Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Finally Finished!] Kyo Does The Land Of The Midnight Sun (aka Kyo Visits Norway)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Finally Finished!] Kyo Does The Land Of The Midnight Sun (aka Kyo Visits Norway)

A Bit of Background!

This trip comes by way of a crazy thought to 'really get away from it all' way back in March of 2009. Being still early in the year, I decided to go as far away from Singapore as I could possibly imagine to avoid the madness of the Singapore Formula 1. Yes, shock-horror, but SORRY - Kyo does not get excited about road blockages, traffic diversions, extra charges for taxis and exorbitant prices at F&B outlets.

So... I decided to go to Greenland.

*stop/rewind*... GREENLAND?! ("Don't you mean Norway?" I hear you ask..)

Yes. Greenland! Nuuk (the capital city of Greenland), actually.

So with my mind set on Greenland I started to do some research.

I Googled. I calculated.

All sorts of factors were running through my mind...

-to visit at least two countries I'd never been to
    -to transit in London overnight without a stopover to maximise my holiday
    -to catch up with other SQTalkers in London for a bite to eat
    -to once again fly SIN-LHR with SQ in F (this was showing a 744 config back then)
    -to gamble that the 774 would be upgauged to a 388, i.e. gambling for a Suite upgrade
    -to try an airline I'd never tried previously (I settled on Lufthansa rather quickly, inspired by the Mother of all TRs by that famous nickbot - their FCT was the decisive factor)
    -and many, many more that I shall not list for the sake of brevity

It became apparent that the sheer amount of time it would take to get to Nuuk, Greenland and back would see me using almost 4-5 days in travelling time alone. Taking ten days leave from work was simply not going to be an option back in March. It was also necessary to fly with Star Alliance carriers, or not pay much more to get to Nuuk.

And it was this final criteria that sunk the whole Greenland idea.

Flights were not cheap to begin with, costing circa $1000 for the particular flights I wanted and that was ex-Copenhagen or Reykjavik. Why didn't I just go through to Reykjavik and pay Iceland a visit, then? I could have - but there was no award availability for every date I searched on (I also searched other months, just for the heck of it to no avail) so I'd have needed to buy an additional ticket and stop my ticket in London. The budget I'd set for this trip was also fast being eclipsed and that was just on the travelling aspect alone without factoring in shopping, food or accommodation!

Just as a side diversion - if anyone is considering a visit to Greenland, please do yourself a favour and read this nice little summary and save yourself a lot of time/effort (that didn't exist when I was planning this trip)

The solution: Norway

Lots of preparation went on behind the scenes, but lo and behold, the weekend came and I set my plans into motion. The 'To-Do' list by Friday evening was already extensive and growing by the second despite the flight departing only on Monday morning!

Before we even leave the sunny shores of Singapore, we had a few things to check off the 'To-Do' list at Changi itself!

To-Do List at Changi

#1 - The Private Room
    #2 - Attempt to order everything on the menu (self-proclaimed member of the SQTalk Research Division) whilst maintaining a straight face
    #3 - Take pictures of the dining area in TPR and combine to create a photo montage / panorama
    #4 - Spend the night in T2's F Slumberette and live to tell the tale

Whilst I *was* intending to guest alienguy99 into SKL F, who was flying on the Saturday, I felt that checking-in 48 hours prior to departure was a little bit of a stretch (two nights in-Terminal is not my idea of fun before a 10-day European skirmish). So, I checked in at 1300 hours on the Sunday, some 17.5 hours prior to takeoff and another kind SQTalker guested our dear friend inside instead.

#1 - The Private Room (TPR)

The sacred inner sanctum of the monastery that is the rear section of SIN T3's F SKL as most of you know, is reserved only for those flying SQ in F. Whether this is an outrage or not has been debated ad nauseum in another thread on this forum, so I won't go there.

Whilst this wasn't my first time in TPR, it was the first time I had sufficient time to dine here.

Allow me to be your host - Let's start off with a glass of champagne

And since I *really* had sufficient time, I began perusing the menu...

The Private Room's Private Menu - So many possibilities, so little time...

When thinking about the amount of time I had left to departure, and what to eat at what time, I was inspired of the words of the great John F. Kennedy when thinking about the less-desirable items on the menu...

Kyo's slightly-modified pledge:

To eat everything: "Not only because they are easy, but because they are hard"

With a hunger matched only by the fact that it was 2PM, and that I had waited this long before commencing lunch, I began with that perennial SQTalk favourite - the lobster. The common observation of which has been the increasingly shrunken crustacean throughout the course of this year. The waittress even apologised for the small size and suggested I order a second main course (she had no idea...)

Items are pictured in sequence with the menu (various items not pictured include the bog-standard SKL F/J-available soup and one or two other dishes on another SD card that I will only get back next week, my apologies in advance). These were not consumed in order and admittedly yours truly failed to consume all these dishes in one sitting. Not through lack of trying, however.

Baked Lobster with 3 cheeses (Gruyere, Ementhal and Cheddar)[/URL] - Boston Lobster served with fresh chives, asparagus, fresh baby carrot

U.S. Prime Beef Burger with Foie Gras, Rocket Leaf and Fried Quail Egg - Homemade juicy burger in a sesame seed bun

Korean Ginseng Chicken - Ginseng chicken served with Japanese steamed rice, Korean kimchi, Korean chilli paste

Baked Cod Fish with Green Pea & Tomato Mango Confit - Pan roasted cod fish fillet with mashed green peas, mango & tomato confit

Capellini with Wild Mushroom Ragout and Truffle Oil - Angel hair pasta tossed with olive oil and mushroom ragu

Chicken Satay (another SD Card, will be available next week)

Shanghainese Xiao Long Bao (another SD Card, will be available next week)

Dim sum delights - With your choice of tea to go along: Jasmine, Oolong, Pu Er, Chrysanthemum, Green, Fresh Mint Leaf Tea (I choose not to have any tea)

Laksa (this was served next door in the regular SKL F, so I didn't bother to order it this round - but I'll include it later on from another TR)

I did try the Chef Station Special (which is only available from 6PM to 10:45PM, the chef prepares this in the regular F lounge), however.

Beef Brisket - Braised beef brisket with thick hor fun served dry or with soup

I did not bother with the Thai Mango Salad as this doesn't really excite me very much as a BKK regular, sorry...

More to come tomorrow, hopefully...
    Last edited by Kyo; 18 December 2009, 12:12 PM.

12 Hours To Go!

Sunday, as you can tell, was spent mainly making FULL use of TPR. So, that's items #1 and #2 off the checklist. #3 was taking plenty of photos for a montage. Worry not - that's being uploaded (massive file, it's gonna take awhile) and will be posted once done.

I took a shower at TPR. Here's a photo...

TPR shower cubicle - It's pretty, but otherwise standard and there is no difference from the T3 regular SKL F showers, if you're curious

After the shower, I went back to the task at hand and decided to cover the appetisers available at the bar.

TPR Bar Appetisers - On offer tonight, king crab leg with some pickled veges, and very mild tataki of tuna with a few strands of soba

Naturally, some Oreo cheesecake to follow...

Oreo Cheesecake - The cheesecake was more boring than it looks, the coffee was freshly made, and very nice

And what would an SQ F experience be without...

Pralines - It'd be incomplete, that's what...

Feeling extremely bloated, yet strangely pleased with myself, I settled into a chair and surfed the Internet and did a bit more research about Oslo before I trudged my way back to T2's F slumberette for a second shower (I had one previously in TPR, where and prepared for an attempt at a 5-hour sleep. I must say, this is *not* the right way to do it if you need somewhere to crash for the night. Especially not after many, many main courses. I didn't sleep well and I'd highly recommend using the transit hotel, or JetQuay, which is essentially a self-catered hotel, if you will. Plus you get buggy rides! Which you don't, even in SQ F, unless you're TPP or LPP, whereupon you can try your luck in requesting a buggy.

After an uneventful rest, and a rather uncomfortable one (I took the padding off the chair and laid it on the floor), I woke up at 5AM and proceeded to shower and cross terminals back to T3 for breakfast.

Egad! More food!?

Relax... I was saving everything I had for the onboard catering experience, so with GREAT restraint, I only ordered an orange juice and asked for the menu (again, for research purposes) to put up on SQTalk and here it is:

Breakfast at The Private Room - A much more subdued menu

As you can imagine, after 16-odd hours, I was ready to rush onboard the plane, despite another 13-hour flight ahead. I'd had enough of Changi and I'd well and truly buried any further desire to stay in The Private Room for the foreseeable future.

I soon reached the gate (nope, didn't bother to note down which gate) and there was 9V-SWK awaiting my arrival. Beautiful.

9V-SWK - What a beauty

Zoomed in onto 9V-SWK - My ride to London for the next 13 hours!

I was very keen to get onboard to finally get my first taste of the (back-then) much ridiculed 'New' F (aka Diamond Plus).

The moment I'd been waiting for for the better part of half a year had finally arrived!

You know you're in SQ F when you sit down to a hot towel and a glass of choice for SQTalkers in general:

Krug - As KeithMEL will tell you, it's better to drink this on the ground. I reluctantly concur but give me a Bordeaux anyday.

Don't worry, fans of Dom... I made sure to have a few sips inflight (next instalment)

Yours truly in New F - Obligatory shot of Diamond Plus with window shades down (to cut out the glare)

The usual presents were given out - Amenity kits, pjs, slippers, eyemasks, plenty of legroom, really

Large screens! - Hooray! I'd previously only tried the 747-400's F screen, so this was the largest I'd had so far (ticked it off my to-do list)

And we've finally pushed back and are off after passing by a couple of planes on the tarmac including...

The flying 'roo - Yep, the big fella's here! Photo dedicated to KeithMEL...

Stay tuned for the next instalment...
    Last edited by Kyo; 17 December 2009, 02:09 AM.

Comment

#2 - Attempt to order everything on the menu (self-proclaimed member of the SQTalk Research Division) whilst maintaining a straight face
      Kyo, wish I was there in the TPR for this.
      If not to participate, then just to observate (sic).
      The mind boggles and the lips drool.
      I have to ask, did you manage to finish each and every order?
      Or did you have a doggie-bag.

Muchly looking forward to the rest of this TR.
      F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

dang.. .that's A LOT of food for 1 person

Comment

Oooh, a Kyo TR. A rather nice holiday treat.
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Only one placeholder reserved for the continuation of this TR?

We need more! We need more!

By the way, how much can a Kyo and a Kyo+ eat in one sitting?

Comment

I'm waiting for pictures of how the TPR staff reacted as the food binge unfolded!

Comment

I see this will be a fascinating trip report. I look forward to future installments.

However I must ask, from what country's cuisine does

"U.S. Prime Beef Burger with Foie Gras, Rocket Leaf and Fried Quail Egg"

come from?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                  Yes, shock-horror, but SORRY - Kyo does not get excited about road blockages, traffic diversions, extra charges for taxis and exorbitant prices at F&B outlets.
                  While some of us will actually fly back specifically for the above-mentioned!!

PS: Nice meeting up with you the other day.FYI, there was an aircraft metal switch from the 77A to a 773
                  God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

What an effort!

Comment

Great start on this TR. Can't wait to see Norway, as I'll be going there end Jan '10...

Comment

Keep it coming Kyo...

Comment

Awesome TR! Delicious pictures. Oh my. I need a new keyboard now from all the salivating

Comment

Looking forward to the rest of the report. Thanks for the "how to get to" plug.

Comment

Mate you crack me up!! I'm fully just looking at all that food!
                              blog

Comment

Working...
                              X