Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Finally Finished!] Kyo Does The Land Of The Midnight Sun (aka Kyo Visits Norway)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude! Too funny!

Did anybody congratulate you on your LPP???

HUGE AL

Comment

Update: 2nd post completed (back on Page 1)

SQJunkie: No, unfortunately I didn't manage to finish every order - because I just couldn't bring myself to order some dishes I had clearly no appetite for, like the Thai Mango Salad. I'm not a fan of this sour salad, and I don't order it even when I do my bi-monthly jaunts to BKK... but I can confidently say I ordered (and finished) everything that looked even mildly appetising. If I didn't have any intention to finish the food, I didn't order it as I really hate wastage... thanks for your comments and I hope one day we can all feast together (and not just at TPR!)

calvinoeh: *burp*, that's why I came in one day early - but it was for research purposes, honest!

jjpb3: An honour to have you reading along... please enjoy!

UMD: Relax, this time, I will not put every post on the first page (it takes way too long to load, as I'd found on my previous TRs like the Austria one...) - I'll space it out and hopefully put an Index in the starting post later on when the whole thing is complete! Now the difficult part is... completing! As for the answer to your question... Kyo and Kyo+'s hunger is infinitely matched by his curiosity!

jhm: You'll be waiting a long time, as the staff (one member in particular, who still recognised me a few weeks ago before I left for PEK) smiled knowingly - I choose not to take a photo of her, as that would be infringing on their privacy

Paint Horse: Thanks for reading along... that burger sounds like a fusion of French and American gastronomy simultaneously!

Pinkfloyd: To each their own! Great to have met you finally! Still can't believe I flew to Norway and you flew to Singapore at the same time...

Chris: Such is the sacrifice I have pledged myself to. Much suffering indeed... 'tis a heavy burden that's mine to bear...

N_Architect: Thanks, hopefully I will finish this sooner rather than later!

KevSQ: Thanks for the encouragement, gonna need it!

Nick C: The pics you see are only the first post. I promise by the end of this TR, more pics of food than of the journey (maybe!) - well, I'll try to be fair, hehe

Kiwi: Thanks, and I wish you'd had that guide sooner!

haf: The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first bite. One should not be daunted.

HUGE AL: You're the first to notice. I used my LPP to congrat UMD on his TPP. This happens to be my 2009th, incidentally!
      Last edited by Kyo; 17 December 2009, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
        HUGE AL: You're the first to notice. I used my LPP to congrat UMD on his TPP. This happens to be my 2009th, incidentally!
        I actually noticed that when it occurred, but thought there was a congrats or reference some place else. And you know I hate redundancy.

again! And please let us know what those benefits are!
        HUGE AL

Comment

#1 - The Private Room
          #2 - Attempt to order everything on the menu (self-proclaimed member of the SQTalk Research Division) whilst maintaining a straight face
          I genuinely thought you were joking when you put this, you loon!.

Keep it coming fella!.

Comment

And we're off to a great start here Kyo+ keep it coming. SQTalk is in for a bumper crop of vintage TR's this winter - (with likely no BA ones )

Comment

SIN-LHR on SQ308 - And We're Off!!

After 6-months of planning (an eternity), we were up in the air in barely forty seconds.

Off to Heathrow - A few minutes later

I looked out the window to observe the view unfold below of Singapore's great importance in the maritime industry. It's easy to see why: Location, location, location - Singapore represents a crossroads between China and Europe, the bottom point of a big 'V' before Western vessels head from Singapore up to Japan.

Here's my favourite photo taken onboard a plane flying out of Changi:

Heading South, South-East- This photo dedicated to our very own kapitan and N_Architect, perhaps one of them can elaborate further about why the ships are all facing in this direction

There's something almost borderline debaucherous about taking into the air on a Monday, otherwise a regular working day, but it is especially significant on an SQ bird, and moreso when in First. For a split second, perhaps a sense of something between regret and pity welled up inside me for those below who will have to contend with another 7 days of traffic and media madness. This sentiment passes all too quickly as I am sure there are many who are also looking forward to the F1; SQTalkers milehighj, haf, Pinkfloyd and 9V-JKL amongst them. Therefore I shall not dwell on this topic.

Ho ho ho. I am tempted to insert a smiley face but I shall refrain in gracious fashion.

I manage to snag a photo of where I live... a wedge of blue jutting into a little lung of green in a sea of concrete (off-centre, a bit below and to the left):

8 Minutes to the airport- In a traffic jam!

PJs were handed out earlier, and they are very welcome on this long-haul. After a leisurely change of clothes and a wee bit of grooming, we're already passing the home of SQflyergirl, who incidentally is a day ahead of me in terms of travel, and also winging her way to join me in OSL! It's at this point I would like to thank my co-conspirator for providing me the menu for this flight the previous night whilst in TPR so that I could plan my 'attack' accordingly.

We'd be over KL - If we were a bit further West

This borderline moroseness earlier was quickly forgotten and soon I felt the first pangs of hunger once again (unbelievable, I know). We were in for a treat. Without further ado, let the feasting commence!

Fruit to start - I prefer mine after the meal, actually

Followed by a cinnamon scroll - This was nice

What's this, an almond danish? - Well, we're going to Europe so I decided to have a slight Continental breakfast twist...

Enough with the filler material! Here comes the heavy hitters...

Chee Cheong Fun - Rice paper rolls with meat (I had to pretend it wasn't pork)

Dim Sum Selection - Delicious, but TOO FEW! C'mon, 4 pieces of dim sum, does not an F course make! Please give at least 8. And a BBQ bun, for those so inclined...

This little fellow was torn - Upon close observation, this looks like it got damaged somewhere in the process, I hope not during preparation... F pax notice the little things, you see

My 'Book the Cook' - Pan-seared Chilean bass with bouillabaisse sauce, capsicum confit, and kalamata olive potato. Highly recommended! Be warned: They do not mention it comes on top of a bed of pasta...

TWG - To wash it all down. I can't recall which it was. Will have to refer to the menu tomorrow/this weekend.

Sorry for the poor descriptions - these will be further updated tomorrow/after I locate the right menu once again!

Comment

Heading South, South-East- This photo dedicated to our very own kapitan and N_Architect, perhaps one of them can elaborate further about why the ships are all facing in this direction
                My uneducated guess is that it's for the same reason why the cars on one side of the road all (usually) face the same direction!

I'm loving the foods pics, Kyo! I'm looking forward to more vicarious gluttony.

4 pieces of dim sum, does not an F course make!
                Exactly! That's enough for just one basket of a dimsum blowout!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                  same reason why the cars on one side of the road all (usually) face the same direction!
                  Not in Taipan USJ malaysia... morons...

But seriously let me fathom a guess...... the wind's swung them around on the pivot the single anchor point is providing?

Comment

Oh! I love quizzes in TRs!

My guess.... maritime traffic rules. The Singapore Port Authority tells these vessels that they have to park in a xxx degree N/S/E/W direction.

They all seemed to be aligned according to a compass point, all pointing in the same direction of a magnetic field.

Do I get a reward (again!) if I'm right?

Comment

Direction ships face depend on the tide..

Use to sail

Comment

Nothing like a 23" screen on board to keep you entertained!

I find it unusual to not mention a bed of pasta served with the fish, but hey, what's wrong with extra food? Nothing! Especially since they skimped on the dim sum.

By the way, you should never have to worry about dwelling on certain topics when you're on a plane. The mind works differently up in the skies! Share your thoughts! We laugh, we sleep, we cry at the most basic films! I cannot be the only one here who suffers from "teary-eyed in-flight movie-syndrome!"
                        blog

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                          Direction ships face depend on the tide..
                          Bingo!

Comment

Great trip report Kyo! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Excellent trip report! Thanks for your effort!

Comment

Great effort!

You may have single handedly increased SQ's food expenditure!

Comment

Working...
                                X