9V-SQK partially burnt after tow-tug catches fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
    What could be the possible cause of this incident?
    Fire would be my guess.

Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
    Looks like a new beard.

Comment

Yes, it was fire, as MANFlyer pointed out. I stumbled through some raw video that showed fire occurring from this recent event.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post

Managed to photograph 9V-SQK as it was being towed past T3 toward the SIAEC hangar. There was a 'Follow Me' leading the way and an AES Fire Engine and another airport vehicle tailing behind it.
        A fresh coat of paint and she’s as good as new . All jokes aside, damage seems mostly on the outside and while it may take a few weeks, it seems reparable unless SQ really wants to retire her

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
          Yes, it was fire, as MANFlyer pointed out. I stumbled through some raw video that showed fire occurring from this recent event.
          You mean the raw video linked in the very first post of the thread where it was made clear that there had been a fire?

Comment

Originally posted by hviswanathan View Post
            All jokes aside, damage seems mostly on the outside and while it may take a few weeks, it seems reparable unless SQ really wants to retire her
            Yes I tend to agree. It looks worse than it possibly is and much of it appears to be oxidation from the flames on the surface. It was able to be towed with its own landing gear after all.

I don't see why it wouldn't be repaired. Changi's equipment malfunctioned and damaged SQ's plane. Insurers will get involved and if the cost of repairs is less than the value of the entire aircraft, can't see Changi's insurers offering to pay to scrap it. Probably not quite as simple as that but I'm sure the words 'insurance' and 'value' are going to be used a lot in resolving this incident.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
              You mean the raw video linked in the very first post of the thread where it was made clear that there had been a fire?
              Yup. It definitely was fire.

The fact that this aircraft is > 10 years old is a great question you raise on whether they will write the whole thing off (hull loss) or if they're that serious of keeping it if it can be repaired. I hope none of the seats inside got damaged since the poster already said this aircraft had been recently retrofitted.

Comment

Yup. It definitely was fire.

The fact that this aircraft is > 10 years old is a great question you raise on whether they will write the whole thing off (hull loss) or if they're that serious of keeping it if it can be repaired. I hope none of the seats inside got damaged since the poster already said this aircraft had been recently retrofitted.
                Thank you for clearing up my confusion again. I keep somehow thinking it's black spray paint in that photo after the plane was set upon by a mob of angry graffiti vandals who somehow got access to the Changi runway.

Yes, I really do hope none of the 2006 ex-77W Y seats got damaged, what with them being at the opposite end of the plane and only protected by a fuselage that has no fire-proofing whatsoever, a massive luggage hold and the passenger compartment floor.

Comment

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
                  What could be the possible cause of this incident?
                  Friend who's a pilot said that the tug towing the plane ran out of oil, resulting in an engine fire.

Comment

Originally posted by cowie View Post
                    Friend who's a pilot said that the tug towing the plane ran out of oil, resulting in an engine fire.
                    So the fire came from the tug and not from the aircraft. Thanks.
                    High temperture may weaken air craft matel structure. Guess is needed to do thru some kind of inspection after repair.

Comment

Originally posted by cowie View Post
                      Wow isn't that quite a bit of negligence on the airport ground handling company (I assume it is SATS...?) to allow a tow truck to run out of (engine) oil...? I guess we will know for sure once the investigation is completed and if and when the investigation report to this incident comes up...

Comment

Originally posted by wlgspotter View Post
                        Wow isn't that quite a bit of negligence on the airport ground handling company (I assume it is SATS...?) to allow a tow truck to run out of (engine) oil...? I guess we will know for sure once the investigation is completed and if and when the investigation report to this incident comes up...
                        The tow tug was from SIA Engineering. Never heard of the rumour of engine oil running out but I heard that the tug was less than a year old. It was a towbarless airtug which aggravated the situation compared to the conventional tug.

Comment

Thank you for clearing up my confusion again. I keep somehow thinking it's black spray paint in that photo after the plane was set upon by a mob of angry graffiti vandals who somehow got access to the Changi runway.

Yes, I really do hope none of the 2006 ex-77W Y seats got damaged, what with them being at the opposite end of the plane and only protected by a fuselage that has no fire-proofing whatsoever, a massive luggage hold and the passenger compartment floor.
                          No problem SQ228. Even before I saw the video, it would look nowhere near spray paint. On the edge of the burnt side, those are colors you'd commonly see if an object burns. I'm sure if someone really did spray graffiti, the laws would be extremely strict; out here most either get by with a fine or jail time.

Yeah I hope so too considering these aircraft recently retrofitted are still staying a bit longer.

Comment

Oh goodness.

Comment

No problem SQ228. Even before I saw the video, it would look nowhere near spray paint. On the edge of the burnt side, those are colors you'd commonly see if an object burns. I'm sure if someone really did spray graffiti, the laws would be extremely strict; out here most either get by with a fine or jail time.

Yeah I hope so too considering these aircraft recently retrofitted are still staying a bit longer.
                              Yes, you make a very convincing point there- Singapore's harsh graffiti laws would definitely act as a deterrent to even the most professional graffiti practitioner capable of pulling off such a feat.

I don't think we should rush to any conclusions though. I have also been concerned that the black residue could be a new voracious form of supermould which has been reported as one of the many complications of global warming. It occurs on the front underside of the aircraft in an area that collects moisture during the previous flight and is then activated upon landing by Singapore's tropical weather conditions. It's a theory gaining much traction on the internet and I fear the fire on the tow truck may have been coincidental.

Comment

Yes, you make a very convincing point there- Singapore's harsh graffiti laws would definitely act as a deterrent to even the most professional graffiti practitioner capable of pulling off such a feat.

I don't think we should rush to any conclusions though. I have also been concerned that the black residue could be a new voracious form of supermould which has been reported as one of the many complications of global warming. It occurs on the front underside of the aircraft in an area that collects moisture during the previous flight and is then activated upon landing by Singapore's tropical weather conditions. It's a theory gaining much traction on the internet and I fear the fire on the tow truck may have been coincidental.
                                From 3D maps to supermould. This is hilarious, for so many reasons.

Comment

Working...
                                X