SIN-FUK-SIN by 772 and Review of Grand Hyatt Fukuoka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
    I should be in Korea in end Aug/Sept. What to eat? What's in season? Is it worth getting to Busan from Seoul?
    Been Korea once. Don't like the place ( foodwise ).

If I go back, it won't be for food but :
    • to stay at Park Hyatt Seoul
    • Visit Panmunjon, the truce village. Grew up watching MASH!
    • See Cheongyecheon, a successful urban renewal project in Seoul

Comment

9V-SIA, another fantastic report~ first was your Pangkor Laut, and now this!
      I'm planning (rather, finalizing) a trip to Japan myself- call me crazy, even the lady at the embassy was so surprised- with my 10 day trip from Sapporo to Nagasaki - I figure its going to be more trains, but less food than your report!

Comment

Thanks to a recommendation from QSG, I stayed in the Richmond Hotel yesterday. I prepaid JPY 9,500 for a deluxe double room for one night. (The HR was JPY 11,500 and JPY 20,000 for the GH.)

The location is superb (much better than the GH) - right in the middle of Tenjin (downtown with all the big stores) and next to hip and trendy Daimyo with its small shops, bars and restaurants. From the airport, it's five stops on the subway to Tenjin station and then a 10-minute straight walk through an underground shopping arcade (past the Mitsukoshi department store etc) with a final 20 metres or so at street level. (Apparently the hotel's location was originally intended as a place to stay for ladies who go to Fukuoka to shop!)

The room (and bathroom) were large (it had a double bed and a sitting area with sofa), modern and came with all the usual amenities (including - for the first time I've ever seen in any hotel - a mobile phone, iPod and iPhone charging cable!).

For my next trip to Fukuoka, I see no reason to stay at the GH (unless Hyatt are running a promotion) - the Richmond is much cheaper and in a much better location.

Comment

Useful to know. Especially with the ¥ so high.

But the website is in Japanese once you leave the home page..

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
            But the website is in Japanese once you leave the home page..
            You can book (like I did) through a site like Rakuten.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
              Thanks to a recommendation from QSG, I stayed in the Richmond Hotel yesterday. I prepaid JPY 9,500 for a deluxe double room for one night. (The HR was JPY 11,500 and JPY 20,000 for the GH.)

The location is superb (much better than the GH) - right in the middle of Tenjin (downtown with all the big stores) and next to hip and trendy Daimyo with its small shops, bars and restaurants. From the airport, it's five stops on the subway to Tenjin station and then a 10-minute straight walk through an underground shopping arcade (past the Mitsukoshi department store etc) with a final 20 metres or so at street level. (Apparently the hotel's location was originally intended as a place to stay for ladies who go to Fukuoka to shop!)

The room (and bathroom) were large (it had a double bed and a sitting area with sofa), modern and came with all the usual amenities (including - for the first time I've ever seen in any hotel - a mobile phone, iPod and iPhone charging cable!).

For my next trip to Fukuoka, I see no reason to stay at the GH (unless Hyatt are running a promotion) - the Richmond is much cheaper and in a much better location.
              ohh thanks for the heads up. Didn't see this hotel when doing my search for hotels in Fukuoka and am currently booked to stay at Canal City Washington Hotel for 2 nights.

Tempted to cancel and book into this one.

Comment

Working...
              X