Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LampStack View Post
    Thanks for the help!

About how much would I expect to pay for this trip, just out of curiosity?

I am trying to get a sense of what my expenses will be in Singapore.
    *edit*

I misread your question as "how much would I expect to pay for this MEAL" sorry : ]

Yeah, I agree with what Man Flyer mentioned.
    Last edited by concept|infinit; 29 December 2008, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the help!

About how much would I expect to pay for this trip, just out of curiosity?

I am trying to get a sense of what my expenses will be in Singapore.
      About SGD 15-20 as long as it's not in peak period.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
        About SGD 15-20 as long as it's not in peak period.
        Peak period means around 5-8pm daily except weekends. Thats when you'd pay 50% more of the total fare, plus toll charges. So you'd be spending close to $30 to head out west for a $5 plate of noodles?

BTW, what is the easiest or fastest way to get from my hotel (Conrad) in the Marina area to Changi Village?
        OMG ! From Conrad you want to go alllllll the waaaaaay to Changi Village when there are other lovely food places nearer?

Like Bedok, Marine parade, Geylang, Katong, Chinatown (of which there are too many to count), Commonwealth, Holland Village, Toa Payoh, Ang Mo Kio, Bishan...

Basicallly there are hawker places everywhere in Singapore! Try this site to check out what you'd like: http://www.makantime.com/

To each their own tastes... start with a food court, and move your way up there. Best is if you have some friends who'd meet up with you and take you around...! The fun in having food is to be amongst friends, having a laugh, a beer and just enjoying yourself!
        Last edited by Guy Betsy; 28 December 2008, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
          OMG ! From Conrad you want to go alllllll the waaaaaay to Changi Village when there are other lovely food places nearer?

Like Bedok, Marine parade, Geylang, Katong, Chinatown (of which there are too many to count), Commonwealth, Holland Village, Toa Payoh, Ang Mo Kio, Bishan...

Basicallly there are hawker places everywhere in Singapore! Try this site to check out what you'd like: http://www.makantime.com/

To each their own tastes... start with a food court, and move your way up there. Best is if you have some friends who'd meet up with you and take you around...! The fun in having food is to be amongst friends, having a laugh, a beer and just enjoying yourself!
          Have to agree with Guy Betsy here. Changi Village is more a place to go when you're near the airport or on the east coast....but Singapore has so many great hawkers and local coffeeshops everywhere!
          Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post

I see that you are right, no need to go so far.

Thanks for the link, the site is terrific!
            (best chicken rice - IBM Towers 2nd floor food court... or in the top 10 places at least)

BTW, taxi prices seem to be a bit more in Singapore than I am used to in Hong Kong. Is this the case, or am I missing something here?
            Last edited by LampStack; 29 December 2008, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Which hotels are the closest to the Maxwell Road Food Center? St. Regis? Grand Hyatt?
              HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                Which hotels are the closest to the Maxwell Road Food Center? St. Regis? Grand Hyatt?
                Amara Hotel...
                This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                  Surprised that no one has yet to talk about the Hill Street Tai Wah Pork Noodles (Crawford Place - Across the canal from SIR building)
                  This is good but a tad expensive. And the queues are so long during proper meal times.

Comment

I am surprised no Singaporean have written something about what to expect for a first time visitor to a local hawker centre.... well here it is....

If you are going into a hawker centre within the CBD, especially during lunch hours (1200-1400 hours), watch out for empty table/seats that have packets of tissues or umbrellas or plastic bags place on them. It means the seats are "choped" or taken or reserved..... don't sit on them, some mid-aged office lady will give you an earful if you take away their seats....

Walking into a hawker centre during lunch hours, you will probably find most seats occupied, do not worry, look out for those who are nearly completing their meals, and then stand beside the table, showing your intentions that you want the table after they are finished... most likely, they will eat the last bit up in double quick time. For those who engaged in after lunch talk, you and your companions can and do please stand around the table talking, passing your own remarks to embarass those sitting down to make a quick exit.

Once you have your table, you will again find that the table will be messy with the remnants of the last occupants, just wait patiently and an auntie will come round cleaning the table for you. Please do give them a smile and say thank you (I always do), but no tipping required........

To order your food, remember to place a packet of tissue to signify that your seat is taken, or ask your companions to go queue at the stalls you want to purchase from. Normally, hawkers centre stalls practises self service, i.e., you queue, when come to your turn, you wait for the food to be cooked, you carry them back to your table. While someone queue, someone have to be seated at the table to guard the seats, where you will find that there will be lurkers coming and asking, "gotch seat or not!!??"...

When ordering from a drinks stall, here are some common terms;

Kopi O (Ko Pee Oo) - means black coffee with sugar
                    Kopi O siew tai - means black coffee with less sugar
                    Kopi - would mean coffee with evaporated milk
                    Kopi peng - ice coffee with evaporated milk, add the words "siew tai" after means less sugar
                    Kopi Si - coffee with condensed milk
                    Kopi kosong - just black coffee with nothing added

If you want it to be sweeter, "kar tai" are the words to use.

So if I order ice coffee with condensed milk with less sugar, then it would be;

"Kopi-Si peng siew tai"

For tea, use the word "Teh", instead of "kopi"......

For chinese tea, it would be "Dio Hu", hokkien term for fishing. Chinese tea comes in a bag and the action of dipping the tea bag up and down resemble fishing......

Hawker centres will also reveal the status of a couple.......

Just observe, .....

When a couple sit down at a hawker centre, if it is the guy who stands up to go get the food, the couple are dating. If the gal go get the food, they have to be husband and wife.....

If you eavesdrop, a huband/wife conversation at the table when they sit down you will probably hear;

Wife: each wat?
                    Husband: chin chye lor.....
                    Wife: Hiyah, each wat lah, how to buy chin chye....
                    Husband: ok lah ok lah,,... each cheetken lice......

This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                      Amara Hotel...
                      Is this on the same level as the St. Regis? How far is the SR from Maxwell? How far is the Hyatt to there?
                      HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                        Is this on the same level as the St. Regis? How far is the SR from Maxwell? How far is the Hyatt to there?
                        Amara is not on the same level as St Regis. There are some boutique hotels nearby such as Majestic Hotel.

Both are a good 15min drive away.

Comment

I am surprised no Singaporean have written something about what to expect for a first time visitor to a local hawker centre.... well here it is....

If you are going into a hawker centre within the CBD, especially during lunch hours (1200-1400 hours), watch out for empty table/seats that have packets of tissues or umbrellas or plastic bags place on them. It means the seats are "choped" or taken or reserved..... don't sit on them, some mid-aged office lady will give you an earful if you take away their seats....

Kopi peng - ice coffee with evaporated milk, add the words "siew tai" after means less sugar

"Kopi-Si peng siew tai"

For chinese tea, it would be "Dio Hu", hokkien term for fishing. Chinese tea comes in a bag and the action of dipping the tea bag up and down resemble fishing......

Hawker centres will also reveal the status of a couple.......

Just observe, .....
                          Wow, an entire protocol for navigating the hawker food centers!

Thanks for the low down. I had no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
                            Amara is not on the same level as St Regis. There are some boutique hotels nearby such as Majestic Hotel.

Thanks, SJJ!
                            HUGE AL

Comment

"Kopi-Si peng siew tai"

Fabulous info kapitan
                              Just to add:
                              Kopi Swa: 2 cups of coffee
                              Kopi Gao: stronger coffee

All applicable to 'teh', Milo and Horlicks as well

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post

HUGE AL, similar SR level hotels that are nearer to Maxwell would be MO, Fullerton, RC at the Marina Bay area. These are about 1/2 the distance.

Comment

Working...
                                X