Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At last, they've FINALLY seen the light..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At last, they've FINALLY seen the light..

The Vietnamese have finally grasped, or at least someone of them must have, that the 'great financial result' in getting people to pay for visa's is completely outweighed by the lack of repeat visitors and also VN being unable to get pax to fly them in big numbers, and stop over, on the Kangaroo route. A number of people I know asked me about flying VN and visiting Vietnam when VN started flying to the UK but as soon as I pointed out they needed a visa to stop over they carried on flying SQ, BA, CX, TG etc...

However, in typical VN-government-still-doesn't-get-it style, they are only lifting the restriction for a year. Gotta love 'em.

On 22 June 2015, the Embassy received the formal notification that the Government of Viet Nam decided to exempt visa for British, German, French, Spanish and Italian citizens travelling to Viet Nam (for all purposes) for a period of up to 15 days, and on the basis of meeting all conditions prescribed by Vietnamese laws.

The visa exemption period will start from 1 July 2015 and end on 30 June 2016.

(Note: According to Vietnam immigration law, to be eligible for visa exemption, your passport must have at least six months validity. If you wish to enter Viet Nam at least two consecutive times without visa, the next entry must be at least 30 days after the previous exit. If you enter Viet Nam the first time with visa, then the next entry without visa can be less than 30 days after your previous exit).

The Embassy will process visa applications based on the information provided on the application forms only. Applicants are responsible for providing the correct information (including date of entry and duration of stay). Visa fee will not be refundable if the visa is issued based on incorrect information provided by the applicants.

Also, please note that visa fee will not be refundable if you have already submitted at the Embassy, or the post reached the Embassy or you received confirmation email.

Refund of visa fee is not applicable for applications with duration of stay up to 15 days, which have been processed by 19 June 2015.

Thank you.
    http://vietnamembassy.org.uk/index.p...n=p&ct=Notice2
    Last edited by MAN Flyer; 1 July 2015, 02:53 PM.

Let's leave aside for a moment the "more vietnamese want to live and work in Milan than Germans want to live and work in Hanoi" argument for a second,

But the schengen zone doesn't look too friendly to Vietnamese passport holders does it?

Petty as it sounds, it seemed pretty tit for tat to me in the past.

At some stage, somebody's got to lower their guns first in a standoff - and seems to me that it's Vietnam. The one year exemption period as opposed to "forever" is LIKELY meant to imply "alright, my gun is down, you put yours down too" Let's see if Europe reciprocates

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
      But the schengen zone doesn't look too friendly to Vietnamese passport holders does it?

Petty as it sounds, it seemed pretty tit for tat to me in the past.

At some stage, somebody's got to lower their guns first in a standoff - and seems to me that it's Vietnam. The one year exemption period as opposed to "forever" is LIKELY meant to imply "alright, my gun is down, you put yours down too" Let's see if Europe reciprocates
      No it isn't, but the key difference is the Vietnamese tourism authorities and VN spend a lot of money advertising in the UK (and Germany and elsewhere) trying to get people to visit their country and fly their national airline, thus spending lots of welcome money in their developing country. Then people find out they need to send off and pay for a visa to go there, and it ends there for many as some human being are rather lazy individuals believe it or not. And even though some do obviously bother to apply so they can visit, virtually none of them bother to do it again according to the figures.

On the flip side of this there is no advertising campaign I am aware of by the UK (or German and elsewhere) authorities trying to get Vietnamese to visit the UK. There is enough of them here already without needing to advertise!!.

I would not hold my breath for a reciprocal move by the UK authorities.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
        I would not hold my breath for a reciprocal move by the UK authorities.
        I concur.

In hindsight, as cheeky as I think it was for the UK to opt out of the schengen travel area agreement from the outset - as time goes by it's looking more and more like a masterstroke.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
          I
          In hindsight, as cheeky as I think it was for the UK to opt out of the schengen travel area agreement from the outset - as time goes by it's looking more and more like a masterstroke.
          I think a better desciption would be 'smart', and even that pales in comparison to the decision to stay out of the Euro!!.

Comment

I doubt this will ever occur for the USA...
            HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
            X