e. the Terraces and First lounges). Also, there will be Zone R, which is an excellent airport experience. Check-in and security completely separate from the masses, it's never taken me more than 10 mins to get through from curbside to airside through Zone R. Far better than T3 by miles, even if there isn't the VS CH waiting at the end of it...
        Check out my Trip Reports at:
        Phil's Travel Diary

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer
          Question of the day :How many F seats going in the A380 ?.
          Originally posted by StarG View Post
          I am guessing 12 (1-2-1 x 3)?
          Hmmm, I'm not so sure. Don't forget that F on the A380 is going to be another new product, not the one that's currently been released for the B77W. Therefore, this leads me to think that it may be even more luxurious/spacious. Maybe we're looking at 1-1-1 super spacious demi-cabins or something. Four rows of those would make 12 seats and there'd be plenty of room for that on the A380, although that may see the First class cabin split between the A zone on the main deck and the first half of the B zone. Maybe even 5-6 rows to give 15-18 F seats. Who knows, but you can guarantee it will be absolutely the best First class in the sky when it comes out.
          Phil's Travel Diary

Comment

With the width of the A380 fuselage, I imagine there should be enough space to do 1-2-1 in mini cabins a la PrivatAir's concept that I posted on FT quite some time ago (seat/bed + small seat beside the bed).

I am also confident that it will be the best in the sky when it comes out.

Comment

One comment from the SQ people last night which I just remembered (and which I can't recall reading elsewhere) was that the new SQ seat is based on the VS seat, which is patented (or something like that) and mention was made of SQ's shareholding in VS.

Comment

Apologies for the delay in getting back. TG (or BD) have lost my luggage and they don't even know where it is or what flights (if any) it made.

The luggage staff at SGN are next to useless but I am hoping it arrive on TG686 tonight. If not, I'm in trouble as all my power leads (laptop, phone, Blackberry etc) are in there with some other work stuff I need, never mind all my clothes. My guess is it's in the bowels of Suvarnabhumi somewhere.

Anyway, back to the important bit. There are 478 seats on the A380. 12 in F at the front downstairs, 60 in J at the front upstairs and a small Y cabin at the back upstairs with the rest downstairs.

Apparently they are thinking of renaming F, as they think it's that good it deserves a different name altogether. Bearing in mind the bullsh*t they've fed everyone over changing RAFFLES Class this would be a rather bemusing decision.

I'll remind myself of what other interesting bits of info I got when I have sorted myself out over here.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your luggage problems. Just a reminder that if you have an Amex:

BA Amex PP offers £750 after a 4 hour delay and a further £1000 after a 48 hour delay (all sectors but last inbound). Amex Platinum (Charge card) offer £300 per person after 4 hours delay and a further £300 per person after 48 hours. These sums are in addition to any compensation from the carrier (which depends upon the class of travel).
                  Not bad IF you don't have anything essential (like your work stuff) in your luggage.

Comment

Kinh Chao from the Vietnamese MANFlyer!

Indeed, we all share in your loss of luggage. How annoying.

Interesting about F12, J60, Y406. And interesting about First Class being renamed.

Let's hope they don't come up with something like "Morning Calm Class"

Comment

I must say that I find it rather strange that SQ are going with F12, J60, Y406 in the A380 if true. The A380 was built so that airlines could provide much greater capacity without increasing flights. If you compare the A380 with the B744 on a route (let's say SIN-LHR) there are currently 3x 744 dailies and one presums in the future there will be 3x A380 dailies.

But look at the capacity. It's hardly gone anywhere. F has not increased. J has only gone up by 10 per plane. The real increase is in Y, where you've got 96 more seats per plane, which is 288 per day.

It costs more to fly an A380 to London than a B744, because it weighs a lot more. BUT the additional seat capacity was meant to make up for that. But SQ have hardly increased capacity at all - will the extra 10 J seats and 96 Y seats (if sold) make up for the increased costs of flying the A380 all the way to London? One doubts it, even if there is a surcharge for J/F (which would have adverse competition consequences). I'm very surprised that SQ has not put more premium seats in its A380's.
                      Phil's Travel Diary

Comment

Oooh, what did StarG win for being correct?
                        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by PhilH View Post
                          I must say that I find it rather strange that SQ are going with F12, J60, Y406 in the A380 if true. The A380 was built so that airlines could provide much greater capacity without increasing flights. If you compare the A380 with the B744 on a route (let's say SIN-LHR) there are currently 3x 744 dailies and one presums in the future there will be 3x A380 dailies.

But look at the capacity. It's hardly gone anywhere. F has not increased. J has only gone up by 10 per plane. The real increase is in Y, where you've got 96 more seats per plane, which is 288 per day.

It costs more to fly an A380 to London than a B744, because it weighs a lot more. BUT the additional seat capacity was meant to make up for that. But SQ have hardly increased capacity at all - will the extra 10 J seats and 96 Y seats (if sold) make up for the increased costs of flying the A380 all the way to London? One doubts it, even if there is a surcharge for J/F (which would have adverse competition consequences). I'm very surprised that SQ has not put more premium seats in its A380's.
                          Excellent point. Food for thought there. I'm sure them bean counters have worked it out already though. I don't see them losing money in THIS game

Comment

I am surprised about only having 12 F seats. Everytime I have taken the LHR-SIN route it has been totally full in F. Makes me think that there will be a hefty premium charged.

Comment

I agree. This is not complement what seems to be a supposed high-yielding strategy (even if you exclude the supposed surcharge, it's still "only" 72 premium seats).

I am sceptical.

Comment

Troi Oi!, it finally turned up!. Better late than never I suppose...

Some other bits I can remember during the chat...

New products will be going on a bit of a roadshow to MEL, SYD & probably AKL. MEL, AKL and apparently AMS are in the pipeline for getting the 77W but not sure when.

It's just down to fleet utilisation with the chaos caused by the A380 delays and the Megatops leaving. It's mainly this that had got MXP/BCN the 77W. They are frantically looking at ways of delaying the departure of as many of 744's as they can. Financial compenation from SQ to facilitate this is being considered, due to the amount they are getting for the A380 delays. When I mentioned I would imagine this is substantial I got 'well, we've ordered another 9' along with a rather large grin !!

They were disappointed not to be able to showcase the new Y product at WTM but they didn't have room on the stand. They are looking to have a bigger stand next year with all 3 products. They say the new Y is really good and with the design it gives much more legroom which is very noticeable. They were also pleased to get rid of the intrusive IFE boxes.

I asked again about the possibility of PE and it seems to be a non starter. They've looked into it properly but don't think it's worth it. I am still surprised by this, as an SQ PE product would probably give a number of airlines J product a run for their money. They do admit they get asked quite a lot about a PE product, hence looking into it. I mentioned VS are currently upgrading theirs and was reminded that they have no First!.

One slightly amusing subject mentioned was the bemusement/amusement of what seemed to be a hurried and rather sloppy CX new products launch. Particularly they fact that it isn't going to be actually available for a while.

BTW, what are we calling this new bird. 773ER or 77W ?.
                                Last edited by MAN Flyer; 11 November 2006, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X