SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
    btw, photos of ZK-OKI (ex 9V-SVL) now flying on lease to Air NZ... they didn't paint over the SQ livery? (albeit with the tail bird painted over blue)
    looks so awkward!
    No they didn’t indeed. Being a short term lease I guess it is not worthwhile doing so. It does look weird I must say, kind of “incomplete”...

I’ve read, however, that LATAM could paint both ex SVD and SVF into their colours as I believe both are currently all white - may be easier and cheaper to paint an all white aircraft as you probably don’t have to strip off the existing livery or use more white paint to cover it, thereby adding weight to the aircraft...

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
      Indeed you are right about SVD. BI returned it and its time since then has been mostly at ASP. I know what a car would smell like after being locked up in fierce heat for a few years! Perhaps the old config better matches LATAM's 787 seating requirements?
      You might be right about the Spacebed config birds perhaps being a better match for LATAM’s 787, from a seat count capacity point of view.. The A-Net discussion mentions that LATAM is going to use the ex SQ birds for the SCL-AKL-SYD run, which is typically operated by the 789. LATAM’s 789 have 30 Business Class seats and 285 economy, so the Spacebeds, at 30J/C and 255Y, would better match it. Could be a downgrade for the Business pax tho as LATAM’s 789 features fully lie-flat business class seats...

Comment

• Originally posted by wlgspotter View Post
        No they didn’t indeed. Being a short term lease I guess it is not worthwhile doing so. It does look weird I must say, kind of “incomplete”...

I’ve read, however, that LATAM could paint both ex SVD and SVF into their colours as I believe both are currently all white - may be easier and cheaper to paint an all white aircraft as you probably don’t have to strip off the existing livery or use more white paint to cover it, thereby adding weight to the aircraft...
        more likely im surprised SQ doesnt mind having its incomplete livery flying around that way with another airline.

Comment

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
          more likely im surprised SQ doesnt mind having its incomplete livery flying around that way with another airline.
          Very true... However, remember that when SQ decided to retire SVL its logo and titles were removed, and registration was changed to an Nxxxx USA registration, as is ownership of the aircraft. I guess at that point SQ already doesn’t own nor operate the aircraft and hence have “no say” in what is painted on the aircraft... If they are really concerned they would have remove their livery completely from the aircraft before the transfer of ownership. As it stands Air New Zealand leased it directly from BCC (Boeing Capital Corp) and must have decided it isn;t worthwhile painting it...

It actually does look weird and “incomplete” with the basic SQ livery on it.

Comment

• SVE landed at SYD on a charter flight with Scoot. A few minutes later ZK-OKI landed. Very obvious where it came from.

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
              SVE landed at SYD on a charter flight with Scoot. A few minutes later ZK-OKI landed. Very obvious where it came from.
              Ha would be interesting if both are parked side by side!

Comment

• Need to lookout for 9V-SRM... been away for 2 months. IIRC was also out of service for a few months 2 years ago, so it appears strange for it to be due for another major check requiring it to be out of service for so long again.

still no clue which 772R will be leaving the fleet this year.
                (and yeah SRM has the 2006Y so if it leaves, it'll be even more queer)

Comment

• Just wonder how many 772 left now. I am at the lounge now waiting for SQ968 which will be delay for an hour. Waiting for SRO to arrive from MNL. It was 2 hours late departing MNL.

My wonder why can't SQ swap the aircraft for SQ968.

It is terrible 1 hour delay for 1.5 hour flight
                  visit my blog

Comment

• Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
                    Just wonder how many 772 left now. I am at the lounge now waiting for SQ968 which will be delay for an hour. Waiting for SRO to arrive from MNL. It was 2 hours late departing MNL.
                    8 772s left... but with SRM out of service for 2 months, the in-service 772 fleet drops to 7.

Comment

• I was quite surprise that SRO safety video has already used the new version.

I was on 772ER to MNL and the safety video was the old one.

SQ really have no spare flight to be used for CGK?
                      visit my blog

Comment

• When will be see all the 772 vanish from SQ fleets? I believe these are the aircrafts that drag the average age of SQ fleets to 7.xx years which is older than Garuda (6.xx years)
                        visit my blog

Comment

• Looks like some of the 772s/773s will still be around for the next 2 to 3 years.
                          However the average age of SIA fleet will still be at least 6 years plus or older, as we must remember that quite a number of the 773ERs will be reaching their 10th year and a few have hit the 10 year and not forgetting that few of the A380s are in their 10th year or reaching and these 14 A380s which will be refurbished and reconfigured will be around for at least the next 5 to 10 years more. And these will bring up the average fleet age.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                            Looks like some of the 772s/773s will still be around for the next 2 to 3 years.
                            However the average age of SIA fleet will still be at least 6 years plus or older, as we must remember that quite a number of the 773ERs will be reaching their 10th year and a few have hit the 10 year and not forgetting that few of the A380s are in their 10th year or reaching and these 14 A380s which will be refurbished and reconfigured will be around for at least the next 5 to 10 years more. And these will bring up the average fleet age.
                            And let’s also remember that there’s absolutely nothing wrong with a slightly older fleet as long as it’s well maintained.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                              Looks like some of the 772s/773s will still be around for the next 2 to 3 years.
                              The average fleet age will go up... and then down drastically.

According to an analysis by FlightGlobal we will see 99 new aircraft, including 78Js, A359s and 779s, enter the SQ fleet over the next 4 years, with deliveries peaking in 2021 with 43 aircraft to be delivered. These should be much more than enough to replace all the classic 777s, the first batch of 77Ws, as well as all remaining A330s.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...-shape-449215/

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ957 View Post
                                According to an analysis by FlightGlobal we will see 99 new aircraft, including 78Js, A359s and 779s, enter the SQ fleet over the next 4 years,
                                99 aircraft is almost the entire current fleet. They have had around 30 new aircraft in the last 2.5 years, just about finished refurbishing the 77W fleet and are about to start on the A380 fleet. I can't see any of those been withdrawn from service in the next 4 year, maybe they'll retire a few of the A380 instead of refit but we could be looking at a fleet size of 150+ in 4 years time.
                                Last edited by SQ217; 25 July 2018, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X