Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Finally Finished!] Kyo Does The Land Of The Midnight Sun (aka Kyo Visits Norway)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My sincerest apologies for the delay in completing this TR. Christmas travel has pretty much taken a priority, but will try to finish this off early next week before New Year travel takes over! Thanks to all for the encouragement - will reply your comments later on..

Comment

Great report.. looking forward to the wrap up!

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
        Direction ships face depend on the tide..

Use to sail
        Sorry, actually ships at anchor heads into the current, (not tide).....

In the context of Singapore Straits, flooding current is from east to west, while ebbing is west to east.... i.e. flooding is from South China Sea towards Malacca Straits and vice versa.... in the picture taken, the ships were heading in easterly direction and therefore tide is coming in....

Ships with high freeboard, like car carriers may not be exactly in the same direction as such ships are also affected by the wind.
        This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Great report so far Kyo. I am just concerned about your calories intake - but as you said: such wide choice so little time... Speaking of which, I am trying to resist these days from all the culinary temptations of Italy.

I look forward to the photos of Norway!

Will try and organize an SQtalk Culinary Gathering to celebrate 2010 as soon as I am back in SIN, but I do fear you will be a difficult "customer" to please

Comment

Of Prawn Noodle Soup, Chicken Kiev... and Satay

With our four-engined Golden Goose at full thrust hurtling towards Heathrow, 13-odd hours of SQ F deliciousness would eventually be over, but an hour's break (OK, maybe five) was needed to recover from the copious calories consumed.

Suffice to say - I had to exhale as much as I could to take this photo

As you can see, SQ pyjamas work better on the likes of jjpb3. Your mileage may vary.

Those observant enough will note that I am indeed lying straight down horizontally on the right of the seat, where the footwell is located. To all the naysayers, unless you're rather tall (1.74m here), you won't find this much of an issue. The issue (that you cannot see in this picture, or indeed from any shots of this F product) is that there happens to be a hard bar of some sort (I believe it to be metal) inside the seat that digs into your spine. The blanket does nothing in this regard to relieve this pressure between the seat bottom and the back of the seat when lying down horizontally. Ultimately, there are five 'separated elements', if you will, to this particular Diamond Plus configuration - these being: the foremost footwell connected to the seat in front, the actual bendable footrest, the leg rest, the seat bottom and the back of the seat.

I took observed the view of the F cabin in relation to my seat.

INSERT PANORAMA PICTURE HERE (coming later)
            Panorama of the F cabin - Without a fisheye!

Just two random (and extremely picky) thoughts of the F seat while I'm at it...

The remote is a sophisticated dark grey - The backlight, however, can be rather harsh in a darkened cabin, and it can't be dimmed

The table-slide handle - I'm a little at odds with, I still prefer the 744's, as the angle seemed more suitable for 'grabbing' when leaning forward

Anyway, enough babbling about the cabin - time was running out and we had to turn our attention to more pressing matters. Such as a light snack.

Well, blow me over (just kidding, that won't be easy!) - The gluttony continues with this unfortunate bowl of F Prawn Noodle Soup

Followed by a quick visit to the...

... F lavatory- There have been many pictures taken of this, but this time (dare I say it? Of course...) with a more practical context

With the F lavatory certifiably unfit for use for the next half an hour (fortunately, I do recall there being two but do correct me if I'm wrong), I decided to put the hard yards in and go for glory... while I still had time!?

I looked out my window - As if it would provide me bearings to establish where I were (sorry, couldn't help the tongue-in-cheek poke at the new USA regulations). Those fields unfortunately didn't look familiar to me.

Hoping for some sort of sign, a quick check at the 23" flightmap revealed -

that we were heading directly towards Kiev! Home of Chicken Kiev!

(but OF COURSE!)

And I promptly decided that I had all the divine validation I was seeking. So with one-third of the flight remaining, I mustered every ounce of determination I could and got down to work.

This particular fellow - graciously offered to lend his voice to accompany my herculean task ahead

We begin with a throwback to that eternal SQTalk favourite, satay. Those who've paid attention may recall the "what's new / what's different" Satay challenge laid down once upon a time by SQflyergirl. Whilst careful observation and debate about the presentation and role played by satay will forever continue, perhaps none would disagree with an increase to the quantity of satay served. I urge all and sundry to rally behind a cry for "Six pieces of satay for F and J, please!"

Satay by candlelig- err... - in darkness, with personal lighting

The green kebaya promptly cleared the satay after I was done (1 minute, I believe) and laid the table for the meal ahead, and I opened the window shades. Thumbs up to her - she took good care of the F pax (mostly by herself).

For the eagle-eyed - Those pineapple cookies are airflown direct from one of the best (imho) Nonya handmade-cookie-baking outlets in Katong for delivery to our gracious Norwegian host, RennyBA

I was later informed the cookies were later consumed with much appreciation in Sweden by RennyBA +1.

Now, let's move on to our next course - one that warms the cockles of my heart and recesses of my stomach: Caviar
            Last edited by Kyo; 29 December 2009, 12:10 PM.

Comment

The Joy of Caviar

Throughout all my travels, I hereby posit that whilst some starters may hit the mark, there are almost as many that also disappoint. Whatever is served, from satay to lobster - I'm glad to say that one remains ever-faithful and always rises to the occasion: Caviar.

And it is with this post, that I dedicate our affection for this ever-tasty and unassuming morsel.

May I humbly present:

Kyo's Guide To Eating Caviar in SQ F *

Pre-consumption Notice: Kyo suggests that one should allow oneself thirty (30) minutes for caviar consumption prior to further courses for maximum enjoyment.

Step 1 - Ensure that all utensils and ingredients are laid out in a proper manner befitting the class of travel. Note the accompanying shotglass of vodka, which is optional, but recommended.

Do note: A faux pass is committed in this example, unfortunately - a metal spoon (not pictured) is used in place of a mother-of-pearl spoon. In this example, I left mine at home, however you may obtain your own specially designed utensil made out of mother-of-pearl relatively inexpensively in the Maldives. Incidentally, the flight there may prove slightly problematic for some.

Step 2 - If/where possible, allow natural lighting inside and do try not to disturb your fellow passengers.

At all times, be careful to not let the product rest for an indefinite period of time.

Step 3 - Inspect the product.

Step 4 - Lean in. Observe it closely. Generally, the renowned brands to go for in the world of caviar are Oscietra or Petrosian. I shall not go into the intricacies of Malossol for the purposes of this TR, but generally I interpret it as meaning: lightly salted (which I happen to prefer).

Step 5 - Place ingredients onto accompanying toast in a pleasing manner.

Step 6 - Concentrate and lift slice of toast to mouth.

Step 7 - Both pupils should be dilated in the moment prior to consumption.

Step 8 - You are now in a happy place. Savour each pearl bursting. Then two pearls bursting at once. Three, four... etc... you get the idea. Contrast each burst with the accompany crunch of the crispy slice of toast.

Step 9 - Do not waste.

Step 10 - Enjoy the view.

Step 11 - Finally, only if available, proceed to obtain a second serving.

Step 12 - Continue to enjoy the view some more. Life is good. You're eating caviar in SQ F at 36,000 ft in the air, what else could you want?

*This guide should in no way be construed as definitive. Kyo shall not be liable for any stomach discomfort, indigestion and ill side effects up to and including any fatal effects from over-consumption of caviar. This guide is a recommendation only and any method of consumption is up to the individual concerned.

Okay - Back to reality in the next updates, including our arrival into London. Stay tuned...
              Last edited by Kyo; 28 December 2009, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Most delicious caviar I've ever read .

Look forward to rest of TR

Comment

Wooow Kyo, I'm almost speechless! Not only are you a globetrotter and a gourmet master, but your also an excellent reporter. Reading your detailed description and direction made with dedication and passion is a sensation for your palette.
                  I should not be surprised though; since having you as a guest in Oslo was such a pleasure and I noticed how you enjoyed our food and explored the city with great interests!

Yes, my wife and I eat the pineapple cookies in Sweden and I never forget that unique and special taste!

Btw: I do hope you can make it to the Oslo Blog Gathering in August next year! There are still more food for you to try (specially seafood) and places to explore you know :-)

Comment

Mainly of Chilli crab... and London

The highlight of the flight of course being the caviar consumed, I'd decided to opt for the local Singaporean speciality of Chilli Crab as my main course. The idea of grappling with a crustacean whilst 36,000-odd feet in the air in an F cabin seemed rather an unusual choice, not least because it is known to be an especially messy experience even on the ground.

The presentation was immaculate and was served pleasantly. Please note, there will be no eating guide for this dish. You are on your own!

Let us begin.

Kyo + Rather Unflattering Bib - Paris Fashion Week here I come! To be fair, the bib ended up having two chilli stains post-meal (an outright mess was deftly avoided), so it did do its job!

From my perspective - Who woulda thunk it? Pre-cracked crab pieces in chilli sauce on a 77W in an F cabin, with a side of two mantous and some steamed rice?!

Let us magnify that claw... definitely smaller than stargold's monstrous lobster claw:

Crab Claw - The size if the claw seems to be a bit tinier in comparison to the ones you get on the ground, but at least they tried

I needed no further invitation and promptly began the dismembering process. I'm pleased to say the crab was sweet and succulent and although there were moments of 'claw flying across F cabin' danger, these ultimately proved unfounded. I had a bite of the mantou, and it was good and not greasy as some outlets on land are wont to serve. The rice was avoided as I was well and truly stuffed.

The 'after' shot - Forensic science would suggest carnage and they would not be far wrong

I stowed the bib in a safe spot. Being my first in-flight Chilli Crab experience, 'sentimental value' status was bestowed onto the bib and to this day, it has its own special place in TKL (The Kyo Lounge).

Chilli Crab Bib - Finally at rest

Dessert ultimately followed.

Ginseng / Chinese Herbal Jelly - This was almost medicinal and the first time I've encountered a dessert *too* authentic for me (might be a bit heavy for Western palates, honestly)

Once again, I'll re-update with the proper names later on (need to dig out that menu!)

I'll say it again: That ginseng jelly was rather strong. A bit of grass jelly, something crunch (chestnut?) and goodness knows what - with a very strong ginseng taste throughout. I happen to like ginseng, but I found it a tad difficult to enjoy.

I decided to stop the culinary fiesta there and instead leaned back to enjoy the view of the last two to three hours.

TR Trivia time: Along the way we passed by an airport that I recall seeing a photo of in someone else's thread (but I forget who)... here it is, so guess which airport this is?

Mystery Airport - Can't say I'm too familiar with European airports, hopefully I'll get to visit this one sometime in the future

Before long, the LSS came by to distribute these funky little things...

Neon Purple Fast Track - For when you feel the Need for Speed

I decided to quickly take a quick walk into the J cabin before we flew over the UK. Upon whipping out my Canon Ixus 980IS (the photos in this TR are taken with this little camera), the one of the stewards came over to comment they had never seen this particular model and I had a great little chat with him about photography. I don't profess to be an expert in this area (certainly I don't even use an DSLR, but am interested enough in M4/3 etc) but the steward did know about B&H, Adorama and all the relevant lingo and it turns out he was really into bird photography but not quite an ornithologist. I guess I'm sidetracking but no doubt N_Architect and all the other budding photographers on this website (seems to be just about everyone!) would have gotten more out of this conversation than I did...

Oh, back to the J cabin - he willingly obliged to take a photo of me

Kyo in a 77W J seat - This seat wasn't too bad, it was in the forward mini cabin and most seats in J seemed unoccupied

What isn't pictured here is the middle seats which I also tried. I quickly came to the conclusion that sitting diagonally really isn't ideal and I'd prefer to sleep straight in the direction the plane is travelling.

I hastily returned to my seat and for no reason at all, decided to take a photo of this little cushion/handrest common to the 77W F seats as they are very wide seats indeed.

All too soon we began our descent over the UK landmass and I managed to snag a shot of...

Dover? - Don't see any white cliffs!

Followed almost immediately by olde London town...

... and the Thames - On a bright sunny day

Whereupon I zoomed in and took another non-DSLR quality shot of a few of London's most famous bridges

London Bridge - In the centre, a rather unassuming bridge, often confused with the Tower Bridge and my favourite British building from the UK Apprentice, the Gherkin (wished I could peek through the windows into Sir Alan's office)

Thanks for reading so far, still more to come and we haven't even reached Norway yet!

Next instalment: Landing at Heathrow... and a mini-LON meet!

Comment

Excellent stuff mate - enjoyed the caviar debauchery! Good for you for getting a second plate! Really, at that point what more could you want? err... don't answer that!
                      blog

Comment

Arrival Into London

The best bit about sitting in 2F is my appetite for voyeurism from above with various famous landmarks of London was satiated.

Houses of Parliament - Top left-hand corner

The London Eye at the centre - The Houses of Parliament below-left, I spent almost 2 days covering this area in 2008!

Buckingham Palace - With its wee little park

After a little more flying, I spotted a building that I vaguely recall seeing in either a documentary or a TV show, can anyone enlighten me as to what it is / what purpose it serves?

Glass Dome? - Spent hours trawling through Google Maps, but can't figure this one out!

One last shot before we land at LHR.

View from the wings - Dedicated to jjpb3

Clear skies over Heathrow - Sun and blue skies, in stark contrast to my previous visit in Dec '08!

We've docked at our gate - It's the farthest one!

Thanked the crew and said goodbye to that avid steward cum part-time photographer, and was last in F to disembark. Carrying 3 items of luggage does not simplify matters...

Down we go, past immigration to Customs, and into the hive of activity characterising Heathrow and I make my way down to Platform 2. The last time I was here, I didn't get to use the HEX despite booking F tix (I've ranted about that elsewhere on this site, so I won't go into it again)... I made sure not to board the...

...Heathrow Connect - Not the right ticket!

Instead, I wait for the HEX (Heathrow Express) and sure enough, after a couple of minutes, it arrives:

HEX - Finally! And with blue glowing lights below too!

The HEX is fast, and quite comfortable, although not altogether the most spacious and comfortable train seat I've ever encountered (that accolade goes to the Japanese shinkansen Green Carriage between Kyoto and Kobe, incidentally, and on-par to some airline's J/F seats). Conveniently, I also showed the conductor a barcode that was sent to my Blackberry, that he was able to scan into his machine. Now that's interesting!

The sound of silence - I'm seated in the Quiet Zone, as luck would have it! And all passengers made sure to keep really quiet...

Speeding into London - Once again, a beautiful day to be in London ahead!

Next instalment: 22 Hours In London

Comment

22 Hours In London (Part 1)

The HEX arrived in 15 mins flat at good old Paddington. That's nice and quick! I quite like it and will probably have no qualms using it again. It's certainly faster than the 45-minute bus ride that we were substituted with in '08...

Vaulted Ceilings - Under which the peak hour crowd prepares to commute home...

I head out and see a familiar sight. The same taxi rank I used in my first visit to London in the pitch of night a year before.

London Cabs - Gotta love 'em!

A fifteen-minute ride later, and I've arrived at my base for this overnighter... a cheap bargain through Hilton's Visa Summer Savings promotion meant I got a room for only GBP89.24 (sans tax)! Nice location as it's quite near the Westfield London and Shepherds Bush tube station (direct line into the heart of the city).

Hilton London Kensington - Brings me back memories of my penultimate night before turning HH Gold

Shepherds Bush roundabout - You can't see it clearly, but that ad is from our favourite airline and says 'Recession? Rise above it. Better for business SALE'

I found it higly ironic that they couldn't take some of their own advice!

Well, a dinner appointment had been made, but before that, a quick stop by Bond St to purchase some very specific toiletry items. And lo and behold, we bump into SQflyergirl who's also heading to the same dinner! Fancy that! (no pic, this time)

Sunset over Bond Street- It's rush hour!

After picking up only one item (it seems the shampoo and conditioner I had come for is always eluding me!!) - some rose hand cream from M&S, we made our way to our dinner date for this evening with some SQTalk celebrities...

Market - at Camden serves modern Brit cuisine

In attendance: Kyo, SQflyergirl, jjpb3, stargold, nickbot (who I'm told endured a long train journey down to London just for the event)

The Menu - Everything sounds so tempting!

Despite the feast onboard earlier, despite jet-lag, and despite the fact that my calories were well through the stratosphere by now, I doggedly persevered despite droopy eyelids and a couple of yawns for my second lunch-dinner-supper of the day

Kyo's Choice - Partridge (delicious but quite pink - and I was warned in advance by the waiter, in all fairness, that it was meant to be eaten that way), Lentils & Potato Cake

Devilled Kidneys - AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS *groans*

Photos of what else was ordered...

Old Spot Pork Belly - With mash, spinach, apple sauce

Onglet - With fries and aioli. And arm of our dear friend who's probably holding a rifle somewhere...

At this point, I seem to have been too engrossed in conversation to continue taking more photos. In fact, some of the other attendees might have forgotten to send over the rest... *hint hint, looking at you, SQfg, hehehe*

It's always great to meet up with members of our little community and I'm sure I'm not the only one that finds it's half the reason why we travel! Aren't we lucky enough to have a hobby, a passion that allows more often than most opportunities to catch up and meet each other? Much kudos to everyone who made the effort turning up!

One last photo post-dinner of an interestingly-named pub in Camden as we headed off to find another special guest who'd just flown in themselves!

The World's End - Had to take this just because of the name! What a great title for a disaster movie, let alone a pub!

Next instalment: Final Hours In London

Comment

Nice photos!! Sitting in the office now waiting for lunch to arrive... and I am starving!!
                            God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

22 Hours In London (Part 2)

After a few drinks we met up with a VIP-who-shall-remain-unnamed and had a couple more drinks, before I decided to crash and call it a night. Much chin-wagging fun was had, but I had been planning something special the following early morning so that I could still reach Heathrow by 11am, for a check-in two hours prior to my SK flight to OSL at 1pm. Furthermore, this was the day that I expected to be the most taxing since I was finally due in Norway.

You see, I had been planning a 'pilgrimage', if you will, to a particular landmark in London that I'd missed the previous year (due to the Significant Other having no interest)... yes, I'm a Blues fan and as any Blues supporter will attest to, visiting Stamford Bridge is an absolute must.

For those who don't follow the football, I'm referring to Chelsea Football Club.

At the crack of dawn (not really), I dashed over to Shepherds Bush roundabout to begin my journey that I'd been dreaming of ever since I'd begun following Chelsea (back in the mid-90s, gosh that sounds old...) - to visit 'The Bridge'.

Along the way, I took the opportunity to snap a quick shot of Westfield London.

Westfield London - On the right of the roundabout...

Shepherds Bush - Quite modern, nice design

A few stops to the East, and a transit at Notting Hill Gate station

Notting Hill Gate - Well, it's got its charm, but it's a far cry from the impression one gets of Notting Hill in the Hugh Grant film

And we arrive at the Fulham Broadway station. Yep, we're only a few minutes walk away, but I managed to somehow get really lost and ended up taking 20 minutes to find the stadium.

Fulham Broadway - Minutes away from Stamford Bridge

Already there is a notice advising people that - Chelsea Are At Home

Stamford Bridge - Yes, I have finally fulfilled my 'pilgrimage'!

Right hand man - I even joined the team for a group shot...

I missed the tour - Because nobody gives tours at 8:45AM apparently...

One last shot - And it's back to Kensington to pack up for Oslo

I made my way on the HEX back to Heathrow, and soon enough arrived at the terminal.

Terminal 3 - Where SK departs

Welcome - Wonder what's in here, then?

It's Singapore Airlines and Virgin!

SQ check-in counters - I had only transited through LHR previously, so it was my first time seeing these counters (sorry for the poor picture quality)

Next instalment: Departure from LHR

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post

Buckingham Palace - With its wee little park
                                Oh yes. Had one of the most bizarre days of my life in there a few years back, when I got invited to the Queens Garden Party there!. Me and the girlfriend just kept smiling and saying 'what on earth are we doing here?'. We were the youngest there, great fun.

After a little more flying, I spotted a building that I vaguely recall seeing in either a documentary or a TV show, can anyone enlighten me as to what it is / what purpose it serves?

Glass Dome? - Spent hours trawling through Google Maps, but can't figure this one out!
                                That's the Royal Albert Hall:

http://www.royalalberthall.com/about/default.aspx

Comment

Working...
                                X