No announcement yet.

Scoot 787 Dreamliner to Athens & Greek islands: Mykonos and Santorini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first part of the flight was flown in darkness, but as we approached the Middle East and Europe, the sun rose, and the latter part of the flight was flown in daylight...

I can't be sure about this, but on this 787, the electronically dimmable window shades went a lot darker than my previous Dreamliner flights on earlier 787's delivered to JAL and BA.

On my previous 787 flights, even at the darkest setting, the shades were dark blue at best, and you could still see out a little if it was bright sunlight outside.

On this plane, at its darkest setting, the window appeared much darker than I remembered them to be on previous 787 flights...

I suspect, but can't be certain, that these Scoot 787's may have the improved "gen 2" electronically dimmable window shades (But not the future gen 3 described in this article.). If this is the case, then they would have solved one early passenger complaint that on long daytime 787 flights, the window shades did not go dark enough.

Last edited by yflyer; 26 September 2017, 01:36 PM.

Comment

I strolled through the Y cabin to stretch my legs...

A very full flight today. The large 787 windows did give the cabin an open airy feel, though...

A picture of the beautiful curved 787 wing, and the port side Rolls Royce Trent 1000 engine...

Comment

It was time for the 2nd meal service...

We both needed our morning dose of caffeine. I reluctantly bit the bullet and paid SGD 4 each for 2 cups of instant hazelnut coffee...

The two meal choices were chicken with rice, or beef with pasta. We had one of each...

The tray as presented...

While this was classic low cost budget airline cutlery and presentation, the meal itself was quite delicious...in some ways tastier than some of SQ's PEY meals (Which are just Y meals).

The lemon chicken was moist and tasty, and the pilaf rice was fluffy. Very satisfying.

The other choice, beef with pasta, was quite delicious too.

In terms of taste and presentation, I found the ScootBiz long haul meal casseroles on par with, or better than SQ's PEY mains.

Comment

Then it was time for duty-free sales...

Another view of the ScootBiz seat which provided very good rest for me during the overnight portion of the flight...I slept quite well on this seat...

Comment

Descent and on-time arrival into Athens...

Athens Airport is modern and well organised...immigration did not take too long that morning, and we were through to baggage claim fairly quickly.

This is how you spell "Singapore" in Greek...

Impressions of Scoot TR702 in ScootBiz?

A smooth and very comfortable flight.

Mrs yflyer and I both had enough rest on the flight to immediately begin sightseeing the day we landed. Onboard service on our flight was very good, with very cheerful, responsive and professional cabin crew.

ScootBiz is closer to PEY than a true airline business class product, and even in the front cabin, there are many extras which SQ economy or premum Y provides (pillows, blankets, free flow of alcoholic and soft beverages etc) that you need to pay for in ScootBiz.

But in the most important areas, such as personal space, seat comfort, catering, and cabin service, ScootBiz met expectations and delivered a good inflight experience for this pair of travellers.

At least in ScootBiz, flying an LCC on a long haul flight is something we were quite happy with, and would be very comfortable doing it again.

As for Scoot long haul economy, we would find out on our ATH-SIN return leg on TR701 (To skip straight to our return flight, click here.), but that was in 8 days time, and it was now time to explore Greece.
            Last edited by yflyer; 24 September 2017, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Once out of the terminal, we headed across the main terminal driveway...

...to the Metro station across the road to catch the metro/train into the city.

A fixed price taxi from the airport to Athens costs a reasonable EUR35, but we decided to see how far we could get on our vacation utilizing public transport. Besides, the time taken was not too different: About 45 mins either by car or train, and our hotel was right next to Syntagma Square Metro station.

Metro tickets to the city cost EUR 10 per person (EUR18 for two people). There is a counter to buy tickets, but you can also buy them from the automated machine.

The metro from the airport to the city runs every half hour: on the hour, and 30 minutes past. You catch the Line 3 metro train headed towards Agia Marina. Just follow the other travellers -- they are all going to Athens. A fairly straightforward process.

Closer to the city, the train became fairly crowded, but getting off at Syntagma Square station was ok because quite a few other people also got off there.

Before exiting Syntagma station, we took a few moments to explore the archaeological exhibits within the station itself. While the metro system was being dug, the construction crews found so many ancient artifacts that many of the metro stations have mini museums within them exhibiting these artifacts. What an amazing way to take in the history of a city.

This was 5th century BC plumbing...

Amazingly fine artifacts from 4 BC...

Mosaic flooring from 4 AD...

Even in 2 BC, the Greeks were enjoying fine wine...

...and these were just a few of the exhibits on display in this metro station...

We emerged from the metro station right next to our hotel...
              Last edited by yflyer; 10 September 2017, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Our hotel for our first night in Athens was the Grande Bretagne, a Luxury Collection hotel which, miraculously, was available for an SPG points redemption on that date.

This is a hotel with a long and storied history, intertwined with that of Athens and Greece.

The hotel is in a very central location, right alongside Syntagma Square, next to the Greek Parliament, and close to the Acropolis and other attractions.

A beautiful lobby...

We were given a room on the 6th floor Butler level.

It is always nice to stay in a hotel with beautiful, centrally located staircases...

Our check-in was done in the butler level reception area, where we were offered champagne, coffee or tea as we were checked in...

Last edited by yflyer; 24 September 2017, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Our room was luxuriously decorated...

...and had a balcony overlooking the Greek Parliament...

Large LCD television and small writing table...

Bathroom with separate tub...

...and shower...

Gilchrist and Soames toiletries...

Comment

Our room had a wonderful location overlooking the Greek Parliament, right in front of Syntagma Square. From the balcony, we could observe the changing of the guard...

...which took place every hour, on the hour, at the square below...

Last edited by yflyer; 13 September 2017, 10:17 PM.

Comment

At the next hour, we headed downstairs to the Square itself to observe the changing of the guard up close.

The ceremonial guards themselves are conscripts (The Greek equivalent of NSFs) who are chosen to serve in this role during their 9 month service in the army.

The stylised marching in this ceremony is highly synchronized and impressive to watch.

The soldiers train in pairs as many of the steps in the ceremony need to be perfectly synchronized by each pair of guards.

A brief but very watchable changing-of-the-guard ceremony that always attracts a large crowd of onlookers during daytime hours.
                      Last edited by yflyer; 11 September 2017, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Our next activity was a private guided tour of Athens and the Acropolis, which we arranged through the hotel concierge.

We arrived in Athens too late in the day to participate in one of the city's many group tours of the city and the Acropolis, which usually begin in the morning.

We were considering doing our own walking tour, which in terms of maps and location, was quite feasible with Google Maps and the internet. But I corresponded with the hotel concierge team via email in the days prior to arrival, and they were able to arrange for a private guide from 12.30pm to 4.30pm. This was not inexpensive, but our tour guide, Despina, who met us at the hotel, was excellent.

Based on our interests and requirements, she tailored a walking itinerary for us on the spot, covering the main attractions, and beginning with a snack ("Souvlaki!") and a few city highlights, such as Monastiraki, before a very extensive walking tour of the Ancient Agora and the Acropolis complex, ending at the new Acropolis Museum almost 4 hours later.

In retrospect, I realize that for Athens and the Acropolis, a knowledgeable guide is key to making sense of what you saw. Our private walking tour was wholly absorbing, and quite jawdropping, as we learnt the significance of where were were going, and what we were seeing, as it was explained to us by our guide.

It was less of a tour than an intensive tutorial in Greek history, philosophy and mythology. I told her afterwards...if we had gone around on our own, we would have walked the same ground, and seen the same things, but learnt nothing!

After introductions in the hotel lobby, Despina led us out the door into a hot Athens mid-day afternoon for our tour of the city and the Acropolis...

To be continued!
                        Last edited by yflyer; 25 September 2017, 05:41 PM.

Comment

thanks for another wonderfully comprehensive and detailed TR (after a hiatus for me). As usual, your pics are captioned from a traveller's perspective to immerse the reader in to your trip.

I have never flown on LCCs, but considered AirAsiaX and Scoot Biz for various shorter hauls like MEL and TPE, etc. Despite your positive bottomline, i dont know whether I'll stomach Scoot even if its Biz for - what? 11 hours? I think the seat is fair enough for the price that was paid (how much was it in all eventually, together with teh upgrade?). But having to think abt whether to pay for this and pay for that each time one wants something like blankets, IFE, coffee (even if its hazelnut), that;s prob something i'm not used to.

Still your narrative does a fair accounting of your ScootBiz to ATH, whether its your eloquent writing or in reality; your comparison of the food with SQ PEY is indicting on the Mother Carrier actually - intentional?

Good choice of hotel, with such marvellous amenities and view, make me think abt ATH now. But I'll hold my breath as you continue. Including your signature run

Comment

Hi. What an enjoyable read.
                            And will be quite relevant as I a much contemplating a Greek escapade next year using ScootBiz too. So far have not seen prices below $800 though.

It looks like Scoot is doing well in all classes, it looks pretty full on your flight.

As for the aircon vent, I know I think someone on SQ really hates it. I think it's bad. I find cabin temperatures always too warm on SQ. I think they set it at 22. And almost always, I have to ask for lowering of temperature then I can sleep like a baby - at 20. At home, I put at 17. Haha.

I also like the meal kit. Looks cool, compact, and fun. I thought the meals are quite small though for such a Long flight. What do you think?

Hotel looks awesome too. Champagne was on the house? Are you at SPG topmost tier? At most usually I get with Taj (of which I am topmost tier) is local Indian wine..... I never got anything alcoholic from Hilton Gold or IHG Gold.

Enjoy your vacation. Thanks for live updating even when you are still there.

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
                              thanks for another wonderfully comprehensive and detailed TR (after a hiatus for me). As usual, your pics are captioned from a traveller's perspective to immerse the reader in to your trip.
                              Thanks, jammed!

I have never flown on LCCs, but considered AirAsiaX and Scoot Biz for various shorter hauls like MEL and TPE, etc. Despite your positive bottomline, i dont know whether I'll stomach Scoot even if its Biz for - what? 11 hours? I think the seat is fair enough for the price that was paid (how much was it in all eventually, together with teh upgrade?).
                              We paid about SGD950 total for the Y ticket, which included meals, luggage and seat selecton. For the oneway upgrade, our successful bid was around SGD300, which meant total fare per person (ScootBiz there, Economy back) was just under SGD 1300. If we had wanted to buy ScootBiz tickets, rather than bid, it would have cost more than that, probably between SGD600-900 more each way.

But having to think abt whether to pay for this and pay for that each time one wants something like blankets, IFE, coffee (even if its hazelnut), that;s prob something i'm not used to.
                              Ya...it took a bit of getting used to...stowed my wallet and passport in a locked backpack but had to keep my visa card in my pocket throughout the flight to pay for every single thing. But it was something I could get used to. All these extras do add up, but overall the ticket price was still lower than a full service carrier, and this was the only direct service to Athens.

your comparison of the food with SQ PEY is indicting on the Mother Carrier actually - intentional?
                              Well SQ PEY food is essentially Y food, and I found the ScootBiz main course casserole to be better than the SQ Y / PEY main course casserole. I think there is an opportunity for SQ to enhance it's PEY meals to be more in line with the competition. Most other full service carrier PEY meals have some kind of enhancement over Y.

Good choice of hotel, with such marvellous amenities and view, make me think abt ATH now.
                              Yes, a really nice hotel. In general, I prefer modern hotels to old style "Grand" hotels, but this place has so much history it was very pleasant to stay there. And the concierge and butler team were exceptional.

But I'll hold my breath as you continue. Including your signature run
                              Haha, you know me well! Yes, a run, and a couple of walks, coming up!

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
                                Hi. What an enjoyable read.
                                Thanks, SQueeze!

And will be quite relevant as I a much contemplating a Greek escapade next year using ScootBiz too. So far have not seen prices below $800 though.
                                Yes, do consider a Greek holiday! I have not seen return fares below SGD800, although suggest checking fares often as the prices do fluctuate a lot. Fares might dip further off-season, as very few tourists visit the Greek islands like Santorini in the winter months. On the other hand, there probably isn't much point going to the Greek islands off season, as most places are closed.

I think airfares are at an all time low right now. You can get promotional Y fares as low as SGD950 to Athens and some other European destinations on several other full service airlines. Of course these are one stop flights which add hours to your travel time. Scoot's direct flight is still the most convenient.

It looks like Scoot is doing well in all classes, it looks pretty full on your flight.
                                I think Scoot has a winner here with their Athens service. I was initially sceptical of long haul LCC, but after experiencing it, I think it is perfectly feasible for the budget conscious holiday traveller. I think LCC long haul services to other European destinations, and the USA will do well well too.

The flight to Athens was quite full both ways. I also noticed many pax appeared to be connecting to/from other Scoot services from Australia or Asia as well.

I also like the meal kit. Looks cool, compact, and fun. I thought the meals are quite small though for such a Long flight. What do you think?
                                I thought I might supplement the food with cup noodles, which were available, but actually, given that this was an overnight flight when I am asleep anyway, I actually felt quite full after the catered meals, and didn't order any extra food on the SIN-ATH sector.

Hotel looks awesome too. Champagne was on the house? Are you at SPG topmost tier? At most usually I get with Taj (of which I am topmost tier) is local Indian wine..... I never got anything alcoholic from Hilton Gold or IHG Gold.
                                I am SPG Platinum this year , so was upgraded to a Butler level room with a nice view, as well as an early check in at 11am. They treat SPG Platinum quite well at this property! I think anyone who stays at the Butler level gets these perks.

Never been Taj top tier, but I heard they treat you very well!

Enjoy your vacation. Thanks for live updating even when you are still there.
                                Thanks! Actually, I'm back in SG already...reliving the vacation by writing this TR :-)
                                Last edited by yflyer; 11 September 2017, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X