SQ Nostalgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SQ777 View Post
    This scene from the 7-part 1979 BBC series Diamonds in the Sky has some footage of the inflight service on the BA/SQ Concorde segment from Paya Lebar to Bahrain. The same episode also has some scenes of Singapore from those days and its transformation to "Aviation City" (incl. Changi construction, the SQ cabin crew training centre, and behind-the-scenes shooting of a SQ Ad).

Episode 6 provides some insight into background negotiations with Gulf states to secure overflight rights for the London to Singapore Concorde service.

The whole 7-part series is well worth a watch. SQ crops up in a few of the other episodes as well, including the presenter walking on the wing of a brand new SQ 747!
    Thanks for sharing, SQ777! These are really treasurable flim snippets!

Comment

For those with an IG account, Joanday777 has a very rich collection of colourful airline cabin interiors from the past... including SQ 727, 742, 743 cabin photos from the 70s-80s. There are also cabin photos of MSA's comets and the BA/SQ concorde!

Enjoy!

https://www.instagram.com/joanday777/

Comment

Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
        For those with an IG account, Joanday777 has a very rich collection of colourful airline cabin interiors from the past... including SQ 727, 742, 743 cabin photos from the 70s-80s. There are also cabin photos of MSA's comets and the BA/SQ concorde!

Enjoy!

https://www.instagram.com/joanday777/
        Great pics there, thanks for sharing, icn.sg!

Comment

Perhaps not as old and as nostalgic as some of the information that has been posted, but I’ve just been made aware of this website http://www.departedflgihts.com, which have historic flight information, including airport schedules and airlines’ old seats maps. Found a couple of SQ seat maps circa 1996, whereby SQ operates the A310, B747-212, B747-312 and B747-412 series. The 777 have yet to arrive, and I can’t remember if the A340-300E’s have entered service yet. Anyway, here are the seat maps - http://www.departedflights.com/seatingguide2.html

Comment

Originally posted by wlgspotter View Post
            Perhaps not as old and as nostalgic as some of the information that has been posted, but I’ve just been made aware of this website http://www.departedflgihts.com, which have historic flight information, including airport schedules and airlines’ old seats maps. Found a couple of SQ seat maps circa 1996, whereby SQ operates the A310, B747-212, B747-312 and B747-412 series. The 777 have yet to arrive, and I can’t remember if the A340-300E’s have entered service yet. Anyway, here are the seat maps - http://www.departedflights.com/seatingguide2.html
            first link doesn't seem to be working

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil0728 View Post
              first link doesn't seem to be working
              The link http://www.departedflights.com/index.html

While content may not be as nostalgic for av geeks.

It’s super nostalgia for IT geeks. A pure html site based index.html base with no re routing at the root domain

Comment

Originally posted by alian View Post
                The link http://www.departedflights.com/index.html

While content may not be as nostalgic for av geeks.

It’s super nostalgia for IT geeks. A pure html site based index.html base with no re routing at the root domain
                Oops sorry there was a typo in the first link. Thanks @alian for providing the correct link to the site. And yeah it is purely plain and simple HTML...

Comment

Interesting site - the second ever business class flight I took on SQ was a B744 to London in 1996 (the first had been up from Jakarta that morning, probably a B777?) I was on the upper deck, had an aisle seat. Very impressed by the service having BA and KLM as my previous yardsticks(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
                    Interesting site - the second ever business class flight I took on SQ was a B744 to London in 1996 (the first had been up from Jakarta that morning, probably a B777?) I was on the upper deck, had an aisle seat. Very impressed by the service having BA and KLM as my previous yardsticks(!)
                    SQ's first B777 (9V-SQA) was delivered in May 1997. So perhaps it was an A310 or A343?
                    Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
                      Were they the Ultimo seats or did they come later?

I remember flying the old Megatops in 1999 when they used to serve champagne in Y!

Comment

Originally posted by SQ777 View Post
                        Were they the Ultimo seats or did they come later?

I remember flying the old Megatops in 1999 when they used to serve champagne in Y!
                        The 'Ultimo' seat was introduced in 1998.
                        Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
                          The 'Ultimo' seat was introduced in 1998.
                          The first batch of 744s came with these J seats. The seats were later reupholstered with the same 'light blue wave" covers found on the first batch of 777-200s and A343s. The Ultimo seats were progressively installed in all 744s after 1998.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
                            SQ's first B777 (9V-SQA) was delivered in May 1997. So perhaps it was an A310 or A343?
                            I think your knowledge is better than my rusty memory!

Comment

Kallang Airport

I headed for a run from the East to the City yesterday, but rather than run along East Coast Park, I decided to retrace the old route, along East Coast Road, Mountbatten Road and Nicoll Highway. Along the way, I passed the old Kallang Airport.

Here are some pictures of the iconic old terminal as it stands now, taken yesterday (16 August 2020).

As a structure, it still looks to be in good shape, although it has not yet been redeveloped...

This was Singapore's main airport terminal from 1937 to 1955. An art-deco terminal design, which was visited by the likes of Amelia Earheart in the late 1930's.

Perhaps once we are out of this COVID-19 crisis, we will see some redevelopment of this site in a way that recognises its history and significance.

Comment

Believed the old Kallang airport building was used by the People's Association likely for some years. It should be a gazetted as a historical place and will be preserved along with any new development.

Comment

Working...
                                X