A350 Deliveries and Routes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by balajih67 View Post
    Hoping for the a350 to start services to chennai soon.this route experiences a full load during the peak season(Jan,April,may,June,Nov,Dec).in fact all Indian routes experience full loads in this time.

These are the festive and holiday periods in India.i think with this in mind Sq might start chennai services sometime in April/may 2017.
    While BOM and DEL likely look to be the first Indian destinations to get the A350, MAA also looks like a possibility, replacing the A330 service. Or it could perhaps be used for a second SQ flight to compliment SQ529 (it frankly surprises me that SQ only has one daily flight to MAA on its own metal, while using MI and TZ for the rest of the flights).

Also, as mentioned in an earlier comment in this thread, SQ management considers India to be an important destination, and the A350 is set to fly there (although the destinations haven't yet been revealed). This importance is also apparent in the shift of India-bound flights from T2 to T3.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
      While BOM and DEL likely look to be the first Indian destinations to get the A350, MAA also looks like a possibility, replacing the A330 service. Or it could perhaps be used for a second SQ flight to compliment SQ529 (it frankly surprises me that SQ only has one daily flight to MAA on its own metal, while using MI and TZ for the rest of the flights).

Also, as mentioned in an earlier comment in this thread, SQ management considers India to be an important destination, and the A350 is set to fly there (although the destinations haven't yet been revealed). This importance is also apparent in the shift of India-bound flights from T2 to T3.
      Yes even im surprised by that but im assuming since air india express and indigo also fly to chennai on a daily basis,sq does not see the need to introduce another sq flight...both are budget carriers though...

i would personally prefer a SQ flight to chennai departing in the morning...anytway i think it wont happen and SQ529's a330 will be changed to the a350

Comment

This importance is also apparent in the shift of India-bound flights from T2 to T3.
        Did the shift occur when SQ started flying the A380 to India? It would be more operationally-efficient to have all A380 services operated from the same terminal, and convenient for all India-bound customers to use T3 instead of only DEL and BOM customers. Thus, while India is important to SQ, it might not have been the primary reason for the shift to T3.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
          Did the shift occur when SQ started flying the A380 to India? It would be more operationally-efficient to have all A380 services operated from the same terminal, and convenient for all India-bound customers to use T3 instead of only DEL and BOM customers. Thus, while India is important to SQ, it might not have been the primary reason for the shift to T3.
          No the shift happened only in may 2016.before that all flights to India including the a380 to Mumbai and Delhi were operating out of t2

Comment

Or it could perhaps be used for a second SQ flight to compliment SQ529 (it frankly surprises me that SQ only has one daily flight to MAA on its own metal, while using MI and TZ for the rest of the flights).
            I don't see that SQ can fill a second flight to/from MAA. From my own experience the loads on SQ528/529 are quite mixed. Sorry to say that, but MAA is a low budget destination and consequently SQ-group is adding capacity on this end. With daily flights from SQ, MI, TZ, AI, AirIndiaExpress, 9W, Indigo the market is served pretty well.

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
            Initially the A380 flights to India were handled at T2 (there are a few A380 gates). The move to T3 came in April 2016.
            IMHO, the primary reason to move was to make connections (in particular to Australia/US) at Changi easier without transferring between Terminals.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
              This is concerning in itself. AMS, SFO, DUS, DME & JNB/CPT operations will need a minimum of 7 craft. Add on MAN/IAH and that's the 10 pretty much used up.

If destinations such as CPH, FCO, IST & CHC don't warrant a 77W but can't be served by a medium haul configuration, how much longer are they stuck with the ancient 772ERs? Is the new configuration A350 going to have the same range or be limited like a standard 773 compared with a 77W?
              I think destinations listed above do not have a strong market for J. The current 350s have too many J class seats. There could be a second configuration for these markets. Otherwise I think the 772ERs will probably stay on these routes for a while. Cost is fuel is bearable.

Comment

• safe to say that the 772Js deployed to IST, CHC, FCO etc will be the first in line to get the A350s before they replace any of the A330s

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
                  Initially the A380 flights to India were handled at T2 (there are a few A380 gates). The move to T3 came in April 2016.
                  IMHO, the primary reason to move was to make connections (in particular to Australia/US) at Changi easier without transferring between Terminals.
                  Agreed. They have A380 gates at T2- LH uses one of them. I think the issue is more what you have stated though- transferring to Australia. Traffic between IN and AU is generating a lot of business for SQ and many families have children or elderly, infirm parents who require assistance. Easier to keep it within the same terminal.

Comment

• Originally posted by zilchster View Post
                    I think destinations listed above do not have a strong market for J. The current 350s have too many J class seats. There could be a second configuration for these markets. Otherwise I think the 772ERs will probably stay on these routes for a while. Cost is fuel is bearable.
                    Yes, I've always thought the A350s are a little oversupplied with J in comparison to Y and the PEY cabin worsens the situation. That hasn't stopped them transferring JNB/CPT to A350 though, which has never been discussed here as being a route SQ goes to too much trouble with.

The problem with the 772ERs is that their interiors are falling apart. You can't keep flying broken seats around forever.

The interesting angle to consider though, is that if they keep receiving more and more A350s, and then they transfer them onto current 77W routes, e.g. AMS already, DME, MAN/IAH to begin a month or so, MXP/BCN rumoured, then where do the 77Ws go? They are even less matched to routes like FCO, CPH or CHC.

If short flights to Asian destinations wind up getting fully refurbished B77Ws with 4x more IFE selection and quality, while much longer flights get stuck with 16yo plane interiors and entertainment that looks like an 80s TV transmission, then something is very wrong.

Comment

Yes, I've always thought the A350s are a little oversupplied with J in comparison to Y and the PEY cabin worsens the situation. That hasn't stopped them transferring JNB/CPT to A350 though, which has never been discussed here as being a route SQ goes to too much trouble with.

The problem with the 772ERs is that their interiors are falling apart. You can't keep flying broken seats around forever.

The interesting angle to consider though, is that if they keep receiving more and more A350s, and then they transfer them onto current 77W routes, e.g. AMS already, DME, MAN/IAH to begin a month or so, MXP/BCN rumoured, then where do the 77Ws go? They are even less matched to routes like FCO, CPH or CHC.

If short flights to Asian destinations wind up getting fully refurbished B77Ws with 4x more IFE selection and quality, while much longer flights get stuck with 16yo plane interiors and entertainment that looks like an 80s TV transmission, then something is very wrong.
                      There might be another configuration. The existing 359s seem to replace the 77W that cannot support F. Not sure about JNB, but I believe SQ should have another config. Premium travel is hurting.

As to where the 77W will go, like Beijing, Shanghai, Melbourne and hopefully Brisbane.

Comment

I had wondered why MAN/IAH had seemingly jumped the queue for the A350. It would be odd for either the B772s to stay on routes like CPH or for the B77W to be introduced...
                        Last edited by Dobbo; 30 November 2016, 07:43 AM.

Comment

I really knew at some point India was going to get the A350's of some sort. My eyes were definitely on MAA, too. What about AMD and CCU out of curiosity? Maybe the next trip with SQ, I'll fly an A350 if any of my ways touch MAA. But I knew from the start they were good candidates to replace the A333's.

Comment

• For India, my bet is on BLR. From my experience Biz is often fully booked and to get seat on short notice is rather difficult. They deploy a 777-200 at the moment which provide already more seats than the A330.

Comment

• The first A350s that fly to India will be with long haul configurations that fir into the gaps of long haul operations. They must leave SIN after 0730 and be back by 2200.Overnight they are needed to be on long hauls, therefore destinations that match this requirement will get them, not necessarily due to their suitability as the perfect aircraft for that destination.

Once the medium haul variants arrive, then it will be a different story, as their primary function will be to replace A330s coming off lease and the oldest 772s as they retire. As India is served by many A330s and SQ/SR-series 772s, that is when we are likely to see the A350s heading to India in significant numbers.

Comment

The first A350s that fly to India will be with long haul configurations that fir into the gaps of long haul operations. They must leave SIN after 0730 and be back by 2200.Overnight they are needed to be on long hauls, therefore destinations that match this requirement will get them, not necessarily due to their suitability as the perfect aircraft for that destination.

Once the medium haul variants arrive, then it will be a different story, as their primary function will be to replace A330s coming off lease and the oldest 772s as they retire. As India is served by many A330s and SQ/SR-series 772s, that is when we are likely to see the A350s heading to India in significant numbers.
                                Going by that logic:

1) the only route that follows this timings is SQ422/SQ421 which leave SIN at 745 Am and arrive back at 750 Pm.

So i would expect the a350 to fill in here as this SQ422 is operated by SQ's 772's.

2)the second route might be BLR as neither AI,IX,6E fly there from SIN.jet is commencing SIN-BLR from middle of december on their 737s.AS of now,there is a SQ and TR service to BLR on a daily basis...I think this route might get a morning SQ A350 route...

3)Regarding CCU and AMD,SQ only flies there 3 times a week currently,so i dont think there is much demand for this route...So i dont expect the a350's going there first.

4)Delhi also seems a possibility given that there are only 4 flights per day...

5)I expect MAA to get the A350s last as it is already well served by AI,IX,TZ,SQ,9w,MI,6E

Comment

Working...
                                X