No announcement yet.

Raffles Hotel Staycation: A Look Back at History Through Modern Eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After dinner, it was just a short stroll, in the cool night air, back to the Raffles...

Our bed had been turned down for the evening...

On the bed, an extract from a book on the history of the Raffles made for interesting bed time reading...

Last edited by yflyer; 3 May 2021, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Early the next morning, the day of our check-out, I headed out for another 5km run around Marina bay. This time the sun was out, and it was bright and clear as I retraced my route from the previous rain-soaked morning.

This was the weekend, so runners and cyclists were out in full force...

This was the morning of 17th of April, a bright, sunny Saturday morning.

Little did I know that just hours later, the sky would turn dark once again for one of the heaviest downpours in Singapore's recent history, which resulted in several flash floods in other parts of Singapore (Though not in the Civic District), and rainwater drainage canals close to capacity.
      Last edited by yflyer; 5 May 2021, 02:20 PM.

Comment

The day we were scheduled to check out was Miss yflyer no.2's 18th birthday.

In the late morning, the doorbell rang, and there was our butler, holding a pair of large balloons and a beautiful cake, complete with lit candle...

"Happy Birthday, Miss yflyer no.2!"

What a lovely gesture...

It was soon time to check out...

If you had questions or points to discuss about your bill, these could be settled entirely on the phone, with no visit to the front desk needed.

We puttered around the room till close to 12pm before departing our Suite.

By then, it was raining outside, with frequent rumblings of distant thunder.

I collected our family car from the Raffles underground carpark, and made a final drive round to the main entrance of the Raffles to pick up Mrs yflyer and Miss yflyer no.2, who were waiting under the front porch with our luggage. I felt, as we drove out of the gravel driveway, that we were leaving another world, one of chandeliers, butlers and four poster beds, for one far more mundane.

Our collective dream had come to an end, but what sweet memories!
        Last edited by yflyer; 6 May 2021, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Final reflections...

We had a great staycation, everyone enjoyed themselves.

I never expected to enjoy our staycation at the Raffles as much as I did.

What impressed me?

- The very detailed and thorough restoration / reconstruction, which carefully respected the hotel's past.

- The hotel's history, especially as retold by our guide on our history tour, Nazir.

- The lush, green and tranquil grounds, which really gave the Raffles a different vibe from every other city hotel. Once within the hotel grounds, I felt as if I had travelled far from busy, congested Singapore. The hotel somehow created the illusion of being in a different place, even a different time.

- Our beautifully styled Suite in the Palm Court Wing -- such aesthetics, workmanship and attention to detail. Simply stunning.

- Compared to other Singapore staycations, a distinct lack of crowds and conformance to a strict schedule for dining and facilities. While it was necessary to book the pool, for example, the pool did not feel crowded when we were there, and we did not feel pressured to stick to set timings (Although of course we did.) Breakfast was at our leisure, we could stroll in any time we wanted -- very different from the strict mealtimes enforced at some other hotels as part of COVID measures.

- And finally, the staff, especially the butlers who front almost all customer interaction. All very warm, knowledgeable, well trained and very willing to go the extra mile to accommodate guests wishes, even their whims.

There are other historic, "grand" hotels which are luxurious, but which feel old or dated, and out of synch with modern times. The Raffles somehow manages to preserve a sense of history and luxury, and yet feel bright, modern and new at the same time.

It is a winning formula.

So now, if anyone asks me where they should stay in Singapore for a holiday, I would say (if cost is no object) try the Raffles! It would be a an experience they would not soon forget! As for me, cost is a consideration, but if a good deal for another staycation comes up, I would definitely grab it, to relive the wonderful time we had there on this trip.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by yflyer; 3 May 2021, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks yflyer for another tour de force I have walked and driven by this grand old dame so many times over the decades, eaten and had a tipple at Tiffin, Bar & Billiards, Long Bar and long gone Seah Street Deli, but never had the opportunity (and the $$$) to be allowed to venture deeper. Your visually detailed report vividly transported me through the corridors, the room, the courtyards, etc.

And of course your trademark Run Reports - reminded me of my own runs around the Bay, usually originating from InterCon a block away from Raffles. I’m surprised - given yr typical endurance-defying long runs - you didn’t venture further to the Barrage and circled around from Garden East.

Btw i disagree with you - i hate running with wet clothes sloshing shoes

Congratulations on yet another milestone report

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
              Thanks yflyer for another tour de force I have walked and driven by this grand old dame so many times over the decades, eaten and had a tipple at Tiffin, Bar & Billiards, Long Bar and long gone Seah Street Deli, but never had the opportunity (and the $$$) to be allowed to venture deeper. Your visually detailed report vividly transported me through the corridors, the room, the courtyards, etc.
              Thanks very much, jammed! Glad you enjoyed the TR! I remember Seah Street Deli too!

And of course your trademark Run Reports - reminded me of my own runs around the Bay, usually originating from InterCon a block away from Raffles. I’m surprised - given yr typical endurance-defying long runs - you didn’t venture further to the Barrage and circled around from Garden East.
              I would have loved to run further, and agree running all the way across the Barrage to Gardens by the Bay East is a wonderful route! But I had to be back in the hotel in time for breakfast, so had to keep my run to 5+ km.

Btw i disagree with you - i hate running with wet clothes sloshing shoes
              I'm not too keen on sloshing wet shoes either ...what I like about running in the rain is how cool and refreshing it is, compared to the usual heat and humidity you get here...

Congratulations on yet another milestone report
              Thank you again for reading!

Comment

Working...
              X