Will SQ Cargo order the A350F?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will SQ Cargo order the A350F?

Airbus have approved the development of the A350 Freighter. Do you think the they will order this to replace the 747-400F? The oldest 747's will be reaching 25 years old when the A350F is ready for delivery. Considering that they will need a replacement for the 747 and the airlines considerable investment into the A350 already it seems like a good fit to me, albeit I am not an expert!

I'm not so sure....

The A350F will "only" have a 90T payload compared to 102T (77F) & 134T (748F).
    Perhaps the front opening of the 747 freighters are desirable to SQ.

I think SQ will need to decide if they even want dedicated freighters or just rely on belly freight business

Comment

Do think that SQ should order a few say 5 new 748s if they are still available for orders and which are fairly efficient for large and heavy cargo plus its advantage of front loading from the nose which enables it to carry large and off size cargo. And to order a few 77F too for somewhat smaller cargo load with twin engine efficiency. From this current covid pandemic, SQ would have learnt the importance of full freighter air cargo and also its importance for importing fast needed food for the country. SQ now have only 7 744 freighters which are getting in age and some years back SQ actually have more than 10 freighters.

Comment

The equipment/tools to build new 748 have been sold by the vendors, therefore it is impossible to buy new B748F anymore. The company have made last few barrels before they closed down for good and will deliver to Boeing in next few months, ending the Queen of the Skies for good. Moving forward, twin engines freighter will take over the skies, factory built and conversion. There are few companies buying up all those used 767, 777 and A321 for conversion.

With regards to SQ freighter dilemma, few years ago the market was in the dump, there were severe overcapacity and the freight rates were really bad, hence SQ Group decided to sell 10 of their 17 B744F, retired their BCF and folded it into the mainline. Even OZ, KE, CX, BR and CI the five biggest cargo airlines dumped their big part of their fleet to right size.

I am sure someone inside SQ now is beating themselves for selling those 744F but it was best decision at that point of time I guess. No one knows a pandemic was on the horizon. The current oldest is about 20 years old, still have some life left, maybe Boeing will cut SQ a good deal on B778F for delivery in 2027. I really don't see SQ will abandon pure freighter operation since there are a lot of electronics, big and bulky exports from Singapore to rest of the world. B778F would be much suitable.

Comment

Yup looks like SQ have to keep its 7 744Fs flyging for a another good 10 to 15 years time as there are large and bulky, industrial cargo to be carried and only loading through its front nose. There are limitations to twin sized freighters with their side cargo doors and smaller height for some of the cargo.
          SQ should look into ordering some 77Fs soon.
          Last edited by flyguy; 4 August 2021, 04:13 PM.

Comment

I had asked this same question last year as well as SQ's freighters were getting on in age with not a squeak whatsoever of a possible replacement in sight.

With its age and its fuel consumption, 744F days in SIA's colours are probably numbered. While the A350F could be a good fit, the 773ER freighter conversion program could also be worth looking into. SIA could convert its own fleet of pax 773ERs to freighter with minimal capital expenditure. Its payload would also be more than what A350 offers.

And contrary to what most people think, the 747F nose cargo door is rarely used. It's only used when a lengthy piece of cargo is required to be loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
              The A350F will "only" have a 90T payload compared to 102T (77F) & 134T (748F).
              The current boom in Air Cargo won't last forever. Nor will the lower fuel prices.

I hadn't realised that the 777 had a cargo conversion option. The second batch of 7 x 77W's might be a good replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                The current boom in Air Cargo won't last forever. Nor will the lower fuel prices.
                The general trend in commercial air travel has been cyclical in nature, with a dip every decade or so.

While air cargo is not as profitable as air travel during the good times, it's demand is more stable due to the global nature of commerce. It could complement SQ's main business and be a form of insurance for those "dips". Think they would have learnt from their mistake from selling SATS.

Comment

Air cargo can be good business too as can be seen that there are pure big air cargo airlines that operates the 747F and 77F like for example Cargolux, Atlas Air, Polar Air, Aerologic and many others, including UPS, Fedex, DHL which are more courier based with many large cargo aircrafts. Some airlines like Qatar have a fairly big cargo department with 28 freighters, and Emirates and Cathay and China Airlines.
                  Last edited by flyguy; 7 August 2021, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Would SQ consider the 777-300ERSF? Maybe converting some of their 77W?

Comment

The "door" to order 748F has closed for good.

https://simpleflying.com/last-boeing...-october-2022/

Atlas Air will be taking delivery of the last 747 ever in Oct 2022.

Comment

Confirmed. SQ has ordered the A350F

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s.../ne2521-211215

Comment

The wording on the press release seems to indicate SQ will be launch customer? Did I read it right?

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                            Confirmed. SQ has ordered the A350F

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s.../ne2521-211215
                            For 7 A350F + 5 options by swapping out 15 A320neo orders from Scoot and 2 A350 orders by SIA.

Comment

Yes they will be the launch customer.

Comment

Working...
                              X